Trouble installing Mandriva Free - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Trouble installing Mandriva Free - Mandriva ; Hi, As a lot of people, I think, I decided to use my old previous computer to convert it into a new Linux Server. I downloaded iso files and burned them on classic CDs. I can boot on the first ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

  1. Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    Hi,

    As a lot of people, I think, I decided to use my old previous computer to
    convert it into a new Linux Server.
    I downloaded iso files and burned them on classic CDs. I can boot on the
    first CD with my new computer... so the installation CD looks good.
    But on the old computer, "Failure". I even burn the iso files with the
    lowest burning speed !
    The cdrom drive works fine since I tested the configuration with an original
    W98 install cd rom : it boots on the cdrom.

    But on my linux cd, no...

    I look for solutions on the net. There was a solution using a floppy disk,
    but it seems this solution is not available anymore since the *.img files
    are not released anymore.
    Can I boot on a floppy disk which then, starts the installation from the CD
    rom ?

    thanks for yr help !

  2. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    "Marc Mendez" writes:

    >Hi,

    >As a lot of people, I think, I decided to use my old previous computer to
    >convert it into a new Linux Server.
    >I downloaded iso files and burned them on classic CDs. I can boot on the
    >first CD with my new computer... so the installation CD looks good.
    >But on the old computer, "Failure". I even burn the iso files with the
    >lowest burning speed !

    Why not tell us what the failure actually was. I am sure that more than
    simply the word FAILURE appeared.

    >The cdrom drive works fine since I tested the configuration with an original
    >W98 install cd rom : it boots on the cdrom.

    >But on my linux cd, no...

    >I look for solutions on the net. There was a solution using a floppy disk,
    >but it seems this solution is not available anymore since the *.img files
    >are not released anymore.
    >Can I boot on a floppy disk which then, starts the installation from the CD
    >rom ?

    >thanks for yr help !

  3. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    Hi,

    "Unruh" a écrit dans le message de news:
    0Wppi.59493$tB5.25866@edtnps90...
    > Why not tell us what the failure actually was. I am sure that more than
    > simply the word FAILURE appeared.

    No, sorry, no more message. It appears when I start my computer, when it
    tries to boot from CD-Rom. Something like that :

    Booting from CdRom : Failure
    Note that the CdRom drive runs (the light blinks normally), but it acts as
    if the disk was not bootable or if there was no disk.

    Then, the computer starts up from the OS currently installed on the
    harddisk.

  4. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    Marc Mendez wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > "Unruh" a écrit dans le message de news:
    > 0Wppi.59493$tB5.25866@edtnps90...
    >> Why not tell us what the failure actually was. I am sure that more than
    >> simply the word FAILURE appeared.
    >>

    > No, sorry, no more message. It appears when I start my computer, when it
    > tries to boot from CD-Rom. Something like that :
    >
    > Booting from CdRom : Failure
    > Note that the CdRom drive runs (the light blinks normally), but it acts as
    > if the disk was not bootable or if there was no disk.
    >
    > Then, the computer starts up from the OS currently installed on the
    > harddisk.

    Have you set the first bootable device to CDRom in the bios?

  5. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 02:59:46 -0400, Marc Mendez wrote:

    > No, sorry, no more message. It appears when I start my computer, when it
    > tries to boot from CD-Rom. Something like that :

    Have you tried booting from that cd, on the computer you used to burn it,
    just to see it the cd itself is ok?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    Marc Mendez wrote:

    > Booting from CdRom : Failure

    How did you come into possession of the Mandriva Free disks? Did you
    download Mandriva and then burn it to disk?

    If so, you've most likely burned the CDs wrong and as a result they
    aren't bootable.

  7. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    Well, my english must not be as good as I thought. So, let's try to explain
    again.

    To be sure I could boot on the CD drive, I used an original W98 CDRom to
    make a test : The computer booted on this CDRom with no problem.

    So :
    - it's the proof the BIOS settings are right
    - the jump master/slave are ok
    - the CD drive itself is right.

    just a point : the main HD is on the first IDE slot, and the CD Drive on the
    second IDE slot (two different cable).

    "SomeBloke" a écrit dans le message de news:
    13aei77bkih121a@corp.supernews.com...
    > Marc Mendez wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> "Unruh" a crit dans le message de news:
    >> 0Wppi.59493$tB5.25866@edtnps90...
    >>> Why not tell us what the failure actually was. I am sure that more than
    >>> simply the word FAILURE appeared.
    >>>

    >> No, sorry, no more message. It appears when I start my computer, when it
    >> tries to boot from CD-Rom. Something like that :
    >>
    >> Booting from CdRom : Failure
    >> Note that the CdRom drive runs (the light blinks normally), but it acts
    >> as
    >> if the disk was not bootable or if there was no disk.
    >>
    >> Then, the computer starts up from the OS currently installed on the
    >> harddisk.

    > Have you set the first bootable device to CDRom in the bios?

  8. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    If you were right, I could not boot on this CDRom on my new computer.

    "Jim Townsend" a écrit dans le message de news:
    13aejvlhvau76f@news.supernews.com...
    > Marc Mendez wrote:
    >
    >> Booting from CdRom : Failure

    > How did you come into possession of the Mandriva Free disks? Did you
    > download Mandriva and then burn it to disk?
    >
    > If so, you've most likely burned the CDs wrong and as a result they
    > aren't bootable.

  9. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    "David W. Hodgins" a écrit dans le message de
    news: op.tv0vlqrda3w0dx@hodgins.homeip.net...
    > On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 02:59:46 -0400, Marc Mendez wrote:
    >
    >> No, sorry, no more message. It appears when I start my computer, when it
    >> tries to boot from CD-Rom. Something like that :

    > Have you tried booting from that cd, on the computer you used to burn it,
    > just to see it the cd itself is ok?

    Yes.
    Here is what I wrote on my original post :
    "I downloaded iso files and burned them on classic CDs. I can boot on the
    first CD with my new computer... so the installation CD looks good."

    Even if I did not indicate the new computer is the computer I used to burn
    the iso file, the test I did proves the CD is good.

    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >
    > --
    > Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    > (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    > use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  10. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    Well, I read carefully all your answers. So, I would like to be more
    accurate :

    - I downloaded the image file from Mandriva web site.
    - I burnt the iso file on my new computer (speed 8x)
    - I tested the CdRom on this new computer : it boots on

    On the old computer I want to install Linux :

    - The Bios settings are right : boot sequence is CDRom, C, A
    - I can boot on an original W98 install disk and even an NT server install
    disk.
    - HD is on IDE0 as slave; CDRom Drive on IDE1 as master (may be the cause ?)
    - The CDRom drive light blinks normaly when I boot on the Mandriva Disk, but
    I get a failure (like if the CDRom was not bootable in fact)

    To sum up, I see 3 possibilities

    - The speed I used to burn the CD is to high !
    - Jump (master/slave) wrongs or devices not connected on the right wire.
    - The computer is dead !

    "Unruh" a écrit dans le message de news:
    0Wppi.59493$tB5.25866@edtnps90...
    > "Marc Mendez" writes:
    >
    >>Hi,

    >>As a lot of people, I think, I decided to use my old previous computer to
    >>convert it into a new Linux Server.
    >>I downloaded iso files and burned them on classic CDs. I can boot on the
    >>first CD with my new computer... so the installation CD looks good.
    >>But on the old computer, "Failure". I even burn the iso files with the
    >>lowest burning speed !

    > Why not tell us what the failure actually was. I am sure that more than
    > simply the word FAILURE appeared.
    >
    >>The cdrom drive works fine since I tested the configuration with an
    >>original
    >>W98 install cd rom : it boots on the cdrom.

    >>But on my linux cd, no...

    >>I look for solutions on the net. There was a solution using a floppy disk,
    >>but it seems this solution is not available anymore since the *.img files
    >>are not released anymore.
    >>Can I boot on a floppy disk which then, starts the installation from the
    >>CD
    >>rom ?

    >>thanks for yr help !

  11. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:55:09 -0400, Marc Mendez wrote:

    > Here is what I wrote on my original post :
    > "I downloaded iso files and burned them on classic CDs. I can boot on the
    > first CD with my new computer... so the installation CD looks good."

    The computer you're trying to install it on, may not be waiting long
    enough for the cd to spin up, and load the boot image.

    If you can, set your bios settings to cdrom only.
    Also, try alt+ctrl+del, while it's trying to boot from the cd,
    to see if an already powered up cd will respond faster, on the
    next boot.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  12. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 16:02:19 +0200, Marc Mendez wrote:

    > To sum up, I see 3 possibilities

    I'll give you some more, I have see cds burnt on new drives that are
    unreadable on old drives.

    It may be that the "cd" is a DVD and not bootable on a CD drive.
    But is bootable on a cd/dvd drive.

  13. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    "Marc Mendez" writes:

    > Well, I read carefully all your answers. So, I would like to be more
    > accurate :
    >
    > - I downloaded the image file from Mandriva web site.
    > - I burnt the iso file on my new computer (speed 8x)
    > - I tested the CdRom on this new computer : it boots on
    >
    > On the old computer I want to install Linux :
    >
    > - The Bios settings are right : boot sequence is CDRom, C, A
    > - I can boot on an original W98 install disk and even an NT server install
    > disk.
    > - HD is on IDE0 as slave; CDRom Drive on IDE1 as master (may be the cause ?)
    > - The CDRom drive light blinks normaly when I boot on the Mandriva Disk, but
    > I get a failure (like if the CDRom was not bootable in fact)
    >
    > To sum up, I see 3 possibilities
    >
    > - The speed I used to burn the CD is to high !
    > - Jump (master/slave) wrongs or devices not connected on the right wire.
    > - The computer is dead !

    Is it a CDRW or CDR?

    CDRWs don't work very well when used on a different drive.

  14. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    "Marc Mendez" writes:

    >Hi,

    >"Unruh" a écrit dans le message de news:
    >0Wppi.59493$tB5.25866@edtnps90...
    >> Why not tell us what the failure actually was. I am sure that more than
    >> simply the word FAILURE appeared.
    >>

    >No, sorry, no more message. It appears when I start my computer, when it
    >tries to boot from CD-Rom. Something like that :

    >Booting from CdRom : Failure
    >Note that the CdRom drive runs (the light blinks normally), but it acts as
    >if the disk was not bootable or if there was no disk.

    It is trying to boot but cannot. This means one of two things-- your
    cdrom is not actually bootable, your CDRom drive cannot read the disk (did
    you actually check that it could be read on that computer?).

    >Then, the computer starts up from the OS currently installed on the
    >harddisk.

  15. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    On 2007-07-25, Marc Mendez wrote:

    > "David W. Hodgins" a écrit dans le message de
    > news: op.tv0vlqrda3w0dx@hodgins.homeip.net...
    >> On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 02:59:46 -0400, Marc Mendez wrote:
    >>
    >>> No, sorry, no more message. It appears when I start my computer, when it
    >>> tries to boot from CD-Rom. Something like that :

    >> Have you tried booting from that cd, on the computer you used to burn it,
    >> just to see it the cd itself is ok?

    > Yes.
    > Here is what I wrote on my original post :
    > "I downloaded iso files and burned them on classic CDs. I can boot on the
    > first CD with my new computer... so the installation CD looks good."
    >
    > Even if I did not indicate the new computer is the computer I used to burn
    > the iso file, the test I did proves the CD is good.

    To be a bit more precise, it proves the CD is at least
    _partially_ good. To be really sure the whole CD is good,
    you need to verify it, either with 'diff' against the
    original ISO or with a checksum.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  16. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    Dan Espen wrote:
    > "Marc Mendez" writes:
    >
    >> Well, I read carefully all your answers. So, I would like to be more
    >> accurate :
    >>
    >> - I downloaded the image file from Mandriva web site.
    >> - I burnt the iso file on my new computer (speed 8x)
    >> - I tested the CdRom on this new computer : it boots on
    >>
    >> On the old computer I want to install Linux :
    >>
    >> - The Bios settings are right : boot sequence is CDRom, C, A
    >> - I can boot on an original W98 install disk and even an NT server install
    >> disk.
    >> - HD is on IDE0 as slave; CDRom Drive on IDE1 as master (may be the cause ?)
    >> - The CDRom drive light blinks normaly when I boot on the Mandriva Disk, but
    >> I get a failure (like if the CDRom was not bootable in fact)
    >>
    >> To sum up, I see 3 possibilities
    >>
    >> - The speed I used to burn the CD is to high !
    >> - Jump (master/slave) wrongs or devices not connected on the right wire.
    >> - The computer is dead !

    > Is it a CDRW or CDR?
    >
    > CDRWs don't work very well when used on a different drive.

    Another question: Did you download actual CDs from Mandriva? Last
    time I looked (a few weeks ago) all that was on offer for 2007.1
    was a DVD. If you burned that to a CD, it might well boot on the
    drive that wrote it, but fail on anything else.

    And it could be just the CD drive is a little out of kilter, and
    unable to read tracks written on a different drive. Long ago I
    had a Micropolis hard drive with a head or two that would drift.
    Every now it would start having more than the usual read errors
    and I would have to back up everything and reformat, so the tracks
    would go where the heads would find them. The same sort of thing
    can happen with CD drives.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  17. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    Hi,

    "Bit Twister" a écrit dans le message de news:
    slrnfaenn8.kln.BitTwister@wb.home.invalid...

    > It may be that the "cd" is a DVD and not bootable on a CD drive.
    > But is bootable on a cd/dvd drive.

    Well, I may be blind sometimes, but you can be sure it's a point I check
    before to post

  18. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    "Dan Espen" a écrit dans le message de
    news: ic4pjsl7c0.fsf@mk.telcordia.com...

    > Is it a CDRW or CDR?
    >
    > CDRWs don't work very well when used on a different drive.

    That's why I used a simple CD-R to burn the iso file

  19. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    "David W. Hodgins" a écrit dans le message de
    news: op.tv0ygmu2a3w0dx@hodgins.homeip.net...
    > On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:55:09 -0400, Marc Mendez wrote:

    > The computer you're trying to install it on, may not be waiting long
    > enough for the cd to spin up, and load the boot image.
    >
    > If you can, set your bios settings to cdrom only.
    > Also, try alt+ctrl+del, while it's trying to boot from the cd,
    > to see if an already powered up cd will respond faster, on the
    > next boot.

    Hum, at last an interesting suggestion ! I'll try tonite !

    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >
    > --
    > Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    > (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    > use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  20. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    No sure it's wrong, but I'll test tonite too !

    "Robert M. Riches Jr." a écrit dans le message de
    news: slrnfafdst.71u.rob@one.localnet...

    > To be a bit more precise, it proves the CD is at least
    > _partially_ good. To be really sure the whole CD is good,
    > you need to verify it, either with 'diff' against the
    > original ISO or with a checksum.
    >
    > --
    > Robert Riches
    > spamtrap42@verizon.net
    > (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast