Updating gcc - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Updating gcc - Mandriva ; Hi, I have mandrake-9.1, which came with gcc-3.2.2. I would like to update gcc to (say) version 3.4.x by installing a pre-compiled build. Is such a beast available for download ? Cheers, Rob...

  1. Updating gcc

    Hi,
    I have mandrake-9.1, which came with gcc-3.2.2.
    I would like to update gcc to (say) version 3.4.x by installing a
    pre-compiled build.
    Is such a beast available for download ?

    Cheers,
    Rob

  2. Re: Updating gcc

    Sisyphus wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have mandrake-9.1, which came with gcc-3.2.2.
    > I would like to update gcc to (say) version 3.4.x by installing a
    > pre-compiled build.
    > Is such a beast available for download ?

    Upgrade to Mandriva 2007. That will give you gcc-4.1.1-3 plus
    many other benefits. 2007.1 (spring) would be slightly newer
    again.

    --
    Peter D.
    Sig goes here...

  3. Re: Updating gcc

    On 2007-07-25, Sisyphus wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have mandrake-9.1, which came with gcc-3.2.2.

    Mandrake 9.1 is really old

    > I would like to update gcc to (say) version 3.4.x by installing a
    > pre-compiled build.
    > Is such a beast available for download ?

    You can try taking the src.rpm from a newer versions of mandrake, rebuild
    it, and see if it works.

    Nicolas

  4. Re: Updating gcc

    On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:06:58 +1000, Sisyphus wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have mandrake-9.1, which came with gcc-3.2.2. I would like to update gcc
    > to (say) version 3.4.x by installing a pre-compiled build.
    > Is such a beast available for download ?

    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  5. Informational - arts message

    ....just received subj msg

    Sound server informational message:

    Error while initializing the sound driver:

    device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)

    The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

    Can yu tell me whatz wrong and some ideas on how too fix it..?!!

    Thanx so much..!

  6. Re: Updating gcc

    Peter D. wrote:

    > Sisyphus wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I have mandrake-9.1, which came with gcc-3.2.2.
    >> I would like to update gcc to (say) version 3.4.x by installing a
    >> pre-compiled build.
    >> Is such a beast available for download ?

    > Upgrade to Mandriva 2007. That will give you gcc-4.1.1-3 plus
    > many other benefits. 2007.1 (spring) would be slightly newer
    > again.

    I hope not a silly question. But say I'm on Mandriva 2006, how would I go
    about upgrading to 2007 ?

    Not on broadband, so this would be via the dvd distro of 2007.

  7. Re: Updating gcc

    On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:36:43 +1200, Adam wrote:

    > I hope not a silly question. But say I'm on Mandriva 2006, how would I go
    > about upgrading to 2007 ?

    You click upgrade instead of install after booting dvd.

    > Not on broadband, so this would be via the dvd distro of 2007.

    I recommend, doing backups, veify you can read backups, and do a
    format/clean install, not an upgrade.

  8. Re: Updating gcc

    Sisyphus wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have mandrake-9.1, which came with gcc-3.2.2.
    > I would like to update gcc to (say) version 3.4.x by installing a
    > pre-compiled build.
    > Is such a beast available for download ?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Rob

    Sisyphus was doomed in Hades to be always rolling a big stone uphill.

    I feel like that as well, half the time.

    Doug.
    --
    Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
    - Helen Keller

  9. Re: Updating gcc

    Bit Twister wrote:

    .. . .

    > I recommend, doing backups, veify you can read backups, and do a
    > format/clean install, not an upgrade.

    Thanks. Interesting points.

    They tend to be quite personal things, backups - and suppose I mean
    customized here. Probably more generic for an office or business server.

  10. Re: Updating gcc

    Adam wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    > . . .
    >
    >> I recommend, doing backups, veify you can read backups, and do a
    >> format/clean install, not an upgrade.

    > Thanks. Interesting points.
    >
    > They tend to be quite personal things, backups - and suppose I mean
    > customized here. Probably more generic for an office or business server.

    Actually, for something with the potential to wreck much of
    the system, I would simply back up everything. Then, if
    everything goes to h*ll in a handbasket, a complete restore
    of everything takes maybe 10 to 20 minutes (or more, depending
    on how much stuff you have).

    There are a few of concerns. First, you may have new
    stuff added after the backup, that you might want to copy
    to a safe location (if possible) should things go south.
    Second, you must either overwrite everything on restore
    (and leave any new files intact) or clean the disk with
    rm -rf to get rid of everything. The first can leave
    bad-new files in place, while the second may erase
    things you would like to keep.

    Third, you may run into a limit on file size for backup
    files, depending on your software and where you backup
    to. On my old machine, My backup was to a vfat partition
    on a disk with Win98 on it. The limit was 2GB per file,
    so home and usr had to be split into a few pieces so
    nothing would exceed the limit.

    I wrote two scripts, one that would cd to the top of each
    directory tree that I wanted as a separate file and then
    tar -cvf /mnt/windows/linuxxdateherex/treename .
    and another than would cd to the top of each directory
    tree and then tar -xvf /path/to/backup/file .
    For this, the top of each directory had to exist so
    you could cd to it. I generally just overwrote everything,
    so this was not a problem.

    This has saved my posterior a couple of times when
    things have passed the point of fubar to unrecoverable.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  11. Re: Informational - arts message

    On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 14:14:19 -0400, datek wrote:

    > Sound server informational message:
    > Error while initializing the sound driver:
    > device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)

    See http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Hardware#Sound_Cards

    Regards, Dave Hodgins