xsane doesn't find Mustek scanner - Mandriva

This is a discussion on xsane doesn't find Mustek scanner - Mandriva ; My Mustek 1200 UB PLUS scanner doesn't seem to be totally recognized. Running 2007.1. sane-find-scanner appears to find my scanner... [root@localhost chris]# sane-find-scanner -v This is sane-find-scanner from sane-backends 1.0.18 # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If ...

  1. xsane doesn't find Mustek scanner

    My Mustek 1200 UB PLUS scanner doesn't seem to be totally recognized.

    Running 2007.1.

    sane-find-scanner appears to find my scanner...

    [root@localhost chris]# sane-find-scanner -v
    This is sane-find-scanner from sane-backends 1.0.18

    # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
    # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
    # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

    searching for SCSI scanners:
    checking /dev/scanner... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sg0... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sg1... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sg2... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sg3... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sg4... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sg5... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sg6... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sg7... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sg8... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sg9... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sga... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgb... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgc... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgd... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sge... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgf... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgg... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgh... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgi... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgj... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgk... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgl... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgm... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgn... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgo... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgp... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgq... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgr... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgs... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgt... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgu... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgv... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgw... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgx... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgy... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/sgz... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
    that
    # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

    searching for USB scanners:
    checking /dev/usb/scanner... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usb/scanner0... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usb/scanner1... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usb/scanner2... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usb/scanner3... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usb/scanner4... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usb/scanner5... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usb/scanner5... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usb/scanner7... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usb/scanner8... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usb/scanner9... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usb/scanner10... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usb/scanner11... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usb/scanner12... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usb/scanner13... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usb/scanner14... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usb/scanner15... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usbscanner... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usbscanner0... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usbscanner1... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usbscanner2... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usbscanner3... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usbscanner4... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usbscanner5... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usbscanner6... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usbscanner7... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usbscanner8... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usbscanner9... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usbscanner10... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usbscanner11... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usbscanner12... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usbscanner13... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usbscanner14... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    checking /dev/usbscanner15... failed to open (Invalid argument)
    found USB scanner (vendor=0x05d8, product=0x4002, chip=GT-6801) at
    libusb:002:005
    # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported
    by

    # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

    # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
    # can't be detected by this program.
    done

    But scanimage doesn't find it:

    [root@localhost chris]# scanimage -L

    The firmware file (sbfw.usb) is in /usr/share/sane/gt68xx

    I have uncommented out mustek_usb in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf. Everything else
    is commented out. I have previously also tried commenting out gt68xx,
    artec, mustek, mustek_pp, mustek_usb2, plustek, and plustek_pp.

    I have uncommmented out
    /dev/usb/scanner0
    option 1200ub

    in /etc/sane.d/mustek_usb.conf

    Still, xsane says "no devices available, even when I run as root".

    Not sure what else I should be doing. Any help would be appreciated.

  2. Re: xsane doesn't find Mustek scanner

    On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 14:00:15 -0400, Flip Wilson wrote:

    > My Mustek 1200 UB PLUS scanner doesn't seem to be totally recognized.
    > [root@localhost chris]# sane-find-scanner -v
    > found USB scanner (vendor=0x05d8, product=0x4002, chip=GT-6801) at
    > libusb:002:005
    > [root@localhost chris]# scanimage -L
    > No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,

    Check man sane-mustek_usb and edit /etc/sane.d/mustek_usb.conf
    to uncomment the lines with
    #/dev/usb/scanner0
    #option 1200ub
    or the lines with
    #/dev/usbscanner0
    #option 1200ub

    and see if either of those work.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: xsane doesn't find Mustek scanner

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Check man sane-mustek_usb and edit /etc/sane.d/mustek_usb.conf
    > to uncomment the lines with
    > #/dev/usb/scanner0
    > #option 1200ub
    > or the lines with
    > #/dev/usbscanner0
    > #option 1200ub
    >
    > and see if either of those work.

    Thanks for the advice. I had already tried the former, and just now tried
    the later. I still get the "no devices available" message.

  4. Re: xsane doesn't find Mustek scanner

    On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 14:00:15 -0400, Flip Wilson wrote:

    > No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
    > check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
    > sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
    > which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
    >

    > The firmware file (sbfw.usb) is in /usr/share/sane/gt68xx

    You've got the firmware file in there but did you tell it where the
    firmware is?I don't remember offhand but there's a line ..
    firmware=/LOCATION in snapscan.conf in /etc/sane.d.I'm not sure about
    Mandriva but that's what I had to do in PCLos 2007 with my Epson firmware
    file.

    Dave

    --
    Registered Linux user # 444770

  5. Re: xsane doesn't find Mustek scanner

    On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 20:46:19 -0400, Flip Wilson wrote:

    > Thanks for the advice. I had already tried the former, and just now tried
    > the later. I still get the "no devices available" message.

    The only advice I have left, is to check to see if any newer backends
    (i.e. beta) are available.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: xsane doesn't find Mustek scanner

    Dave wrote:

    > On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 14:00:15 -0400, Flip Wilson wrote:
    >>
    >> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
    >> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
    >> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
    >> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
    >>

    >> The firmware file (sbfw.usb) is in /usr/share/sane/gt68xx
    >>

    > You've got the firmware file in there but did you tell it where the
    > firmware is?I don't remember offhand but there's a line ..
    > firmware=/LOCATION in snapscan.conf in /etc/sane.d.I'm not sure about
    > Mandriva but that's what I had to do in PCLos 2007 with my Epson firmware
    > file.
    >
    > Dave

    Yes. My snapscan.conf has a line:

    firmware /usr/share/sane/gt68xx/sbfw.usb

  7. Re: xsane doesn't find Mustek scanner

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 20:46:19 -0400, Flip Wilson wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the advice. I had already tried the former, and just now tried
    >> the later. I still get the "no devices available" message.

    > The only advice I have left, is to check to see if any newer backends
    > (i.e. beta) are available.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    I was able to use this scanner with the existing backends when I was running
    2007.0. Not sure what changed. If anyone else could provide some
    suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

  8. Re: xsane doesn't find Mustek scanner

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 13:14:37 -0400, Flip Wilson wrote:

    > I was able to use this scanner with the existing backends when I was running
    > 2007.0. Not sure what changed. If anyone else could provide some
    > suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

    Which kernel are you running? 2.6.17-13 had some problems with usb
    devices (hanging on disconnect), but may also be causing a problem
    with the scanner.

    If you haven't already, install kernel-2.6.17-14mdv, and the
    kernel-source-2.6.17-14mdv, or kernel-source-stripped-2.6.17.14mdv
    if you're using any dkms modules, or compiling any kernel modules
    yourself.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  9. Re: xsane doesn't find Mustek scanner

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 13:14:37 -0400, Flip Wilson wrote:
    >
    >> I was able to use this scanner with the existing backends when I was
    >> running 2007.0. Not sure what changed. If anyone else could provide some
    >> suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

    > Which kernel are you running? 2.6.17-13 had some problems with usb
    > devices (hanging on disconnect), but may also be causing a problem
    > with the scanner.
    >
    > If you haven't already, install kernel-2.6.17-14mdv, and the
    > kernel-source-2.6.17-14mdv, or kernel-source-stripped-2.6.17.14mdv
    > if you're using any dkms modules, or compiling any kernel modules
    > yourself.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    uname -a gives me:

    Linux localhost 2.6.17-13mdv #1 SMP Fri Mar 23 19:03:31 UTC 2007 i686
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz GNU/Linux

    kernel-source-stripped 2.6.17-13 is installed as well. I'll update to
    2.6.17-14 and report back.

  10. Re: xsane doesn't find Mustek scanner

    Flip Wilson wrote:

    > kernel-source-stripped 2.6.17-13 is installed as well. I'll update to
    > 2.6.17-14 and report back.

    Mandriva package installer won't let me install 2.6.17-14. Says it's on
    the "skip list"?

  11. Re: xsane doesn't find Mustek scanner

    Flip Wilson wrote:

    > Flip Wilson wrote:
    >

    >> kernel-source-stripped 2.6.17-13 is installed as well. I'll update to
    >> 2.6.17-14 and report back.

    > Mandriva package installer won't let me install 2.6.17-14. Says it's on
    > the "skip list"?

    OK. I got 2.6.17-14 installed, but xsane still says "no devices available"

  12. Re: xsane doesn't find Mustek scanner - FIXED

    Flip Wilson wrote:

    > Flip Wilson wrote:
    >
    >> Flip Wilson wrote:
    >>

    >>> kernel-source-stripped 2.6.17-13 is installed as well. I'll update to
    >>> 2.6.17-14 and report back.

    >> Mandriva package installer won't let me install 2.6.17-14. Says it's on
    >> the "skip list"?

    > OK. I got 2.6.17-14 installed, but xsane still says "no devices available"

    My bad. Didn't uncomment out a usb line in the dll.conf.

    Now about that damn tv card....

+ Reply to Thread