Where do the boot messages go? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Where do the boot messages go? - Mandriva ; They scroll up so fast that I miss some of the messages. dmesg doesn't show them, nor does the syslog. For example, the website to update clamav shows up with plenty of asterisks, but even if this is an old ...

  1. Where do the boot messages go?

    They scroll up so fast that I miss some of the messages. dmesg doesn't
    show them, nor does the syslog. For example, the website to update
    clamav shows up with plenty of asterisks, but even if this is an old
    computer the messages just whiz by. Where are the sacred burial
    grounds of those messages?

  2. Re: Where do the boot messages go?

    shedied@gmail.com wrote:
    > They scroll up so fast that I miss some of the messages. dmesg doesn't
    > show them, nor does the syslog. For example, the website to update
    > clamav shows up with plenty of asterisks, but even if this is an old
    > computer the messages just whiz by. Where are the sacred burial
    > grounds of those messages?

    /var/log and its subdirectories is the repository for most system log files.
    For other things loaded at boot or otherwise, you might also try something
    like locate clamav and if you find a directory dedicated to it look there and
    in subordinate directories.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: Where do the boot messages go?

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
    <1187563029.973503.41170@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>, shedied@gmail.com wrote:

    >They scroll up so fast that I miss some of the messages. dmesg doesn't
    >show them, nor does the syslog.

    That depends on A) the distribution, B) the version/release, and C) the
    run-level you are booting to. No details makes it hard to answer.

    >For example, the website to update clamav shows up with plenty of
    >asterisks, but even if this is an old computer the messages just whiz
    >by.

    That sounds like "error" messages. Errors are sent to 'stderr' which
    in most cases is the screen/display ONLY. Assuming you are running an
    older distribution in a text based mode (runlevel 3 in Mandr*), the
    ways to see the messages are to pause the boot (pressing the left
    Ctrl and 's' key at the same time may work - press Ctrl+q to continue,
    or insert 'sleep' commands in the problem boot script), or you can
    look back in the screen buffer by pressing the Shift and Page Up/Down
    keys _BEFORE_ you log in. The later won't work if you are using a GUI
    login, but the typical display manager can be set to direct error
    messages to a file - see the appropriate man page

    >Where are the sacred burial grounds of those messages?

    The Great Bit Bucket In The Sky

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread