Any tips on using Mandriva Live 2007 mini ISO? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Any tips on using Mandriva Live 2007 mini ISO? - Mandriva ; Hi I just finished downloading and burning the ISO for mandriva-linux-2007-spring-free-mini.iso from http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/dist...al/iso/2007.1/ I used it to boot up and really liked what I saw, so I'd like to add it to my PC as a second distro. My fdisk ...

  1. Any tips on using Mandriva Live 2007 mini ISO?

    Hi

    I just finished downloading and burning the ISO for
    mandriva-linux-2007-spring-free-mini.iso from
    http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/dist...al/iso/2007.1/

    I used it to boot up and really liked what I saw, so I'd like to add it to my PC as a second distro.

    My fdisk looks like this

    fdisk -l

    Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 9352 75119908+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda2 9353 9729 3028252+ 5 Extended
    /dev/hda5 9353 9729 3028221 82 Linux swap / Solaris

    Disk /dev/sda: 81.9 GB, 81964302336 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9964 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 1 9964 80035798+ 83 Linux

    I *should* be able to use GParted and shrink the /dev/hda1 partion down to a large enough size for what I need to allow Mandriva to install.

    My questions are:
    a) What's the recommended size for a Mandriva installation?
    b) Would I create an ext3 partition for it
    c) Can I make the Madriva installation use the /dev/hda5 swap or should I use a part of the new partition from b as swap for Mandriva.

    Thanks/Merci

    --
    John T.
    My other computer is a swodniw machine

  2. Re: Any tips on using Mandriva Live 2007 mini ISO?

    On 26 Jul 2007 01:03:43 GMT, John wrote:
    > My questions are:
    > a) What's the recommended size for a Mandriva installation?

    Depends on how much you want to install and what you will be
    downloading in the future. About 10 gig should hold you down for a
    Power Pack install with about everything and Gnome/Kde Desktop
    managers, and an extra gig of games.

    > b) Would I create an ext3 partition for it

    Yes, I would recommend it.

    > c) Can I make the Madriva installation use the /dev/hda5 swap or
    >should I use a part of the new partition from b as swap for
    >Mandriva.

    From what you say, you will be picking custom/manual during the
    Partition Phase so it will pick linux swap automagically for you.

    I would make swap about 512 meg or size of ram depending on which is larger.

    You just click the ext3 for mounting / for the install.

  3. Re: Any tips on using Mandriva Live 2007 mini ISO?

    Bit Twister writes:

    >On 26 Jul 2007 01:03:43 GMT, John wrote:
    >> My questions are:
    >> a) What's the recommended size for a Mandriva installation?

    >Depends on how much you want to install and what you will be
    >downloading in the future. About 10 gig should hold you down for a
    >Power Pack install with about everything and Gnome/Kde Desktop
    >managers, and an extra gig of games.

    Well, that would be a bit tight in my estimation. I would use 20G to be
    safe.
    My machine uses 10G for / /usr system files.

    >> b) Would I create an ext3 partition for it

    >Yes, I would recommend it.

    >> c) Can I make the Madriva installation use the /dev/hda5 swap or
    >>should I use a part of the new partition from b as swap for
    >>Mandriva.

    What is /dev/hda5? If it is the installation partition for some other
    linux, no. If it is the swap partition for some other Linux installation,
    yes. If it is a microsoft swap partition, no.

    >From what you say, you will be picking custom/manual during the
    >Partition Phase so it will pick linux swap automagically for you.

    >I would make swap about 512 meg or size of ram depending on which is larger.

    >You just click the ext3 for mounting / for the install.

  4. Re: Any tips on using Mandriva Live 2007 mini ISO?

    On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 16:02:43 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    > Bit Twister writes:
    >
    >>On 26 Jul 2007 01:03:43 GMT, John wrote:
    >>> My questions are:
    >>> a) What's the recommended size for a Mandriva installation?

    >>Depends on how much you want to install and what you will be
    >>downloading in the future. About 10 gig should hold you down for a
    >>Power Pack install with about everything and Gnome/Kde Desktop
    >>managers, and an extra gig of games.

    > Well, that would be a bit tight in my estimation. I would use 20G to be
    > safe.
    > My machine uses 10G for / /usr system files.

    Hmmm, sounds like a _bunch_ of addons.

    $ df -h /
    /dev/sda13 11G 6.7G 3.1G 69% /

    Usually a power pack install runs around 5 gig before I start adding
    in a bunch of addons.

  5. Re: Any tips on using Mandriva Live 2007 mini ISO?

    On Jul 25, 11:57 pm, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On 26 Jul 2007 01:03:43 GMT, John wrote:
    >
    > > My questions are:
    > > a) What's the recommended size for a Mandriva installation?

    > Depends on how much you want to install and what you will be
    > downloading in the future. About 10 gig should hold you down for a
    > Power Pack install with about everything and Gnome/Kde Desktop
    > managers, and an extra gig of games.
    >
    > > b) Would I create an ext3 partition for it

    > Yes, I would recommend it.
    >
    > > c) Can I make the Madriva installation use the /dev/hda5 swap or
    > >should I use a part of the new partition from b as swap for
    > >Mandriva.

    > From what you say, you will be picking custom/manual during the
    > Partition Phase so it will pick linux swap automagically for you.
    >
    > I would make swap about 512 meg or size of ram depending on which is larger.
    >
    > You just click the ext3 for mounting / for the install.

    Ok, I'm up and running on Mandriva and I like it. But I have one
    problem...
    I have Ubuntu on /dev/hda1 and I can't seem to get back into it. I
    know there's a boot loader but I don't know much about it.
    I googled, but didn't find enough information to help me.

    Do you, or does anyone else, know how to
    a) Make grub my boot loader (I think Madriva uses Lilo) and/or
    b) Make necessary mods to allow me to boot into either Ubuntu (where
    all my stuff is) or Madriva

    Thanks

  6. Re: Any tips on using Mandriva Live 2007 mini ISO?

    On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:24:29 -0700, printdude1968@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have Ubuntu on /dev/hda1 and I can't seem to get back into it.

    Click up the Mandriva Control Center, under
    System-->Configuration-->Configure your computer-->Mount Points

    Click the ubuntu partition and indicate you want it as /ubuntu and not
    to formate it. Click Done and answer Yes to add it to your fstab.

    Assuming lilo is your boot loader,

    click up a terminal
    su - root

    cd /etc
    cp lilo.conf lilo.conf_works
    kwrite lilo.conf &

    ls /ubuntu/boot

    and add a lilo stanza something like

    image=/ubuntu/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic
    label="/ubuntu"
    root=/dev/hda1
    initrd=/ubuntu/boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic
    append="splash=0"
    vga=790

    you just make sure you get the vmlinuz and initrd values correct.
    Save your changes and see if lilo will install it with the command

    lilo -v

    ignore the message about doing something with boot.00n.
    If that works you can quite kwrite.

    Once you can boot into ubuntu,
    you create a partition for mandriva,
    add a mandriva stanaza to /boot/grub/menu.lst
    and install grub with
    grub-install '(hd0)'

    Now you will have to decide which os is the production copy and
    install/maintain the master /boot/grub/menu.lst

+ Reply to Thread