Install Sring One to USB Flash Drive - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Install Sring One to USB Flash Drive - Mandriva ; I notice that Mandriva are now selling Linux on a stick. What I would like to know is, is it possible to install the free Mandriva Spring One 2007 to my own USB Flash Drive, such that I can boot ...

  1. Install Sring One to USB Flash Drive

    I notice that Mandriva are now selling Linux on a stick.

    What I would like to know is, is it possible to install the free
    Mandriva Spring One 2007 to my own USB Flash Drive, such that I can
    boot Mandriva from the USB? I downloaded the Gnome Live CD i386, if
    that makes any difference?

    Thanks.

    Joseph

  2. Re: Install Sring One to USB Flash Drive

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 05:12:02 -0400, JB wrote:

    > What I would like to know is, is it possible to install the free
    > Mandriva Spring One 2007 to my own USB Flash Drive, such that I can
    > boot Mandriva from the USB? I downloaded the Gnome Live CD i386, if
    > that makes any difference?

    I haven't tried it, but I expect you could copy the live cd directly
    to a flash drive, with something like
    dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/sda

    Double check the device names, of course. Then it's just a matter
    of modifying the boot sequence, to boot from the usb drive first.

    In general, I only recommend the use of "Live CDs", for emergency
    access, or for learning the basics, and seeing if linux will work
    with your hardware.

    Once your satisfied that it works, and you'd like to install it,
    I'd go with the full dvd, as the live cds don't include many things
    you'll need, in the future.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Install Sring One to USB Flash Drive

    JB writes:

    >I notice that Mandriva are now selling Linux on a stick.

    >What I would like to know is, is it possible to install the free
    >Mandriva Spring One 2007 to my own USB Flash Drive, such that I can
    >boot Mandriva from the USB? I downloaded the Gnome Live CD i386, if
    >that makes any difference?

    Your best bet is to get MCNLive -- this is a live distro based on Mandriva
    Spring 2007.1 and it is possible to alter and configure it for your own
    desires (at least I am trying to do so right now). It also allows
    installation on a USB stick.

    >Thanks.

    >Joseph

+ Reply to Thread