MyBook USB Drive w/XP & Linux - Mandriva

This is a discussion on MyBook USB Drive w/XP & Linux - Mandriva ; I have a dual boot setup with XP and Mandriva 2007 and am looking for a good portable backup system for both. Has anyone used the MyBook in this kind of configuration? I'm interested in a setup than uses XP ...

  1. MyBook USB Drive w/XP & Linux

    I have a dual boot setup with XP and Mandriva 2007 and am looking for a good
    portable backup system for both. Has anyone used the MyBook in this kind
    of configuration? I'm interested in a setup than uses XP ghost type backup
    with restore points & can also backup Linux with whatever free backup stuff
    I can use with Mandriva. If anyone knows of a drive/software setup that
    does restore point backups for both XP and Linux I'm especially interested
    in that.

  2. Re: MyBook USB Drive w/XP & Linux

    BW wrote:

    > I have a dual boot setup with XP and Mandriva 2007 and am looking for a
    > good
    > portable backup system for both. Has anyone used the MyBook in this kind
    > of configuration? I'm interested in a setup than uses XP ghost type
    > backup with restore points & can also backup Linux with whatever free
    > backup stuff
    > I can use with Mandriva. If anyone knows of a drive/software setup that
    > does restore point backups for both XP and Linux I'm especially interested
    > in that.

    I have an Iomega Desktop Hard Drive - it says on the box 'Hi-Speed USB 2.0'.
    The box says it works with PC & Mac - nothing about Linux. However it works
    perfectly with Mandriva 2007.0 out of the box My particular USB HD can
    hold 320GB of data and operates at 7200 RPM (according to the box). When I
    bought this one, I noticed that the Iomega drives are also available is a
    number of different data capacities. The drive is portable, but is
    definitely not a pocket type. See the specification at
    http://tinyurl.com/2yonso
    This site is for the asia-pacific region and I'm not sure if the models
    shown there are available worldwide.

    The software I use is called 'System Rescue CD' and is a bootable CD (based
    on the gentoo distro) which contains all sorts of useful software including
    partimage, a partition imaging program not unlike Symantec Ghost. The other
    software I have used from that disc is GParted, a partition editor not
    unlike the various commercial partition managers available for Windows.
    See details at http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

    I'm not sure about the restore point backup bit, but in any case making a
    partition image with partimage for my 66GB /home partition (ext3) only
    takes about 10 minutes.

    The great thing about these 2 programs is that they can handle, among
    others, NTFS, FAT32, ext3 filesystem partitions and their data. I'm not
    sure if the new Vista NTFS format is supported yet.

    HTH

    Rob.

  3. Re: MyBook USB Drive w/XP & Linux

    Rob wrote:

    > BW wrote:
    >
    >> I have a dual boot setup with XP and Mandriva 2007 and am looking for a
    >> good
    >> portable backup system for both. Has anyone used the MyBook in this kind
    >> of configuration? I'm interested in a setup than uses XP ghost type
    >> backup with restore points & can also backup Linux with whatever free
    >> backup stuff
    >> I can use with Mandriva. If anyone knows of a drive/software setup that
    >> does restore point backups for both XP and Linux I'm especially
    >> interested in that.

    > I have an Iomega Desktop Hard Drive - it says on the box 'Hi-Speed USB
    > 2.0'. The box says it works with PC & Mac - nothing about Linux. However
    > it works
    > perfectly with Mandriva 2007.0 out of the box My particular USB HD can
    > hold 320GB of data and operates at 7200 RPM (according to the box). When
    > I bought this one, I noticed that the Iomega drives are also available is
    > a number of different data capacities. The drive is portable, but is
    > definitely not a pocket type. See the specification at
    > http://tinyurl.com/2yonso
    > This site is for the asia-pacific region and I'm not sure if the models
    > shown there are available worldwide.
    >
    > The software I use is called 'System Rescue CD' and is a bootable CD
    > (based on the gentoo distro) which contains all sorts of useful software
    > including partimage, a partition imaging program not unlike Symantec
    > Ghost. The other software I have used from that disc is GParted, a
    > partition editor not unlike the various commercial partition managers
    > available for Windows. See details at http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
    >

    > I'm not sure about the restore point backup bit, but in any case making a
    > partition image with partimage for my 66GB /home partition (ext3) only
    > takes about 10 minutes.
    >
    > The great thing about these 2 programs is that they can handle, among
    > others, NTFS, FAT32, ext3 filesystem partitions and their data. I'm not
    > sure if the new Vista NTFS format is supported yet.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Rob.

    Thanks! I will look into that.

+ Reply to Thread