Minor quibble, 2007.0 to 2007.1 upgrade and rpm package names - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Minor quibble, 2007.0 to 2007.1 upgrade and rpm package names - Mandriva ; It would be nice if every package that 2007.1 installed had 2007.1 in the package name. Turns out that about 20% of them still bear 2007.0 appellations. This came up yesterday when a 2007.0 system was upgraded to 2007.1. Afterwards ...

  1. Minor quibble, 2007.0 to 2007.1 upgrade and rpm package names

    It would be nice if every package that 2007.1 installed had 2007.1 in
    the package name. Turns out that about 20% of them still bear 2007.0
    appellations.

    This came up yesterday when a 2007.0 system was upgraded to 2007.1.
    Afterwards there were still 155 packages on it with 2007.0 names.
    That left open the possibility that for some reason those had not been
    upgraded. Turns out even a clean install (different system, different
    installation options) had 136 "2007.0" rpm packages.

    How hard would it be to run through the installation media and change
    2007.0 to 2007.1? Sure, it would have meant a slightly slower update
    (155 out of 870 packages more, with no actual change in functionality)
    but at least when done it would have been completely clear what the
    origin of every RPM package was.

    In other words, if Mandriva is going to stick the release name on each
    package, it might as well be accurate.

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  2. Re: Minor quibble, 2007.0 to 2007.1 upgrade and rpm package names

    David Mathog wrote:

    > It would be nice if every package that 2007.1 installed had 2007.1 in
    > the package name. Turns out that about 20% of them still bear 2007.0
    > appellations.
    >
    > This came up yesterday when a 2007.0 system was upgraded to 2007.1.
    > Afterwards there were still 155 packages on it with 2007.0 names.
    > That left open the possibility that for some reason those had not been
    > upgraded. Turns out even a clean install (different system, different
    > installation options) had 136 "2007.0" rpm packages.
    >
    > How hard would it be to run through the installation media and change
    > 2007.0 to 2007.1? Sure, it would have meant a slightly slower update
    > (155 out of 870 packages more, with no actual change in functionality)
    > but at least when done it would have been completely clear what the
    > origin of every RPM package was.
    >
    > In other words, if Mandriva is going to stick the release name on each
    > package, it might as well be accurate.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > David Mathog

    Perhaps 2007.0 *is* accurate. Perhaps they are simply "recycled" 2007.0
    packages. After all, 2007.1 is more in the nature of an upgrade, the same
    as 2006 Club, compared to the upcoming 2008.

    To change the release name on the package would involve not only the package
    name itself, but the name that you can see with "less ",
    which is internal.

    Doug.
    --
    Orthodoxy is my doxy; heterodoxy is your doxy.
    - Wm Warburton, 18th c. Bishop of Gloucester.

  3. Re: Minor quibble, 2007.0 to 2007.1 upgrade and rpm package names

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Perhaps 2007.0 *is* accurate. Perhaps they are simply "recycled" 2007.0
    > packages.

    They probably are unchanged from the 2007.0 release. That's the
    problem. How do you distinguish between a failed
    upgrade (leaving tons of "2007.0" packages) and a successful upgrade
    (ALSO leaving tons of "2007.0" packages)?

    I think the Mandriva folks are more than capable of coming up with a
    script to "upgrade" package names without changing anything else about
    the package.

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  4. Re: Minor quibble, 2007.0 to 2007.1 upgrade and rpm package names

    On 2007-07-26, David Mathog wrote:
    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >

    >> Perhaps 2007.0 *is* accurate. Perhaps they are simply "recycled" 2007.0
    >> packages.

    > They probably are unchanged from the 2007.0 release. That's the
    > problem. How do you distinguish between a failed
    > upgrade (leaving tons of "2007.0" packages) and a successful upgrade
    > (ALSO leaving tons of "2007.0" packages)?

    After lurking in Linux-related newsgroups for several years,
    I have decided the best solution to that problem is to
    always do a clean installation rather than an upgrade.

    To maintain my customizations (or rather to transfer them to
    the new installation), I keep an RCS repository of all
    configuration files I am aware of having modified and the
    output of certain system check commands like "rpm -qa" and
    "chkconfig --list". I set RCS tags for the initial and
    final versions from each release so I can do multi-way
    comparisons.

    HTH

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  5. Re: Minor quibble, 2007.0 to 2007.1 upgrade and rpm package names

    David Mathog writes:

    >Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    >> Perhaps 2007.0 *is* accurate. Perhaps they are simply "recycled" 2007.0
    >> packages.

    >They probably are unchanged from the 2007.0 release. That's the
    >problem. How do you distinguish between a failed

    Maybe because the upgrade gave you a message saying that it failed?

    >upgrade (leaving tons of "2007.0" packages) and a successful upgrade
    >(ALSO leaving tons of "2007.0" packages)?

    >I think the Mandriva folks are more than capable of coming up with a
    >script to "upgrade" package names without changing anything else about
    >the package.

    >Regards,

    >David Mathog

  6. Re: Minor quibble, 2007.0 to 2007.1 upgrade and rpm package names

    Unruh wrote:
    > David Mathog writes:

    >> They probably are unchanged from the 2007.0 release. That's the
    >> problem. How do you distinguish between a failed

    > Maybe because the upgrade gave you a message saying that it failed?

    Sure. However on the last upgrade I did there was no such message, yet
    the xinetd binary was missing. This became obvious pretty quickly on
    the reboot because none of the xinetd services were running, and then
    checking /var/log/prcsys.log showed that xinetd didn't start. A subsequent

    rpm -Va

    turned up an issue with the java package as well, but in that case
    it was removed and 1.60u2 from Sun installed instead.

    Anyway, my point is that if there HAD been a 2007.0 package for
    which a 2007.1 existed, and it didn't upgrade for some reason, there
    is no easy way to tell. "rpm -Va" won't find this. One could do:

    urpmi --auto-update --auto

    but I'm not at all sure what that would do if an RPM from one version
    back was still present on the system instead of the current one.

    Regards,

    David Mathog

+ Reply to Thread