leave a program running after closing ssh session - Mandriva

This is a discussion on leave a program running after closing ssh session - Mandriva ; as I understand if I close an ssh session all prosesses running in that session die. I have setp a small toy server on my network, and I wanted to run the "folding at home" program on it, the program ...

  1. leave a program running after closing ssh session

    as I understand if I close an ssh session all prosesses running in that
    session die.

    I have setp a small toy server on my network, and I wanted to run the
    "folding at home" program on it, the program is not a deamon so there
    goes running it in a init script and I don't want to have to leave an
    other computer up just to keep an ssh session alive.

    is there a way to login run the program then disconnect and still have
    the program running.

    my server has no keyboard monitor or mouse on it.

  2. Re: leave a program running after closing ssh session

    On 2007-08-17, chris gareau wrote:
    > as I understand if I close an ssh session all prosesses running in that
    > session die.
    >
    > I have setp a small toy server on my network, and I wanted to run the
    > "folding at home" program on it, the program is not a deamon so there
    > goes running it in a init script and I don't want to have to leave an
    > other computer up just to keep an ssh session alive.
    >
    > is there a way to login run the program then disconnect and still have
    > the program running.
    >
    > my server has no keyboard monitor or mouse on it.

    The usual answer is to use 'nohup'. If that doesn't work,
    try 'setsid'.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  3. Re: leave a program running after closing ssh session

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > On 2007-08-17, chris gareau wrote:
    >> as I understand if I close an ssh session all prosesses running in that
    >> session die.
    >>
    >> I have setp a small toy server on my network, and I wanted to run the
    >> "folding at home" program on it, the program is not a deamon so there
    >> goes running it in a init script and I don't want to have to leave an
    >> other computer up just to keep an ssh session alive.
    >>
    >> is there a way to login run the program then disconnect and still have
    >> the program running.
    >>
    >> my server has no keyboard monitor or mouse on it.

    > The usual answer is to use 'nohup'. If that doesn't work,
    > try 'setsid'.

    thanx worked

  4. Re: leave a program running after closing ssh session

    chris gareau wrote:

    > Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >> On 2007-08-17, chris gareau wrote:
    >>> as I understand if I close an ssh session all prosesses running in that
    >>> session die.
    >>>
    >>> I have setp a small toy server on my network, and I wanted to run the
    >>> "folding at home" program on it, the program is not a deamon so there
    >>> goes running it in a init script and I don't want to have to leave an
    >>> other computer up just to keep an ssh session alive.
    >>>
    >>> is there a way to login run the program then disconnect and still have
    >>> the program running.
    >>>
    >>> my server has no keyboard monitor or mouse on it.

    >> The usual answer is to use 'nohup'. If that doesn't work,
    >> try 'setsid'.
    >>

    > thanx worked

    there is a mandrakelinux folding club. hope u sign up for that one.

    --
    Love is all u need.

  5. Re: leave a program running after closing ssh session

    patrickdarcy wrote:
    > chris gareau wrote:
    >

    >> Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    >>> The usual answer is to use 'nohup'. If that doesn't work,
    >>> try 'setsid'.
    >>>

    >> thanx worked

    > there is a mandrakelinux folding club. hope u sign up for that one.

    is there a way for me to be on 2 teams??

+ Reply to Thread