remove .directory icon from desktop - Mandriva

This is a discussion on remove .directory icon from desktop - Mandriva ; I am sure this has come up before but I cannot find it. I have an icon named .directory on my kde desktop. I have tried removing it from the directory but it seems to reappear next time I reboot. ...

  1. remove .directory icon from desktop

    I am sure this has come up before but I cannot find it.
    I have an icon named .directory on my kde desktop. I have
    tried removing it from the directory but it seems to
    reappear next time I reboot. How can I remove it?

  2. Re: remove .directory icon from desktop

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > I am sure this has come up before but I cannot find it.
    > I have an icon named .directory on my kde desktop. I have
    > tried removing it from the directory but it seems to
    > reappear next time I reboot. How can I remove it?

    How do you save your KDE sessions? I use a fixed saved session; if I make
    any changes, I have to save it again, using the menu. But if you have KDE
    set to open your desktop the way you last left it, the icon should
    disappear for good.

    I recently copied my home directory, and I noticed that only the directories
    put there by the installer have a .directory file, not the ones I created
    later. I have no idea what its purpose is. Perhaps you can get better
    answers on comp.windows.x.kde.

    As a last resort, you can rename your .kde directory to kdeold. When you
    reboot, a new basic desktop will be created, but copying all your settings
    across is a real drag. I copied across something that I thought was safe,
    and re-created the problem.

    HTH,

    Doug.
    --
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is liking what you get.
    - Anonymous

  3. Re: remove .directory icon from desktop

    On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:15:46 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:

    > I am sure this has come up before but I cannot find it. I have an icon
    > named .directory on my kde desktop. I have tried removing it from the
    > directory but it seems to reappear next time I reboot. How can I remove
    > it?

    Right click on the desktop, choose Configure Desktop -> Behavior -> File
    Icons.... uncheck the box "Show Hidden Files"

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a

  4. Re: remove .directory icon from desktop

    imotgm wrote:

    > On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:15:46 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> I am sure this has come up before but I cannot find it. I have an icon
    >> named .directory on my kde desktop. I have tried removing it from the
    >> directory but it seems to reappear next time I reboot. How can I remove
    >> it?

    > Right click on the desktop, choose Configure Desktop -> Behavior -> File
    > Icons.... uncheck the box "Show Hidden Files"

    Thank you.

    Alan
    --
    I am told that it is impossible to make a program foolproof because fools
    are so ingenious.

+ Reply to Thread