wine problem under Mandriva 2007.0 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on wine problem under Mandriva 2007.0 - Mandriva ; I have installed wine on my Mandriva 2007.0 system. When I try to run anything or install it under wine my KDE session gets closed and restarts automatically. Similarly with Crossover Office, so I'm pretty sure the problem is wine ...

  1. wine problem under Mandriva 2007.0

    I have installed wine on my Mandriva 2007.0 system. When I try to run
    anything or install it under wine my KDE session gets closed and restarts
    automatically. Similarly with Crossover Office, so I'm pretty sure the
    problem is wine related. According to the KDE Control Centre I am using
    release 2.6.17-5mdv.

    Are others here aware of this problem and what is required to overcome it?

    TIA

    Rob.

  2. Re: wine problem under Mandriva 2007.0

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 17:35:20 +0100, Rob wrote:

    > I have installed wine on my Mandriva 2007.0 system. When I try to run
    > anything or install it under wine my KDE session gets closed and
    > restarts automatically. Similarly with Crossover Office, so I'm pretty
    > sure the problem is wine related. According to the KDE Control Centre I
    > am using release 2.6.17-5mdv.
    >
    > Are others here aware of this problem and what is required to overcome
    > it?

    The above release number is your kernel, not wine. I had a similar problem
    after upgrading wine from 0.9.28-1mdv. I can't tell you which version
    caused me the same problem but I reverted to the older version and
    everything worked OK. The latest release of wine from Mandriva appears to
    be 0.9.33-1mdv.

    --
    jabali

  3. Re: wine problem under Mandriva 2007.0

    On 2007-08-18, Jabali Pragya wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 17:35:20 +0100, Rob wrote:
    >
    >> I have installed wine on my Mandriva 2007.0 system. When I try to run
    >> anything or install it under wine my KDE session gets closed and
    >> restarts automatically. Similarly with Crossover Office, so I'm pretty
    >> sure the problem is wine related. According to the KDE Control Centre I
    >> am using release 2.6.17-5mdv.
    >>
    >> Are others here aware of this problem and what is required to overcome
    >> it?
    >>

    > The above release number is your kernel, not wine. I had a similar problem
    > after upgrading wine from 0.9.28-1mdv. I can't tell you which version
    > caused me the same problem but I reverted to the older version and
    > everything worked OK. The latest release of wine from Mandriva appears to
    > be 0.9.33-1mdv.

    It's probably unrelated, but it would almost certainly be a
    good idea to upgrade to kernel 2.6.17-14mdv. There have
    been quite a few update kernels since 2.6.17-5mdv.

    Man of the other times some application has crashed KDE, the
    root cause has been a problem with the graphics card driver
    or flaky hardware. A good way to check hardware is to run
    memtest86 overnight. I'm told a good way to check the
    graphics card and its driver is to run glxgears and/or other
    heavy graphics software to see whether it crashes X.

    HTH

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  4. Re: wine problem under Mandriva 2007.0

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 18:55:05 +0000, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > it would almost certainly be a
    > good idea to upgrade to kernel 2.6.17-14mdv. There have
    > been quite a few update kernels since 2.6.17-5mdv.

    Is there a FAQ or 'how to' file showing how to upgrade?

    --
    Maurice

  5. Re: wine problem under Mandriva 2007.0

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 18:55:05 +0000, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >
    >> it would almost certainly be a
    >> good idea to upgrade to kernel 2.6.17-14mdv. There have
    >> been quite a few update kernels since 2.6.17-5mdv.

    > Is there a FAQ or 'how to' file showing how to upgrade?

    Maurice,

    Me again

    There is actually a page on the Mandriva site about updating the kernel, but
    I've not been brave enough to take that step *yet*! This issue with WINE
    may be the incentive I need to make that move...

    http://www.mandriva.com/en/security/kernelupdate

    Rob

  6. Re: wine problem under Mandriva 2007.0

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 22:32:36 +1000, Rob wrote:

    > here is actually a page on the Mandriva site about updating the kernel, but
    > I've not been brave enough to take that step *yet*!:
    >
    > http://www.mandriva.com/en/security/kernelupdate

    I did a kernel update back in my SuSE 9.0 days, and that worked perfectly,
    but that Mandriva page does not clearly enough describe what has to be done (in
    /boot/grub), so I hesitate.

    I can see roughly what is involved, but not exactly.

    But I would like to update...

    --
    Maurice

  7. Re: wine problem under Mandriva 2007.0

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 22:32:36 +1000, Rob wrote:
    >
    >> here is actually a page on the Mandriva site about updating the kernel,
    >> but I've not been brave enough to take that step *yet*!:
    >>
    >> http://www.mandriva.com/en/security/kernelupdate

    > I did a kernel update back in my SuSE 9.0 days, and that worked
    > perfectly,
    > but that Mandriva page does not clearly enough describe what has to be
    > done (in /boot/grub), so I hesitate.
    >
    > I can see roughly what is involved, but not exactly.
    >
    > But I would like to update...

    I'll try it myself later this week when I have free time. First off I'd
    better make a partition image so I can get things back to current state if
    it fails

    Rob.

  8. Re: wine problem under Mandriva 2007.0

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 22:32:36 +1000, Rob wrote:
    >
    >> here is actually a page on the Mandriva site about updating the kernel, but
    >> I've not been brave enough to take that step *yet*!:
    >>
    >> http://www.mandriva.com/en/security/kernelupdate

    > I did a kernel update back in my SuSE 9.0 days, and that worked perfectly,
    > but that Mandriva page does not clearly enough describe what has to be done (in
    > /boot/grub), so I hesitate.
    >
    > I can see roughly what is involved, but not exactly.
    >
    > But I would like to update...

    For each kernel, you must have a stanza in /boot/grub/menu.lst. Mine
    look like this at the moment.

    title 2.6.17-13
    kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-13mdv BOOT_IMAGE=2.6.17-13 root=/dev/sdb1
    resume=/dev/sdb5 splash=silent vga=788
    initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd-2.6.17-13mdv.img

    title 2.6.17-14
    kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-14mdv BOOT_IMAGE=2.6.17-14 root=/dev/sdb1
    resume=/dev/sdb5 splash=silent vga=788
    initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd-2.6.17-14mdv.img

    title desktop smp 2.6.17.14-mm-5
    kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-5mdvsmp
    BOOT_IMAGE=desktop_smp_2.6.17.14-mm-5 root=/dev/sdb1 resume=/dev/sdb5
    splash=silent vga=788
    initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd-2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-5mdvsmp.img

    If you install the new kernel using mcc, urpmi, or the source makefile
    (make, make modules_install, make install), the stanza for the new
    kernel will be automatically added to menu.lst. I recommend looking
    at it, comparing with the stanza for a kernel known to work, and making
    necessary changes (if any -- usually none in my experience). If it is
    missing or does not parallel the earlier working stanza, you will need to
    make manual changes.

    By default, Mandriva has symbolic links in /boot (config, initrd.img,
    kernel.h, System.map, and vmlinuz) that point to the current default
    kernel files. The kernel installer will not change these, so you must
    either select the kernel you want from the boot menu, going by its full
    name, or change the symlinks to point to the kernel files you want to
    use as defaults.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  9. Re: wine problem under Mandriva 2007.0

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 21:18:15 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    > you must
    > either select the kernel you want from the boot menu, going by its full
    > name, or change the symlinks to point to the kernel files you want to
    > use as defaults.

    My menu.lst is (just showing the normal Linux part):

    "title Linux: Mandriva 2007
    kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb5 resume=/dev/hdb6 splash=silent
    vga=788 initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.img"

    So do I understand correctly that that would not be changed (so would still work
    - if I wanted to boot the older kernel) and that another stanza would be
    added automatically that I could select to boot the new kernel?

    If so, then as I would not have to change anything, I'm happy to go ahead.

    --
    Maurice

  10. Re: wine problem under Mandriva 2007.0

    On 2007-08-20, Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 21:18:15 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> you must
    >> either select the kernel you want from the boot menu, going by its full
    >> name, or change the symlinks to point to the kernel files you want to
    >> use as defaults.

    > My menu.lst is (just showing the normal Linux part):
    >
    > "title Linux: Mandriva 2007
    > kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb5 resume=/dev/hdb6 splash=silent
    > vga=788 initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.img"
    >
    > So do I understand correctly that that would not be changed (so would still work
    > - if I wanted to boot the older kernel) and that another stanza would be
    > added automatically that I could select to boot the new kernel?
    >
    > If so, then as I would not have to change anything, I'm happy to go ahead.

    The /boot/vmlinuz symbolic link usually points to the most
    recent kernel. It can be left as is. I'm told with Lilo
    you have to run lilo after making any change to the config
    file or after moving any files around in /boot. Grub reads
    the filesystems so changes to the config file are taken at
    face value without having to jump through other hoops.

    The important thing is to be certain you are installing the
    new kernel with_OUT_ removing the old one. That gives you
    the choice to boot from either kernel, just in case there's a
    problem with the new one.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  11. Re: wine problem under Mandriva 2007.0

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 21:18:15 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> you must
    >> either select the kernel you want from the boot menu, going by its full
    >> name, or change the symlinks to point to the kernel files you want to
    >> use as defaults.

    > My menu.lst is (just showing the normal Linux part):
    >
    > "title Linux: Mandriva 2007
    > kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb5 resume=/dev/hdb6 splash=silent
    > vga=788 initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.img"
    >
    > So do I understand correctly that that would not be changed (so would still work
    > - if I wanted to boot the older kernel) and that another stanza would be
    > added automatically that I could select to boot the new kernel?
    >
    > If so, then as I would not have to change anything, I'm happy to go ahead.

    Plunge ahead. Your existing stanzas should not be changed at all. A new
    stanza should be added to allow you to select it.

    Do copy (as root) menu.lst to menu.bak just in case, and I recommend
    inspecting the new menu.lst before using it, just in case.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  12. Re: wine problem under Mandriva 2007.0

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 00:10:38 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Plunge ahead.

    Did so just now. New kernel up and running nicely after reboot.

    (This was directly after a system crash/wreck (hardware glitch somewhere)
    needing a restore from drive image backup - which fortuitously I had done last
    thing yesterday!)

    Many thanks for various help! Muchj appreciated...

    --
    Maurice

  13. Re: wine problem under Mandriva 2007.0

    Rob wrote:

    > Maurice Batey wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 22:32:36 +1000, Rob wrote:
    >>
    >>> here is actually a page on the Mandriva site about updating the kernel,
    >>> but I've not been brave enough to take that step *yet*!:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.mandriva.com/en/security/kernelupdate

    >> I did a kernel update back in my SuSE 9.0 days, and that worked
    >> perfectly,
    >> but that Mandriva page does not clearly enough describe what has to be
    >> done (in /boot/grub), so I hesitate.
    >>
    >> I can see roughly what is involved, but not exactly.
    >>
    >> But I would like to update...
    >>

    > I'll try it myself later this week when I have free time. First off I'd
    > better make a partition image so I can get things back to current state if
    > it fails

    Just a follow-up note to thank everyone for your info on the need to
    updating my kernel as a means to fixing my wine problem.

    I had thought that *might* be the solution to my problem, but people here
    definitely confirmed that. I have just done the update and recompiled a
    module related to my graphics card (nvidea ti4200 chipset). All that is
    working superbly.

    BTW, what is the suggested frequency of checking for kernel updates? FWIW,
    I'm now running 2007.0 with kernel 2.6.17-14mdv which I believe is the
    latest available for this distro.

    Now that I have crossover office installed properly I can check if it lets
    me fully install the windows applications I still need. Onward & Upwards!!

    Thanks again to all those who helped me here with this one...

    Rob.

+ Reply to Thread