Newbie:...unable to install from dvd - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Newbie:...unable to install from dvd - Mandriva ; Hi , I have been trying to install a few programs from DVD but the system refuse to recognise the dvd. I am using PowerPack 2006 I always get the message to please insert the dvd even when is already ...

  1. Newbie:...unable to install from dvd

    Hi ,
    I have been trying to install a few programs from DVD but the system
    refuse to recognise the dvd.

    I am using PowerPack 2006
    I always get the message to please insert the dvd even when is already
    inserted...
    I deleted the .LOCK and .RPMLOCK file but they keep showing ( I believe
    this is one of the reason why I can not install...) I tryed running
    urpmi.addmedia main and updates and I receive the message below...

    If i remember well, recently a tread appeared mentioning the same problem
    but I am not able to retrace it. To search for it I used the same sentence
    as the subject of this post...
    Any help in finding the tread or about my problem is greatly
    appreciated...

    santo

    [root@localhost santo]# urpmi.addmedia main
    rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/main
    with media_info/hdlist.cz

    unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "The UltimateLinuxDesktop
    DVD (cdrom3)" ...
    medium "main" already exists

    [root@localhost santo]# urpmi.addmedia --update updates
    rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/old/updates/2006.0/main_updates/
    with media_info/hdlist.cz unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium
    "The Ultimate Linux Desktop DVD (cdrom3)" ...
    medium "updates" already exists
    [root@localhost santo]#

  2. Re: Newbie:...unable to install from dvd

    santo wrote:
    > Hi ,
    > I have been trying to install a few programs from DVD but the system
    > refuse to recognise the dvd.
    >
    > I am using PowerPack 2006
    > I always get the message to please insert the dvd even when is already
    > inserted...
    > I deleted the .LOCK and .RPMLOCK file but they keep showing ( I believe
    > this is one of the reason why I can not install...) I tryed running
    > urpmi.addmedia main and updates and I receive the message below...
    >
    > If i remember well, recently a tread appeared mentioning the same problem
    > but I am not able to retrace it. To search for it I used the same sentence
    > as the subject of this post...
    > Any help in finding the tread or about my problem is greatly
    > appreciated...
    >
    > santo
    >
    > [root@localhost santo]# urpmi.addmedia main
    > rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/main
    > with media_info/hdlist.cz
    >
    > unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "The UltimateLinuxDesktop
    > DVD (cdrom3)" ...
    > medium "main" already exists
    >
    > [root@localhost santo]# urpmi.addmedia --update updates
    > rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/old/updates/2006.0/main_updates/
    > with media_info/hdlist.cz unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium
    > "The Ultimate Linux Desktop DVD (cdrom3)" ...
    > medium "updates" already exists
    > [root@localhost santo]#

    you probably alredy got this part but make sure the dvd is in a dvd
    drive and it is mounted at /mnt/cdrom.

    if that don't work then look at the path in the media manager under mcc.

  3. Re: Newbie:...unable to install from dvd

    On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:06:18 +0000, chris gareau wrote:

    > santo wrote:
    >> Hi ,
    >> I have been trying to install a few programs from DVD but the system
    >> refuse to recognise the dvd.
    >>
    >> I am using PowerPack 2006
    >> I always get the message to please insert the dvd even when is already
    >> inserted...
    >> I deleted the .LOCK and .RPMLOCK file but they keep showing ( I believe
    >> this is one of the reason why I can not install...) I tryed running
    >> urpmi.addmedia main and updates and I receive the message below...
    >>
    >> If i remember well, recently a tread appeared mentioning the same problem
    >> but I am not able to retrace it. To search for it I used the same sentence
    >> as the subject of this post...
    >> Any help in finding the tread or about my problem is greatly
    >> appreciated...
    >>
    >> santo
    >>
    >> [root@localhost santo]# urpmi.addmedia main
    >> rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/main
    >> with media_info/hdlist.cz
    >>
    >> unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "The UltimateLinuxDesktop
    >> DVD (cdrom3)" ...
    >> medium "main" already exists
    >>
    >> [root@localhost santo]# urpmi.addmedia --update updates
    >> rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/old/updates/2006.0/main_updates/
    >> with media_info/hdlist.cz unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium
    >> "The Ultimate Linux Desktop DVD (cdrom3)" ...
    >> medium "updates" already exists
    >> [root@localhost santo]#

    > you probably alredy got this part but make sure the dvd is in a dvd
    > drive and it is mounted at /mnt/cdrom.

    > if that don't work then look at the path in the media manager under mcc.

    I did previously change the drive from a combo drive to a DVD writer
    (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42N)...it obviously made some changes automatically
    in the fstab file as well...

    from mcc I get the following:

    "Old device file: /dev/hdc "

    "New devfs device: /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd "

    ....and this is from fstab file

    /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom1 auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,utf8,codepage=850,iocharset =iso8859-1,managed 0 0

    the lines referring to "devfs..." and the fstab line are too complicated
    for me, I remember them to be much simpler before.

    I am not so sure what I have to do next...
    Thanks for answering...
    santo

  4. Re: Newbie:...unable to install from dvd

    santo wrote:

    > the lines referring to "devfs..." and the fstab line are too complicated
    > for me, I remember them to be much simpler before.

    > I am not so sure what I have to do next...

    Sorry, but I have no clue what you should do, but for an explanation of
    the fstab fields you can

    man fstab

  5. Re: Newbie:...unable to install from dvd

    On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:32:36 -0400, Iordani wrote:

    > Sorry, but I have no clue what you should do, but for an explanation of
    > the fstab fields you can

    Except for pamconsole, and managed, which are haldaemon entries. See
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...d1e94f761977f?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: Newbie:...unable to install from dvd

    On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 21:13:24 -0400, santo wrote:

    >>> unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "The UltimateLinuxDesktop
    >>> DVD (cdrom3)" ...
    >>> medium "main" already exists

    > I did previously change the drive from a combo drive to a DVD writer
    > (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42N)...it obviously made some changes automatically
    > in the fstab file as well...
    > /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom1 auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,utf8,codepage=850,iocharset =iso8859-1,managed 0 0
    > the lines referring to "devfs..." and the fstab line are too complicated
    > for me, I remember them to be much simpler before.

    The pamconsole and managed paramaters are added by haldaemon. pamconsoleis similar
    to the users option, but restricts mounting to local users. The managed parm means the
    line was added by the haldaemon. If the managed paramater is not there,then the fstab
    entry for device will not be altered, by haldaemon/udev etc.

    The problem is udev has changed the device name(s) assigned to the cd/dvd drive. If you
    look at the file /etc/udev/rules.d/61-block_config.rules, it will have one line for each
    location, on the pci bus, where you've had a cd/dvd drive installed, with the /dev/filenames
    to be used for each.

    Delete all of those lines, and then run "service udev restart", which will recreate
    the lines based on where the cd/dvd drive is currently installed, and set it to use
    the device names "cdrom cdrom0 cdrw cdrw0 dvd dvd0" (assuming you only have one drive).

    Change the /etc/fstab entry to use /mnt/cdrom. Edit /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg, and change
    all of the /mnt/cdrom3 entries to /mnt/cdrom.

    Make sure the directory /mnt/cdrom exists, to be used as a mountpoint.

    Mount the install dvd with "mount /mnt/cdrom", or "mount /dev/hdc".

    rpmdrake should now be able to find the dvd.

    For future reference, you cannot use urpmi.addmedia to add a repository,that already
    exists. You have to remove the existing entry first.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: Newbie:...unable to install from dvd

    On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 19:58:51 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 21:13:24 -0400, santo wrote:

    > The problem is udev has changed the device name(s) assigned to the cd/dvd drive. If you
    > look at the file /etc/udev/rules.d/61-block_config.rules

    ....unfortunately no such a file is present in this directory...
    but I've found the following entries in /etc/devfs/config.d/dvd.conf:

    REGISTER ^ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd dvd
    UNREGISTER ^ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink dvd

    ....and i tryed - just to see what happen...- the service command after
    making a copy of this file of course...

    > Delete all of those lines, and then run "service udev restart", which
    > will recreate the lines based on where the cd/dvd drive is currently
    > installed, and set it to use the device names "cdrom cdrom0 cdrw cdrw0
    > dvd dvd0" (assuming you only have one drive).

    Of course nothing happened...

    > Change the /etc/fstab entry to use /mnt/cdrom. Edit
    > /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg, and change all of the /mnt/cdrom3 entries to
    > /mnt/cdrom.

    of course I tryed the above also...nothing...
    Just for the record...in the original posting I only copied the
    /mnt/cdrom3 part because was the begginning of the message. Of course it
    repeat the same message from /mnt/cdrom1 through /mnt/cdrom6...

    > Make sure the directory /mnt/cdrom exists,

    it exist...actually there are two /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/cdrom1...

    > Mount the install dvd with "mount /mnt/cdrom", or "mount /dev/hdc".

    ....no matter what I try when I use the mount command I always get the
    message "no media found"

    ....Would a reinstall solve the problem in case I can not figure out a
    solution?

    Thanks
    santo
    > For future reference, you cannot use urpmi.addmedia to add a repository,
    > that already exists. You have to remove the existing entry first.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

  8. Re: Newbie:...unable to install from dvd

    On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 17:20:56 -0400, santo wrote:

    > but I've found the following entries in /etc/devfs/config.d/dvd.conf:
    > REGISTER ^ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd dvd
    > UNREGISTER ^ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink dvd

    Oh right, you said you're using 2006, which I no longer have
    installed for testing with. If I remember correctly, in 2006 you
    had to specify devfs=nomount in the boot pararmeters, to let udev
    run. I suspect you installed 2006 as an upgrade to a prior version,
    rather then as a clean instlall, hence have devfs running, as well
    as part of udev.

    Try adding "devfs=nomount" to your boot paramaters, and see if
    udev will work properly then.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  9. Re: Newbie:...unable to install from dvd

    On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 18:01:50 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 17:20:56 -0400, santo wrote:

    > Try adding "devfs=nomount" to your boot paramaters, and see if
    > udev will work properly then.

    ....yep!
    this seems to have solved the problem...
    ....added the line to the "append" strig of lilo...
    Had to do some google
    search for this , as i was not sure what adding a line to the boot
    parameter actually meant...
    Thanks a lot mister
    santo

+ Reply to Thread