Question about samba client ?? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Question about samba client ?? - Mandriva ; Hi I have mandriva 2006 with shorewall and win xp sp2 without firewall enable. I would like to use samba shares, I opened ports 135/tcp 137/udp 138/udp 139/tcp 445/tcp When I klik on icon sambashares I got message : "There ...

  1. Question about samba client ??

    Hi
    I have mandriva 2006 with shorewall and win xp sp2 without firewall
    enable. I would like to use samba shares, I opened ports 135/tcp 137/udp
    138/udp 139/tcp 445/tcp
    When I klik on icon sambashares I got message : "There is no any
    workgroup in your lan"
    What did I forget to do ??

  2. Re: Question about samba client ??

    "Wizzy" wrote in message news:f89r4v$72d$1@news.onet.pl...
    > Hi
    > I have mandriva 2006 with shorewall and win xp sp2 without firewall
    > enable. I would like to use samba shares, I opened ports 135/tcp 137/udp
    > 138/udp 139/tcp 445/tcp
    > When I klik on icon sambashares I got message : "There is no any
    > workgroup in your lan"
    > What did I forget to do ??

    first - which way do you want to share things?

    - assuming that linux will be the file server, windows the client
    set up samba server
    set permissions on the samba shares to the windows user name
    specify the correct workgroup
    by default xp uses the group name 'mshome'
    xp needs no special program to access the samba shares, just
    run the 'new network place' wizard with firewall off
    make sure shorewall (linux) is open for file sharing or turned off
    xp firewall off for set up, can be turned back on later

    - assuming that xp is the file server
    set up xp shares in the usual peer-to-peer method
    again specify the same workgroup on both machines
    use 'lin-neighborhood' or SMB4K to browse for the xp shares
    xp firewall off for set up, can be turned back on later

    I have never worried about which ports - I let shorewall do that
    based on functions I want to enable

    Other considerations
    - I hope you are behind a router/firewall to do this
    - I have had better luck with static ip addresses

    Stuart

  3. Re: Question about samba client ??

    Stuart Miller wrote:

    > "Wizzy" wrote in message news:f89r4v$72d$1@news.onet.pl...
    >> Hi
    >> I have mandriva 2006 with shorewall and win xp sp2 without firewall
    >> enable. I would like to use samba shares, I opened ports 135/tcp 137/udp
    >> 138/udp 139/tcp 445/tcp
    >> When I klik on icon sambashares I got message : "There is no any
    >> workgroup in your lan"
    >> What did I forget to do ??

    > first - which way do you want to share things?
    >
    > - assuming that linux will be the file server, windows the client
    > set up samba server
    > set permissions on the samba shares to the windows user name
    > specify the correct workgroup
    > by default xp uses the group name 'mshome'
    > xp needs no special program to access the samba shares, just
    > run the 'new network place' wizard with firewall off
    > make sure shorewall (linux) is open for file sharing or turned off
    > xp firewall off for set up, can be turned back on later
    >
    > - assuming that xp is the file server
    > set up xp shares in the usual peer-to-peer method
    > again specify the same workgroup on both machines
    > use 'lin-neighborhood' or SMB4K to browse for the xp shares
    > xp firewall off for set up, can be turned back on later
    >
    > I have never worried about which ports - I let shorewall do that
    > based on functions I want to enable
    >
    > Other considerations
    > - I hope you are behind a router/firewall to do this
    > - I have had better luck with static ip addresses
    >
    > Stuart

    Re Workgroup: I think that the default workgroup in smb.conf is MDKHOME, or
    MDKGROUP or similar. That will need to be changed to MSHOME. Perhaps the
    OP needs to check out his /etc/samba/smb.conf? Some tweaking will be
    needed, and it is fully commented. Run "service smb restart"a s root after
    changing it.

    Every time I have changed my Linux config, I have had to run XP's "set up a
    local network" wizard again. The Windows Firewall defaults to isolating
    your XP box from the network if it connects to the Internet. This will
    need changing, but from memory it is part of the network wizard.

    HTH,

    Doug.
    --
    The American Constitution guarantees the pursuit of happiness; it does not
    guarantee happiness.

  4. Re: Question about samba client ??

    "Doug Laidlaw" wrote in message
    > Stuart Miller wrote:
    >

    >> "Wizzy" wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>> I have mandriva 2006 with shorewall and win xp sp2 without firewall
    >>> enable. I would like to use samba shares, I opened ports 135/tcp 137/udp
    >>> 138/udp 139/tcp 445/tcp
    >>> When I klik on icon sambashares I got message : "There is no any
    >>> workgroup in your lan"
    >>> What did I forget to do ??

    >> first - which way do you want to share things?
    >>
    >> - assuming that linux will be the file server, windows the client
    >> set up samba server
    >> set permissions on the samba shares to the windows user name
    >> specify the correct workgroup
    >> by default xp uses the group name 'mshome'
    >> xp needs no special program to access the samba shares, just
    >> run the 'new network place' wizard with firewall off
    >> make sure shorewall (linux) is open for file sharing or turned off
    >> xp firewall off for set up, can be turned back on later
    >>
    >> - assuming that xp is the file server
    >> set up xp shares in the usual peer-to-peer method
    >> again specify the same workgroup on both machines
    >> use 'lin-neighborhood' or SMB4K to browse for the xp shares
    >> xp firewall off for set up, can be turned back on later
    >>
    >> I have never worried about which ports - I let shorewall do that
    >> based on functions I want to enable
    >>
    >> Other considerations
    >> - I hope you are behind a router/firewall to do this
    >> - I have had better luck with static ip addresses
    >>
    >> Stuart

    > Re Workgroup: I think that the default workgroup in smb.conf is MDKHOME,
    > or
    > MDKGROUP or similar. That will need to be changed to MSHOME. Perhaps the
    > OP needs to check out his /etc/samba/smb.conf? Some tweaking will be
    > needed, and it is fully commented. Run "service smb restart"a s root after
    > changing it.

    Windows can see across multiple workgroups as long as a firewall or network
    addressing allows. So can Mandriva or any other Linux distribution.
    Windows 9.x defaults to share level security, 2000/XP default to user level
    security. The XP users need to be present/added to the samba servers
    accepted users by using

    smbpasswd -a myusername

    Conversely the Linux users need to be added to the XP box to be able to
    connect to XP's shares. By default the hidden Share$ on XP will be shared
    and anyone that knows your XP Administrator password can gain full access to
    the entire drives. On XP Home the real administrator account doesn't show
    up on the login screen, however, it has no password by default and is
    enabled. If you are going to have sharing files enabled on XP Home then
    give the administrator account a secure password to reduce the risk of
    someone accessing the hidden drive shares so easily.

    The election process in a Windows peer to peer network can take a
    substantial time for machines to appear in the network browser. From the
    run command \\servername or \\serversIPaddress can be used to force the
    specified machine to show in the network browser. A similar method can be
    used in Linux in smb4k or if you are using konqueror to directly access the
    network, smb:///. for the root of the Network or smb://servername/sharename
    or smb://IPaddress in the konqueror address bar.

    Andrew Ed

+ Reply to Thread