Any good command line new reader programs? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Any good command line new reader programs? - Mandriva ; Is there any good news reading program for the command line? I have been using nn, but it has a pittiful kill feature. It only allows kills on subject or name and it has not instead of killing the selected ...

  1. Any good command line new reader programs?

    Is there any good news reading program for the command line? I have been
    using nn, but it has a pittiful kill feature. It only allows kills on
    subject or name and it has not instead of killing the selected posts, it
    selects them so I am either forced to read them or go through and unselect
    them by hand-- hardly what I want.

    I need a command line reader since I usually read from a remote machine
    over the net, and a gui reader would simply be hopelessly slow in the X
    displaying. (Don;t ask, my university in its wisdom has decided that noone
    needs a news feed.

  2. Re: Any good command line new reader programs?

    On 2007-08-22, Bill Unruh wrote:
    > Is there any good news reading program for the command line? I have been
    > using nn, but it has a pittiful kill feature. It only allows kills on
    > subject or name and it has not instead of killing the selected posts, it
    > selects them so I am either forced to read them or go through and unselect
    > them by hand-- hardly what I want.
    >
    > I need a command line reader since I usually read from a remote machine
    > over the net, and a gui reader would simply be hopelessly slow in the X
    > displaying. (Don;t ask, my university in its wisdom has decided that noone
    > needs a news feed.

    A friend recommended slrn to me several years ago, and I
    have been happy with it ever since.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  3. Re: Any good command line new reader programs?

    * Bill Unruh wrote in alt.os.linux.mandriva:
    > Is there any good news reading program for the command line? I have been
    > using nn, but it has a pittiful kill feature. It only allows kills on
    > subject or name and it has not instead of killing the selected posts, it
    > selects them so I am either forced to read them or go through and unselect
    > them by hand-- hardly what I want.

    > I need a command line reader since I usually read from a remote machine
    > over the net, and a gui reader would simply be hopelessly slow in the X
    > displaying. (Don;t ask, my university in its wisdom has decided that noone
    > needs a news feed.

    slrn and tin come to mind, both very capable.

    --
    David
    This PORCUPINE knows his ZIPCODE ... And he has "VISA"!!

  4. Re: Any good command line new reader programs?

    Bill Unruh wrote:
    > Is there any good news reading program for the command line? I have been

    slrn

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  5. Re: Any good command line new reader programs?

    On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 19:29:00 +0000, Bill Unruh wrote:

    > Is there any good news reading program for the command line? I have been
    > using nn, but it has a pittiful kill feature. It only allows kills on
    > subject or name and it has not instead of killing the selected posts, it
    > selects them so I am either forced to read them or go through and unselect
    > them by hand-- hardly what I want.
    >
    > I need a command line reader since I usually read from a remote machine
    > over the net, and a gui reader would simply be hopelessly slow in the X
    > displaying. (Don;t ask, my university in its wisdom has decided that noone
    > needs a news feed.

    slrn or tin. Both are outstanding.

  6. Re: Any good command line new reader programs?

    Bill Unruh wrote:
    > Is there any good news reading program for the command line? I have been
    > using nn, but it has a pittiful kill feature. It only allows kills on
    > subject or name and it has not instead of killing the selected posts, it
    > selects them so I am either forced to read them or go through and unselect
    > them by hand-- hardly what I want.

    slrn
    "...is highly customizable..."
    http://www.slrn.org/