external backup drive problems......... - Mandriva

This is a discussion on external backup drive problems......... - Mandriva ; Just updated from 2006 to 2007. Lovin' it, but now I don't have a backup option. Using 2006, I plugged my 20gb hardrive [using an external usb case] into a usb port, and backed up right to it [logged in ...

  1. external backup drive problems.........

    Just updated from 2006 to 2007. Lovin' it, but now I don't have a
    backup option. Using 2006, I plugged my 20gb hardrive [using an
    external usb case] into a usb port, and backed up right to it [logged
    in as root]
    Last night, I bought a 100gb drive, and put it into the external case,
    but when choosing backup options, it's not there! Can get at it thru
    the shell, so it's OK, I'll use commands vs the mouse. Tried
    formating the drive, and readying it for use, and it screwed up my
    internal drive!! What the heck am I doing wrong?

    Reinstalled 2007 on my internal drive, and put all my settings back to
    where they were, but I still haven't a way to backup. Is this not a
    viable option in Mandriva 2007?

  2. Re: external backup drive problems.........

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 08:50:30 -0400, dbc254 wrote:

    > Last night, I bought a 100gb drive, and put it into the external case,
    > but when choosing backup options, it's not there! Can get at it thru
    > the shell, so it's OK, I'll use commands vs the mouse. Tried
    > formating the drive, and readying it for use, and it screwed up my
    > internal drive!! What the heck am I doing wrong?

    What does "sfdisk -l" (as root) show? Is it diskdrake you're using
    to partition and format the drive? Which file system did you select
    for the partition, on the usb drive?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins