Change localhost - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Change localhost - Mandriva ; I understood that 'localhost' wa synominous wuth 127.0.0.1 and that running #hostname could change it. I have tried changing the line giving 127.0.0.1 - localhost in /etc/netprofile/profiles/defaults/files/etc/hosts to 127.0.0.1 - I have also tried adding HOSTNAME= to /etc/sysconfig/network But when ...

  1. Change localhost

    I understood that 'localhost' wa synominous wuth 127.0.0.1 and that running
    #hostname could change it. I have tried changing the line giving
    127.0.0.1 - localhost in
    /etc/netprofile/profiles/defaults/files/etc/hosts
    to 127.0.0.1 -

    I have also tried adding HOSTNAME= to
    /etc/sysconfig/network

    But when I try http://:631/ for cups nothing is returned. Anybody
    know the answer? The distro version is 2007.0.0.1

  2. Re: Change localhost

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 17:43:09 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:

    > I understood that 'localhost' wa synominous wuth 127.0.0.1 and that running
    > #hostname could change it. I have tried changing the line giving
    > 127.0.0.1 - localhost in
    > /etc/netprofile/profiles/defaults/files/etc/hosts
    > to 127.0.0.1 -
    >
    > I have also tried adding HOSTNAME= to
    > /etc/sysconfig/network
    >
    > But when I try http://:631/ for cups nothing is returned. Anybody
    > know the answer? The distro version is 2007.0.0.1

    Localhost IP is always 127.0.0.1. It's whats assigned to device lo on
    boot. Hostname changes device eth0. Be warned It wouldn't be a good idea
    to change the localhost name or IP address but if you really want to screw
    your system up you can change the address in ifcfg-lo.

  3. Re: Change localhost

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 17:43:09 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:
    > I understood that 'localhost' wa synominous wuth 127.0.0.1 and that running
    > #hostname could change it.

    By the way, changing hostname on a running system may give some
    applications fits. Desktop manager comes to mind.

    > I have tried changing the line giving
    > 127.0.0.1 - localhost in
    > /etc/netprofile/profiles/defaults/files/etc/hosts
    > to 127.0.0.1 -

    No need for that, put it back like you found it
    I also would like for you to do a
    rm /etc/hostname

    > I have also tried adding HOSTNAME= to
    > /etc/sysconfig/network

    That is the file the system uses during boot to normally set the host name.

    > But when I try http://:631/ for cups nothing is returned. Anybody
    > know the answer? The distro version is 2007.0.0.1

    No, idea what release you are running. Looking on my system

    $ cat /etc/release

    Here are my recommendations for hostname.

    $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
    NETWORKING_IPV6=no
    NOZEROCONF=yes
    GATEWAYDEV=eth0
    GATEWAY=192.168.2.1
    HOSTNAME=wb.home.invalid <====== sets FQDN hostname on boot
    NEEDHOSTNAME=no <====== add this line just for fun
    NETWORKING=yes

    $ cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.2.1 fw.home.invalid fw
    192.168.2.12 wb1.home.invalid wb1
    192.168.2.30 wb.home.invalid wb <===== ties ip addy to hostname
    192.168.2.60 scsi.home.invalid scsi

    Next reboot should set hostname based on /etc/sysconfig/network

    Do check name and ip resolution as follows:

    $ ping -c 1 $(hostname -s)

    .------ Your FQDN host name
    | .---------- ip address
    V V
    PING wb.home.invalid (192.168.2.30) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from wb.home.invalid (192.168.2.30): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.024 ms

    --- wb.home.invalid ping statistics ---
    1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms

  4. Re: Change localhost

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > I understood that 'localhost' wa synominous wuth 127.0.0.1 and that
    > running
    > #hostname could change it. I have tried changing the line giving
    > 127.0.0.1 - localhost in
    > /etc/netprofile/profiles/defaults/files/etc/hosts
    > to 127.0.0.1 -
    >
    > I have also tried adding HOSTNAME= to
    > /etc/sysconfig/network
    >
    > But when I try http://:631/ for cups nothing is returned. Anybody
    > know the answer? The distro version is 2007.0.0.1

    What I do is to go to MCC, then Networking/Ethernet.

    In the line "Assign hostname from DHCP" uncheck the box and change that to
    the hostname you want. That will change /etc/hosts to "newname"
    localhost.localdomain localhost in some sequence. You can still use
    localhost, but your new name will be the one visible. I still use
    localhost for MySQL and for the address of my Apache host, which is purely
    local.

    If running hostname does work at all, it probably won't survive
    the session.

    In Debian, it seems to be that changing /etc/hosts is all that you need to
    do. Debian-based systems insist as well during setup that you have a one
    word hostname, not a FQDN. With Mandriva, your hostname is set
    in /etc/sysconfig/network. Using the wizard takes care of everything. It
    will prompt you to log out and in again, because of BitTwister's warning.

    HTH,

    Doug.
    --
    Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
    - Helen Keller

  5. Re: Change localhost

    I always like a consensus!

    Thanks I'll check it all out.