Using samba to print from WinXP client. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Using samba to print from WinXP client. - Mandriva ; My Linux box (Mandriva Spring) is connected to the Internet by an Ethernet connection to a Netgear router. My wife's laptop on Windows XP (in her own study) is linked to the same router via wireless. Our printer is driven ...

  1. Using samba to print from WinXP client.

    My Linux box (Mandriva Spring) is connected to the Internet by an Ethernet
    connection to a Netgear router. My wife's laptop on Windows XP (in her own
    study) is linked to the same router via wireless. Our printer is driven by
    the Linux box via USB.

    I used to have an Epson multifunction, and could print to it using Samba,
    Cups and the Adobe winsteng package. The scanner globe on that blew, and
    repairs were more than the cost of a new one.

    I then bought a Brother MFC, because Brother offers driver downloads for
    Linux. Bad move! The PPD file is not accepted by Winsteng (not Level 2),
    and even KDE says that it has parsing errors. Brother Support confirms
    that winsteng.exe won't work, but offered no alternative.

    I am now trying to set up the printer on the server (my box) using
    cupsaddsmb, but having no luck at all. My smb.conf, based on the one in
    man cupsaddsmb, is as follows:

    [global]
    netbios name = dougshost
    server string = Samba Server
    workgroup = MSHOME
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    # socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    wins support = yes
    hostname lookups = yes
    hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
    hosts deny = All
    interfaces = lo eth0
    bind interfaces only = yes
    guest ok = yes
    browse list = yes
    load printers = yes
    printcap name = cups
    printing = cups

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    public = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writable = no
    printable = yes
    printer admin = root

    [print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /etc/samba/drivers
    # this path holds the driver structure after cupsaddsmb command
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = no
    read only = yes
    write list = root

    [MFC240C]
    comment = Brother MFC 240C
    printable = yes
    path = /var/spool/samba
    public = yes
    guest ok = yes
    printer admin = root

    I have put in all the files required by man cupsaddsmb. When I run
    cupsaddsmb -v -a, I get the following repeating error message:

    Running command:
    smbclient ///var/run/cups/cups.sock/print$ -N -A /root/tmp/46a81d5d01ed9 -c 'mkdir
    W32X86;put /root/tmp/46a81d59ba81e
    W32X86/MFC240C.ppd;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/ps5ui.dll
    W32X86/ps5ui.dll;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript.hlp
    W32X86/pscript.hlp;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript.ntf
    W32X86/pscript.ntf;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript5.dll
    W32X86/pscript5.dll'
    Connection to failed

    Unable to copy Windows 2000 printer driver files (1)!

    To get around the "Connection to failed," I gave my box a static IP
    address. That gave me two more lines, then a different error message
    (apparently caused by having "# this path holds the driver structure after
    cupsaddsmb command" on the same line as the PATH statement. By the time I
    found this out, I had tried a different smb.conf.)

    Now, with the smb.conf that almost worked and the static IP address, I seem
    to be back where I was. Apart from ditching the printer and buying another
    Epson, any ideas please?

    Doug.
    --
    I grow old, always learning new things.
    -Solon, Greek lawgiver, 6th c. B.C.

  2. Re: Using samba to print from WinXP client.

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

> [...]
    > comment = Brother MFC 240C
    > printable = yes
    > path = /var/spool/samba
    > public = yes
    > guest ok = yes
    > printer admin = root
    >
    > I have put in all the files required by man cupsaddsmb. When I run
    > cupsaddsmb -v -a, I get the following repeating error message:
    >
    > Running command:
    > smbclient ///var/run/cups/cups.sock/print$ -N -A /root/tmp/46a81d5d01ed9
    > -c 'mkdir W32X86;put /root/tmp/46a81d59ba81e
    > W32X86/MFC240C.ppd;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/ps5ui.dll
    > W32X86/ps5ui.dll;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript.hlp
    > W32X86/pscript.hlp;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript.ntf
    > W32X86/pscript.ntf;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript5.dll
    > W32X86/pscript5.dll'
    > Connection to failed
    >
    > Unable to copy Windows 2000 printer driver files (1)!

    Set up a queue on the Linux box as a raw printer

    from the XP box go to the run command

    type: \\servername\printersharename

    If you are a user that has rights to connect then it will tell you that no
    driver files are installed for point and print services i.e you can't pull
    the driver down from the Linux box.

    Install the driver locally on the XP machine (Admin/super user rights
    required) It will install the driver to the correct smb path as it's port.

    Alternately build a driver on the Linux box that the windows machine will
    pick up. This requires a generic Adobe PS printer setup on Windows rather
    than the Windows PS print engine to work well.

    Or install an instance of the printer on the Windows machine and set the
    driver for raw data spooling. Install a working PPD on Linux and then
    print to the Windows machine.

    Or Don't print over smb but set up the printer to be used over the network
    on port 9100 or IPP, both Linux and Windows can print over either method
    and therefore picked up from the other machine.

    If your wifes machine is XP then unless they do not supply AN XP printer
    driver then you should use XP driver files not Windows 2000 driver files as
    they can make a difference to the stability and functionality. Even on
    Windows it is a good idea to force the installation of 2000/XP/2003 drivers
    on to NT4/2000 servers that make use of point and print services to ensure
    the client OS picks up on the correct driver. On an XP machine it really
    isn't a good idea to use a driver from an older version of Windows if the
    correct one is available. Mandriva just requires a good working PPD file.
    If the PPD won't be accepted by CUPS have you tried opening the PPD in a
    text editor and changing it manually. It is just a text file, I suggest
    you check out a generic adobe PPD available from their website and the
    PPD's for other printers in CUPS and that of your brother machine.
    Manufacturers PPD's can be stripped down in size quite often by removing
    details referring to paper sizes that you are never likely to use or in
    theory add your own custom sizes. Quark Express and other Apps have been
    known to have issues with PPD's over a certain size a few years ago
    although they should all be more aware of multifunction/finishing machines.

    Andrew Ed

  3. Re: Using samba to print from WinXP client.

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > My Linux box (Mandriva Spring) is connected to the Internet by an Ethernet
    > connection to a Netgear router. My wife's laptop on Windows XP (in her
    > own
    > study) is linked to the same router via wireless. Our printer is driven
    > by the Linux box via USB.
    >
    > I used to have an Epson multifunction, and could print to it using Samba,
    > Cups and the Adobe winsteng package. The scanner globe on that blew, and
    > repairs were more than the cost of a new one.
    >
    > I then bought a Brother MFC, because Brother offers driver downloads for
    > Linux. Bad move! The PPD file is not accepted by Winsteng (not Level 2),
    > and even KDE says that it has parsing errors. Brother Support confirms
    > that winsteng.exe won't work, but offered no alternative.

    http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...r_drivers.html

    http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...s_drivers.html

    http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...nux_faq-2.html

    May be of use ?

    Their PPD's appear to be in binary format that I have just downloaded and
    looked at, they aren't a true PPD file as an Adobe PPD file should be human
    readable text.

    Andrew Ed

  4. Re: Using samba to print from WinXP client.

    "Doug Laidlaw" wrote in message
    > My Linux box (Mandriva Spring) is connected to the Internet by an Ethernet
    > connection to a Netgear router. My wife's laptop on Windows XP (in her
    > own
    > study) is linked to the same router via wireless. Our printer is driven
    > by
    > the Linux box via USB.

    First, some limitations on my response

    I do not understand the complexities of what you are doing here,
    just the concept
    I did not study the technical aspects of the replies.

    Now, here is what I have
    HP2P laser on parallel port attached to mandriva 2006, shared using
    cups/samba
    Brother HL2040 added a few months ago
    I downloaded the drivers, ran the rpm process
    As I recall it failed the first time, but worked the second time
    OpenOffice can print to it properly

    Then I installed the XP HL2040 drivers to the xp machine(s) as if it were
    usb
    in fact, first time I actually did connect it to the usb port at the
    correct time
    turn firewall off - very important
    then install network printer, browse, locate ///server/brother etc.
    install printer - get error 'correct driver not installed'
    of course - xp is looking to transfer the xp driver from the server
    point xp the the driver cd, let it install xp driver

    so now I have 2 incarnations of the HL2040, one for usb and one for network
    make network the default, leave the other there.

    So windows sends things to the xp HL2040 driver, which sends
    it on to the server, which uses the linux drivers

    Printing works just fine, except that on some web pages ( like my online
    banking)
    some of the graphics don't show up correctly.

    This may help a bit

    Stuart

> [...]
    > W32X86/MFC240C.ppd;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/ps5ui.dll
    > W32X86/ps5ui.dll;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript.hlp
    > W32X86/pscript.hlp;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript.ntf
    > W32X86/pscript.ntf;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript5.dll
    > W32X86/pscript5.dll'
    > Connection to failed
    >
    > Unable to copy Windows 2000 printer driver files (1)!
    >

    > To get around the "Connection to failed," I gave my box a static IP
    > address. That gave me two more lines, then a different error message
    > (apparently caused by having "# this path holds the driver structure after
    > cupsaddsmb command" on the same line as the PATH statement. By the time I
    > found this out, I had tried a different smb.conf.)
    >
    > Now, with the smb.conf that almost worked and the static IP address, I
    > seem
    > to be back where I was. Apart from ditching the printer and buying

  5. Re: Using samba to print from WinXP client.

    Andrew Ed wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> My Linux box (Mandriva Spring) is connected to the Internet by an
    >> Ethernet
    >> connection to a Netgear router. My wife's laptop on Windows XP (in her
    >> own
    >> study) is linked to the same router via wireless. Our printer is driven
    >> by the Linux box via USB.
    >>
    >> I used to have an Epson multifunction, and could print to it using Samba,
    >> Cups and the Adobe winsteng package. The scanner globe on that blew, and
    >> repairs were more than the cost of a new one.
    >>
    >> I then bought a Brother MFC, because Brother offers driver downloads for
    >> Linux. Bad move! The PPD file is not accepted by Winsteng (not Level
    >> 2),
    >> and even KDE says that it has parsing errors. Brother Support confirms
    >> that winsteng.exe won't work, but offered no alternative.

    > http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...r_drivers.html
    >
    > http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...s_drivers.html
    >
    > http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...nux_faq-2.html
    >
    > May be of use ?
    >
    > Their PPD's appear to be in binary format that I have just downloaded and
    > looked at, they aren't a true PPD file as an Adobe PPD file should be
    > human readable text.
    >
    > Andrew Ed

    Yes, I downloaded those RPMs. They all installed with no problems. The site
    says to install the LPRNG RPM first, then the CUPS one, which is
    a "wrapper". I simply supplied both to URPMI together. There is a third
    one for FAX capability. Local printing works fine, and SANE has no
    problems. The answer I got from Brother Support was:

    ' "winsteng.exe" is the tool to install the PostScript drdiver [sic] to
    Windows PC using the PostScript compatible PPD file.
    This does not work with MFC-240C. '

    Nothing more. It seems to suggest that printing via Samba simply won't
    work. The printer is primarily a Fax printer. Half of the handbook covers
    Fax, the other half covers photos, and the manual for ordinary printing is
    on the CD.

    I could probably attach the printer to the XP machine, but it is in another
    room, and my wife hardly ever prints anything - only photos of the
    grandchildren. So if it is impossible, we can live with that.

    Doug.
    --
    Here lies one who meant well, tried a little, failed much
    - surely that may be his epitaph, of which he need not be ashamed.

  6. Re: Using samba to print from WinXP client.

    Stuart Miller wrote:

    > "Doug Laidlaw" wrote in message
    >> My Linux box (Mandriva Spring) is connected to the Internet by an
    >> Ethernet
    >> connection to a Netgear router. My wife's laptop on Windows XP (in her
    >> own
    >> study) is linked to the same router via wireless. Our printer is driven
    >> by
    >> the Linux box via USB.

    > First, some limitations on my response
    >
    > I do not understand the complexities of what you are doing here,
    > just the concept
    > I did not study the technical aspects of the replies.
    >
    > Now, here is what I have
    > HP2P laser on parallel port attached to mandriva 2006, shared using
    > cups/samba
    > Brother HL2040 added a few months ago
    > I downloaded the drivers, ran the rpm process
    > As I recall it failed the first time, but worked the second time
    > OpenOffice can print to it properly
    >
    > Then I installed the XP HL2040 drivers to the xp machine(s) as if it were
    > usb
    > in fact, first time I actually did connect it to the usb port at the
    > correct time

    That is a totally unnecessary action, at best. It just makes the setup prone
    to duplications etc..

    > turn firewall off - very important
    > then install network printer, browse, locate ///server/brother etc.
    > install printer - get error 'correct driver not installed'

    I find it much easier and straightforward her to just use the Windows
    Explorer, expand the nodes of "Entire Network" till you see your printer
    connected to the Linux box in the workgroup. Then right click on the
    printer and choose install, and follow the procedure from there on.
    ....snip...

    Herman Viaene
    --
    Veel mensen danken hun goed geweten aan hun slecht geheugen. (G. Bomans)

    Lots of people owe their good conscience to their bad memory (G. Bomans)

  7. Re: Using samba to print from WinXP client.

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > Andrew Ed wrote:
    >
    >> Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>
    >>> My Linux box (Mandriva Spring) is connected to the Internet by an
    >>> Ethernet
    >>> connection to a Netgear router. My wife's laptop on Windows XP (in her
    >>> own
    >>> study) is linked to the same router via wireless. Our printer is driven
    >>> by the Linux box via USB.
    >>>
    >>> I used to have an Epson multifunction, and could print to it using Samba,
    >>> Cups and the Adobe winsteng package. The scanner globe on that blew, and
    >>> repairs were more than the cost of a new one.
    >>>
    >>> I then bought a Brother MFC, because Brother offers driver downloads for
    >>> Linux. Bad move! The PPD file is not accepted by Winsteng (not Level
    >>> 2),
    >>> and even KDE says that it has parsing errors. Brother Support confirms
    >>> that winsteng.exe won't work, but offered no alternative.

    >> http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...r_drivers.html
    >>
    >> http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...s_drivers.html
    >>
    >> http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...nux_faq-2.html
    >>
    >> May be of use ?
    >>
    >> Their PPD's appear to be in binary format that I have just downloaded and
    >> looked at, they aren't a true PPD file as an Adobe PPD file should be
    >> human readable text.
    >>
    >> Andrew Ed

    > Yes, I downloaded those RPMs. They all installed with no problems. The site
    > says to install the LPRNG RPM first, then the CUPS one, which is
    > a "wrapper". I simply supplied both to URPMI together. There is a third
    > one for FAX capability. Local printing works fine, and SANE has no
    > problems. The answer I got from Brother Support was:
    >
    > ' "winsteng.exe" is the tool to install the PostScript drdiver [sic] to
    > Windows PC using the PostScript compatible PPD file.
    > This does not work with MFC-240C. '
    >

    > Nothing more. It seems to suggest that printing via Samba simply won't
    > work. The printer is primarily a Fax printer. Half of the handbook covers
    > Fax, the other half covers photos, and the manual for ordinary printing is
    > on the CD.
    >
    > I could probably attach the printer to the XP machine, but it is in another
    > room, and my wife hardly ever prints anything - only photos of the
    > grandchildren. So if it is impossible, we can live with that.
    >
    > Doug.

    what I did to get windows computers printing threw my Linux box is to
    make the printer shared threw samba, and use the printers windows driver
    connected to the samba share, works fine, cups seems to be smart
    enough to recognize that the print job is already in the printers language.

  8. Re: Using samba to print from WinXP client.

    chris gareau wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> Andrew Ed wrote:

    >>> http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...r_drivers.html
    >>>
    >>> http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...s_drivers.html
    >>>
    >>> http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...nux_faq-2.html
    >>>
    >>> May be of use ?
    >>>
    >>> Their PPD's appear to be in binary format that I have just downloaded
    >>> and looked at, they aren't a true PPD file as an Adobe PPD file should
    >>> be human readable text.
    >>>
    >>> Andrew Ed

    >> Yes, I downloaded those RPMs. They all installed with no problems. The
    >> site says to install the LPRNG RPM first, then the CUPS one, which is
    >> a "wrapper". I simply supplied both to URPMI together. There is a third
    >> one for FAX capability. Local printing works fine, and SANE has no
    >> problems. The answer I got from Brother Support was:
    >>
    >> ' "winsteng.exe" is the tool to install the PostScript drdiver [sic] to
    >> Windows PC using the PostScript compatible PPD file.
    >> This does not work with MFC-240C. '
    >>

    >> Nothing more. It seems to suggest that printing via Samba simply won't
    >> work. The printer is primarily a Fax printer. Half of the handbook
    >> covers Fax, the other half covers photos, and the manual for ordinary
    >> printing is on the CD.
    >>
    >> I could probably attach the printer to the XP machine, but it is in
    >> another room, and my wife hardly ever prints anything - only photos of
    >> the
    >> grandchildren. So if it is impossible, we can live with that.
    >>
    >> Doug.

    > what I did to get windows computers printing threw my Linux box is to
    > make the printer shared threw samba, and use the printers windows driver
    > connected to the samba share, works fine, cups seems to be smart
    > enough to recognize that the print job is already in the printers
    > language.

    Thanks Chris and the others who said much the same. That worked fine.

    Doug.
    --
    I grow old, always learning new things.
    -Solon, Greek lawgiver, 6th c. B.C.