[Newbie] Help I've broken my linux box - Mandriva

This is a discussion on [Newbie] Help I've broken my linux box - Mandriva ; Ok, I have had Mandriva 2007 installed for a while now, dual booting between that and XP. Today I tried another linux flavour called 'freespire', which I first ran from the cd, then installed on another partition and drive. I ...

  1. [Newbie] Help I've broken my linux box

    Ok, I have had Mandriva 2007 installed for a while now, dual booting
    between that and XP. Today I tried another linux flavour called
    'freespire', which I first ran from the cd, then installed on another
    partition and drive.
    I then went into Mandriva to change/edit? the bootloader to try and
    include freespire, but after I loaded up 'configure computer' and then
    clicked on 'bootloader options'?? the system froze up. I then did a hard
    re set and tried again on another option/part of configure computer, but
    it just froze up again. AFAIK most other things work but I can't change
    anything now in the computer settings?
    I would like to change the bootloader from lilo to grub, and then
    include freespire, but I can't see how I can do that at the moment.

    Any ideas please? Thanks

  2. Re: [Newbie] Help I've broken my linux box

    Bob H wrote:
    > Ok, I have had Mandriva 2007 installed for a while now, dual booting
    > between that and XP. Today I tried another linux flavour called
    > 'freespire', which I first ran from the cd, then installed on another
    > partition and drive.
    > I then went into Mandriva to change/edit? the bootloader to try and
    > include freespire, but after I loaded up 'configure computer' and then
    > clicked on 'bootloader options'?? the system froze up. I then did a hard
    > re set and tried again on another option/part of configure computer, but
    > it just froze up again. AFAIK most other things work but I can't change
    > anything now in the computer settings?
    > I would like to change the bootloader from lilo to grub, and then
    > include freespire, but I can't see how I can do that at the moment.
    >
    > Any ideas please? Thanks

    Try booting from your Mandriva install disk. The sequence varies for
    different Mandriva versions, but at some point you get a choice
    between installing or options (maybe F1) for rescue. When you get
    to the rescue menu, it will allow you to reinstall the bootloader.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: [Newbie] Help I've broken my linux box

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > Bob H wrote:
    >> Ok, I have had Mandriva 2007 installed for a while now, dual booting
    >> between that and XP. Today I tried another linux flavour called
    >> 'freespire', which I first ran from the cd, then installed on another
    >> partition and drive.
    >> I then went into Mandriva to change/edit? the bootloader to try and
    >> include freespire, but after I loaded up 'configure computer' and then
    >> clicked on 'bootloader options'?? the system froze up. I then did a
    >> hard re set and tried again on another option/part of configure
    >> computer, but it just froze up again. AFAIK most other things work but
    >> I can't change anything now in the computer settings?
    >> I would like to change the bootloader from lilo to grub, and then
    >> include freespire, but I can't see how I can do that at the moment.
    >>
    >> Any ideas please? Thanks

    > Try booting from your Mandriva install disk. The sequence varies for
    > different Mandriva versions, but at some point you get a choice
    > between installing or options (maybe F1) for rescue. When you get
    > to the rescue menu, it will allow you to reinstall the bootloader.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    Thanks Jim, but that didn't work for me. The lilo bootloader was
    reinstalled, but after booting into the system I found I still had the
    same problems as before, as well as now having no sound driver??? or at
    least I get a message telling me it can't be found.

    Thanks

  4. Re: [Newbie] Help I've broken my linux box

    Bob H wrote:

    > Ok, I have had Mandriva 2007 installed for a while now, dual booting
    > between that and XP. Today I tried another linux flavour called
    > 'freespire', which I first ran from the cd, then installed on another
    > partition and drive.
    > I then went into Mandriva to change/edit? the bootloader to try and
    > include freespire, but after I loaded up 'configure computer' and then
    > clicked on 'bootloader options'?? the system froze up. I then did a hard
    > re set and tried again on another option/part of configure computer, but
    > it just froze up again. AFAIK most other things work but I can't change
    > anything now in the computer settings?
    > I would like to change the bootloader from lilo to grub, and then
    > include freespire, but I can't see how I can do that at the moment.
    >
    > Any ideas please? Thanks

    When you get the pretty picture, telling you that "all is well", press
    escape. That'll show you exactly what's going on. Let us know at exactly
    what point the bootup sequence fails.

    --
    Weblog - http://inbothworlds.wordpress.com/
    R.L.U. #300033 - MDV 2006 - KDE 3.4

  5. Re: [Newbie] Help I've broken my linux box

    Bob H wrote:
    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >> Bob H wrote:
    >>> Ok, I have had Mandriva 2007 installed for a while now, dual booting
    >>> between that and XP. Today I tried another linux flavour called
    >>> 'freespire', which I first ran from the cd, then installed on another
    >>> partition and drive.
    >>> I then went into Mandriva to change/edit? the bootloader to try and
    >>> include freespire, but after I loaded up 'configure computer' and
    >>> then clicked on 'bootloader options'?? the system froze up. I then
    >>> did a hard re set and tried again on another option/part of configure
    >>> computer, but it just froze up again. AFAIK most other things work
    >>> but I can't change anything now in the computer settings?
    >>> I would like to change the bootloader from lilo to grub, and then
    >>> include freespire, but I can't see how I can do that at the moment.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas please? Thanks

    >> Try booting from your Mandriva install disk. The sequence varies for
    >> different Mandriva versions, but at some point you get a choice
    >> between installing or options (maybe F1) for rescue. When you get
    >> to the rescue menu, it will allow you to reinstall the bootloader.
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>

    > Thanks Jim, but that didn't work for me. The lilo bootloader was
    > reinstalled, but after booting into the system I found I still had the
    > same problems as before, as well as now having no sound driver??? or at
    > least I get a message telling me it can't be found.

    When you got to the rescue mode bootloader restore, you should
    have had an option to make the bootloader grub. Once you
    have grub in operation, creating a stanza in /boot/grub/menu.lst
    to load freespire should not be too difficult.

    Sound is another issue entirely. cd to /etc/rc.d/init.d
    and do an ls to see what you have there that might be sound-
    related. On my system, I find both alsa and sound, both of
    which are shell scripts to start up alsa. You may have
    others, such as a startup script for arts or artsd. If
    you have them, take a look at them to see what they do, in
    general terms. A grep sound * in the directory can help
    identify scripts concerned with sound.

    Then cd to /etc/rc.d/ and look for something like
    rc.alsa_default. Take a look at what it does. which
    may have implications for your system.

    Then cd to /etc/rc.d/rc5.d. Here you will find a bunch
    of links to the init scripts you looked at earlier. Those
    starting with S load when the machines goes to run
    level 5 (graphic desktop), and the number after the S
    specifies the sequence in which they load.

    If you have two or more links to sound scripts, you may
    need to get rid of all but one. The easy way, easily
    reversable, is (for example) mv S18sound .S18sound. This
    makes the link invisible when the startup scripts are run,
    but leave it unchanged so you can restore it with
    mv .S18sound S18sound if you decide you need it back.

    There are a multitude of other problems that can affect
    sound. You may need to run alsaconf to configure it.
    Sometimes the sound is set to 0 volume intially,
    and you have to launch a mixer or control program of
    some sort to change the volume setting. There is
    much discussion of such, if you have the time to go
    to Google newsgroups and do a little searching using
    is what I use, but arts and oss are other possibilities.

    If you have mlocate or slocate installed,
    locate alsa |grep bin should provide a list
    of commands you may want to look into. You
    may also want to run some or all of these from
    a terminal window, as you get error messages that
    may be illuminating. Going to /var/log and (as
    root, due to permissions) looking at messages
    or grepping for sound or alsa may also provide
    useful information.

    And finally, you may wish to launch KDE Control Center
    (or the Gnome equivalent) and look through that for
    sound-related settings.

    Good luck!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  6. Re: [Newbie] Help I've broken my linux box

    Dave wrote:
    > Bob H wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, I have had Mandriva 2007 installed for a while now, dual booting
    >> between that and XP. Today I tried another linux flavour called
    >> 'freespire', which I first ran from the cd, then installed on another
    >> partition and drive.
    >> I then went into Mandriva to change/edit? the bootloader to try and
    >> include freespire, but after I loaded up 'configure computer' and then
    >> clicked on 'bootloader options'?? the system froze up. I then did a hard
    >> re set and tried again on another option/part of configure computer, but
    >> it just froze up again. AFAIK most other things work but I can't change
    >> anything now in the computer settings?
    >> I would like to change the bootloader from lilo to grub, and then
    >> include freespire, but I can't see how I can do that at the moment.
    >>
    >> Any ideas please? Thanks

    > When you get the pretty picture, telling you that "all is well", press
    > escape. That'll show you exactly what's going on. Let us know at exactly
    > what point the bootup sequence fails.

    I think you may have misunderstood what my problem is.
    Its not with the boot procedure/bootloader, as Mandriva boots up ok. The
    problem is that I cannot change it from lilo to grub as at that point
    the system locks up.

    Thanks

  7. Re: [Newbie] Help I've broken my linux box

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 20:17:10 +0000, Bob H wrote:

    > I would like to change the bootloader from lilo to grub, and then
    > include freespire, but I can't see how I can do that at the moment.

    use mkdir to create a mount point for freespire. ex. mkdir /freespire
    Mount it. ex. mount -t auto /dev/hdXY /freespire you solve for X and Y

    Now you can do a ls -1 /freespire/boot/

    and use something like kwrite /etc/lilo.conf, duplicate a stanza and
    add values for firespire. Example

    image=/freespire/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-13mdv <====== your value here
    label="/freespire"
    root=/dev/hda13 <====== your value here
    initrd=/freespire/boot/initrd-2.6.17-13mdv.img <==== your value here
    append="splash=0"
    vga=790

    click save/quit

    Now install your changes with
    lilo -v

    ignore any messages about boot.0*

    Once working, you can feel free to modify /boot/grub/menu.lst to boot
    whatever you want.
    you install grub with the command
    grub-install '(hd0)'

  8. Re: [Newbie] Help I've broken my linux box

    Bob H wrote:

    > I think you may have misunderstood what my problem is.
    > Its not with the boot procedure/bootloader, as Mandriva boots up ok. The
    > problem is that I cannot change it from lilo to grub as at that point
    > the system locks up.

    So, it's not "broke".

    If I were at work now, that'd be known as a "chargeable call, user error".

    --
    Weblog - http://inbothworlds.wordpress.com/
    R.L.U. #300033 - MDV 2006 - KDE 3.4

  9. Re: [Newbie] Help I've broken my linux box

    Jim Beard wrote:
> [...]

    > sound. You may need to run alsaconf to configure it.
    > Sometimes the sound is set to 0 volume intially,
    > and you have to launch a mixer or control program of
    > some sort to change the volume setting. There is
    > much discussion of such, if you have the time to go
    > to Google newsgroups and do a little searching using
    > is what I use, but arts and oss are other possibilities.
    >
    > If you have mlocate or slocate installed,
    > locate alsa |grep bin should provide a list
    > of commands you may want to look into. You
    > may also want to run some or all of these from
    > a terminal window, as you get error messages that
    > may be illuminating. Going to /var/log and (as
    > root, due to permissions) looking at messages
    > or grepping for sound or alsa may also provide
    > useful information.
    >
    > And finally, you may wish to launch KDE Control Center
    > (or the Gnome equivalent) and look through that for

    Hi Jim, the news server I use was down yesterday so I couldn't post.

    Anyway, I loaded the Mandriva CD1 and went into Rescue mode. The options
    there are 'Reinstall bootloader', 'Restore Windows bootloader', 'Mount
    partitions', 'Go to Console' 'Reboot' and 'Doc whats addressed by Rescue
    mode'

    When I selected 'Reinstall bootloader' there is no option to choose
    between lilo and grub, so only lilo is re installed.
    As mentioned before I am still left with my original problem of lock ups.

    Thanks

  10. Re: [Newbie] Help I've broken my linux box

    Dave wrote:
    > Bob H wrote:
    >
    >> I think you may have misunderstood what my problem is.
    >> Its not with the boot procedure/bootloader, as Mandriva boots up ok. The
    >> problem is that I cannot change it from lilo to grub as at that point
    >> the system locks up.

    > So, it's not "broke".
    >
    > If I were at work now, that'd be known as a "chargeable call, user error".

    err, why is a lockup after clicking on a changeable option?? user error?
    Thats a new one on me.

  11. Re: [Newbie] Help I've broken my linux box

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 20:17:10 +0000, Bob H wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to change the bootloader from lilo to grub, and then
    >> include freespire, but I can't see how I can do that at the moment.

    > use mkdir to create a mount point for freespire. ex. mkdir /freespire
    > Mount it. ex. mount -t auto /dev/hdXY /freespire you solve for X and Y
    >
    > Now you can do a ls -1 /freespire/boot/
    >
    > and use something like kwrite /etc/lilo.conf, duplicate a stanza and
    > add values for firespire. Example
    >
    > image=/freespire/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-13mdv <====== your value here
    > label="/freespire"
    > root=/dev/hda13 <====== your value here
    > initrd=/freespire/boot/initrd-2.6.17-13mdv.img <==== your value here
    > append="splash=0"
    > vga=790
    >
    > click save/quit
    >
    > Now install your changes with
    > lilo -v
    >
    > ignore any messages about boot.0*
    >
    > Once working, you can feel free to modify /boot/grub/menu.lst to boot
    > whatever you want.
    > you install grub with the command
    > grub-install '(hd0)'

    Thanks Bit for your helpful information. Appreciated

  12. Re: [Newbie] Help I've broken my linux box

    On 2007-07-31, Bob H wrote:

    > Anyway, I loaded the Mandriva CD1 and went into Rescue mode. The options
    > there are 'Reinstall bootloader', 'Restore Windows bootloader', 'Mount
    > partitions', 'Go to Console' 'Reboot' and 'Doc whats addressed by Rescue
    > mode'
    >
    > When I selected 'Reinstall bootloader' there is no option to choose
    > between lilo and grub, so only lilo is re installed.
    > As mentioned before I am still left with my original problem of lock ups.

    In a similar discussion some time ago, I heard a suggestion
    to use the 'Upgrade' option but don't select anything for
    upgrading, then install the booloader of your choice if you
    can get to that option.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  13. Re: [Newbie] Help I've broken my linux box

    Bob H wrote:
> [...]

    >> root, due to permissions) looking at messages
    >> or grepping for sound or alsa may also provide
    >> useful information.
    >>
    >> And finally, you may wish to launch KDE Control Center
    >> (or the Gnome equivalent) and look through that for
    >> sound-related settings.
    >>
    >> Good luck!
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>

    > Hi Jim, the news server I use was down yesterday so I couldn't post.
    >
    > Anyway, I loaded the Mandriva CD1 and went into Rescue mode. The options
    > there are 'Reinstall bootloader', 'Restore Windows bootloader', 'Mount
    > partitions', 'Go to Console' 'Reboot' and 'Doc whats addressed by Rescue
    > mode'
    >
    > When I selected 'Reinstall bootloader' there is no option to choose
    > between lilo and grub, so only lilo is re installed.
    > As mentioned before I am still left with my original problem of lock ups.

    If you do not have an option on bootloader, do you have grub installed?
    Look in /boot and see if you have a directory grub with a dozen or so
    files in it.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --