Changing resolution of unknown intel graphics chip - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Changing resolution of unknown intel graphics chip - Mandriva ; Identification Vendor: Intel Corporation Description: Integrated Graphics Controller Media class: VGA compatible controller Connection Bus: PCI Bus PCI #: 0 PCI device #: 2 PCI function #: 0 Vendor ID: 0x8086 Device ID: 0x29c2 Sub vendor ID: 0x1028 Sub device ...

  1. Changing resolution of unknown intel graphics chip

    Identification
    Vendor: Intel Corporation

    Media class: VGA compatible controller

    Connection
    Bus: PCI

    Bus PCI #: 0

    PCI device #: 2

    PCI function #: 0

    Vendor ID: 0x8086

    Device ID: 0x29c2

    Sub vendor ID: 0x1028

    Sub device ID: 0x0238

    Misc
    Module: unknown

    I cannot get this to display in 1440x900 (or anything other than 1024x768x16
    for that matter) no matter what I do. The computer is a brand new Dell
    Vostro (nightmare install BTW), the dell website claims it has an X3100
    graphics chip, which apparently uses the 965GM chip.

    I'm not convinced by this as that should work straight out of the box.
    915resolution says it cannot identify the chipset.

    Any ideas?

    --
    Brian Wakem

  2. Re: Changing resolution of unknown intel graphics chip

    Brian Wakem wrote:

    > Identification
    > Vendor: Intel Corporation

    > Media class: VGA compatible controller
    >

    > I cannot get this to display in 1440x900 (or anything other than
    > 1024x768x16
    > for that matter) no matter what I do. The computer is a brand new Dell
    > Vostro (nightmare install BTW), the dell website claims it has an X3100
    > graphics chip, which apparently uses the 965GM chip.
    >
    > I'm not convinced by this as that should work straight out of the box.
    > 915resolution says it cannot identify the chipset.

    Sorry, should have said this is using Spring 2007 powerpack.

    --
    Brian Wakem

  3. Re: Changing resolution of unknown intel graphics chip

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 14:00:34 +0100, Brian Wakem wrote:

    > Identification
    > Vendor: Intel Corporation

    > Media class: VGA compatible controller
    >
    > Connection
    > Bus: PCI
    >
    > Bus PCI #: 0
    >
    > PCI device #: 2
    >
    > PCI function #: 0
    >
    > Vendor ID: 0x8086
    >
    > Device ID: 0x29c2
    >
    > Sub vendor ID: 0x1028
    >
    > Sub device ID: 0x0238
    >
    > Misc
    > Module: unknown
    >

    > I cannot get this to display in 1440x900 (or anything other than 1024x768x16
    > for that matter) no matter what I do. The computer is a brand new Dell
    > Vostro (nightmare install BTW), the dell website claims it has an X3100
    > graphics chip, which apparently uses the 965GM chip.
    >
    > I'm not convinced by this as that should work straight out of the box.
    > 915resolution says it cannot identify the chipset.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Have you tried installing the 'new' intel video driver? I used to have
    problems with my Gateway laptop not displaying it's native 1024x768 -
    would only do 800x600 and 640x480. First cut was to use the proprietary
    driver from XIgraphics - that worked, but had some small issues. With the
    latest madrivel and the latest ubuntu the new inter driver works fine - it
    has to be added after installation.

  4. Re: Changing resolution of unknown intel graphics chip

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 09:00:34 -0400, Brian Wakem wrote:

    > I cannot get this to display in 1440x900 (or anything other than 1024x768x16
    > for that matter) no matter what I do. The computer is a brand new Dell
    > Vostro (nightmare install BTW), the dell website claims it has an X3100
    > graphics chip, which apparently uses the 965GM chip.

    Have you installed the package x11-driver-video-intel13 ?

    From what I've read, the driver name to be specified in xorg.conf is intel,
    rather then i810.

    From http://intellinuxgraphics.org/install.html you need to add
    agpgart, intel-agp, drm and i915 to /etc/modprobe.preload.

    See http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p...4fd3392a1172a1
    for a sample xorg.conf, with the "1440x900" Modes lines.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: Changing resolution of unknown intel graphics chip

    ray wrote:

    > On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 14:00:34 +0100, Brian Wakem wrote:
    >
    >> Identification
    >> Vendor: Intel Corporation

    >> Media class: VGA compatible controller
    >>
    >> Connection
    >> Bus: PCI
    >>
    >> Bus PCI #: 0
    >>
    >> PCI device #: 2
    >>
    >> PCI function #: 0
    >>
    >> Vendor ID: 0x8086
    >>
    >> Device ID: 0x29c2
    >>
    >> Sub vendor ID: 0x1028
    >>
    >> Sub device ID: 0x0238
    >>
    >> Misc
    >> Module: unknown
    >>

    >> I cannot get this to display in 1440x900 (or anything other than
    >> 1024x768x16
    >> for that matter) no matter what I do. The computer is a brand new Dell
    >> Vostro (nightmare install BTW), the dell website claims it has an X3100
    >> graphics chip, which apparently uses the 965GM chip.
    >>
    >> I'm not convinced by this as that should work straight out of the box.
    >> 915resolution says it cannot identify the chipset.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > Have you tried installing the 'new' intel video driver?

    I have tried. Unfortunately it gives me errors about not having xorg-server
    or xvmc installed (both are installed).

    --
    Brian Wakem

  6. Re: Changing resolution of unknown intel graphics chip

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 09:00:34 -0400, Brian Wakem wrote:
    >
    >> I cannot get this to display in 1440x900 (or anything other than
    >> 1024x768x16
    >> for that matter) no matter what I do. The computer is a brand new Dell
    >> Vostro (nightmare install BTW), the dell website claims it has an X3100
    >> graphics chip, which apparently uses the 965GM chip.

    > Have you installed the package x11-driver-video-intel13 ?

    No. I will try it though.

    > From what I've read, the driver name to be specified in xorg.conf is
    > intel,
    > rather then i810.

    I have tried both.

    > From http://intellinuxgraphics.org/install.html you need to add
    > agpgart, intel-agp, drm and i915 to /etc/modprobe.preload.

    I will try that.

    >http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p...4fd3392a1172a1
    > for a sample xorg.conf, with the "1440x900" Modes lines.

    My xorg.conf already has the 1440x900 mode line.

    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks, I will give everything you said a try tomorrow (the machine is not
    here).

    --
    Brian Wakem

  7. Re: Changing resolution of unknown intel graphics chip

    Brian Wakem wrote:

    > Thanks, I will give everything you said a try tomorrow (the machine is not
    > here).

    Well I have tried everything and more but no joy.

    I gave up and bought an nvidia card and installed the nvidia drivers,
    problem solved.

    --
    Brian Wakem

+ Reply to Thread