Trouble installing Mandriva Free - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Trouble installing Mandriva Free - Mandriva ; "Unruh" a écrit dans le message de news: NyMpi.59689$tB5.55552@edtnps90... > It is trying to boot but cannot. This means one of two things-- your > cdrom is not actually bootable, your CDRom drive cannot read the disk (did > you ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

  1. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free


    "Unruh" a écrit dans le message de news:
    NyMpi.59689$tB5.55552@edtnps90...
    > It is trying to boot but cannot. This means one of two things-- your
    > cdrom is not actually bootable, your CDRom drive cannot read the disk (did
    > you actually check that it could be read on that computer?).
    >


    The CDrom is bootable of course. But, you give me a good idea : I'll try to
    read the CDrom once the current OS is loaded (W2000 Pro).



  2. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free


    "Jim Beard" a écrit dans le message de news:
    %GPpi.7392$XL4.53@trndny04...

    > Another question: Did you download actual CDs from Mandriva? Last
    > time I looked (a few weeks ago) all that was on offer for 2007.1
    > was a DVD. If you burned that to a CD, it might well boot on the
    > drive that wrote it, but fail on anything else.


    For instance, on a local miror:

    http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.f...al/iso/2007.1/

    I downloaded :
    mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-GNOME-cdrom-i586.iso
    mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-GNOME-cdrom-x86_64.iso
    mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-KDE-cdrom-i586.iso
    mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-KDE-cdrom-x86_64.iso

    with "cdrom" in the name, it would be stupid if it's a DVD iso file.

    >
    > And it could be just the CD drive is a little out of kilter, and
    > unable to read tracks written on a different drive. Long ago I
    > had a Micropolis hard drive with a head or two that would drift.
    > Every now it would start having more than the usual read errors
    > and I would have to back up everything and reformat, so the tracks
    > would go where the heads would find them. The same sort of thing
    > can happen with CD drives.


    I already had this kind of problem. Since I burnt the iso file on a recent
    computer, I thought about this first. I tried to boot with different CDRom
    drive, but I had the same problem.


    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.
    >
    > --
    > UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    > expects users to be computer-friendly.




  3. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    On 26 Jul at 7:24 "Marc Mendez" wrote in message
    <46a83d67$0$8503$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

    >
    > "Dan Espen" a écrit dans le message de
    > news: ic4pjsl7c0.fsf@mk.telcordia.com...
    >
    > > Is it a CDRW or CDR?
    > >
    > > CDRWs don't work very well when used on a different drive.

    >
    > That's why I used a simple CD-R to burn the iso file
    >

    Even CD-R don't work very well on older drives. Their output level is
    significantly lower. I had similar problems to you on my Dell Inspiron 5100,
    and had to upgrade the BIOS before it would read CD-R.

    Have a look on the computer/drive manufacturer's web site to see if they
    have addressed any such problems.


    --
    Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
    Buckinghamshire, England

  4. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > Another question: Did you download actual CDs from Mandriva? Last
    > time I looked (a few weeks ago) all that was on offer for 2007.1
    > was a DVD. If you burned that to a CD, it might well boot on the
    > drive that wrote it, but fail on anything else.


    They have put the CD version of 2007.1 up on bit-torrent. I have
    downloaded and installed it. The main problem with it is it's not
    optimized for the CD medium. By that I mean you wind up swapping back
    and forth between CDs during the install. Like about a dozen times
    between CDs 1 and 2, several times between 2 and 3, many more times
    between 4 and 5, and, well, you get the idea. So you *really* have to
    want 2007.1 to be worth putting up with the CD version.

    Art

  5. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    On 2007-07-26, art wrote:
    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >> Another question: Did you download actual CDs from Mandriva? Last
    >> time I looked (a few weeks ago) all that was on offer for 2007.1
    >> was a DVD. If you burned that to a CD, it might well boot on the
    >> drive that wrote it, but fail on anything else.

    >
    > They have put the CD version of 2007.1 up on bit-torrent. I have
    > downloaded and installed it. The main problem with it is it's not
    > optimized for the CD medium. By that I mean you wind up swapping back
    > and forth between CDs during the install. Like about a dozen times
    > between CDs 1 and 2, several times between 2 and 3, many more times
    > between 4 and 5, and, well, you get the idea. So you *really* have to
    > want 2007.1 to be worth putting up with the CD version.


    If you have a few spare GB in a spare partition that won't
    be formatted during installation, copy the CD images (or
    their contents), boot from the boot.iso image, and choose
    the "hard disk install" option.

    HTH

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net
    (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

  6. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > If you have a few spare GB in a spare partition that won't
    > be formatted during installation, copy the CD images (or
    > their contents), boot from the boot.iso image, and choose
    > the "hard disk install" option.
    > HTH


    I see a Boot from Disk option, but not a "hard disk install" option.
    Art

  7. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    On 2007-07-26, art wrote:
    > Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >> If you have a few spare GB in a spare partition that won't
    >> be formatted during installation, copy the CD images (or
    >> their contents), boot from the boot.iso image, and choose
    >> the "hard disk install" option.
    >> HTH

    >
    > I see a Boot from Disk option, but not a "hard disk install" option.


    That sounds like a BIOS option. The installation method
    options you get from boot.iso include hard disk install and
    NFS install. Of course, I think there's the usual CD (DVD)
    installation method and a couple of others.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net
    (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

  8. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > That sounds like a BIOS option. The installation method
    > options you get from boot.iso include hard disk install and
    > NFS install. Of course, I think there's the usual CD (DVD)
    > installation method and a couple of others.
    >

    No, the boot from hard disk is the first option that pops up when the PC
    boots off the CD. The second is to install 2007.1 Where do you go for
    the options your are describing? How do you get there?
    Art

  9. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    On 2007-07-26, art wrote:
    > Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >> That sounds like a BIOS option. The installation method
    >> options you get from boot.iso include hard disk install and
    >> NFS install. Of course, I think there's the usual CD (DVD)
    >> installation method and a couple of others.
    >>

    > No, the boot from hard disk is the first option that pops up when the PC
    > boots off the CD. The second is to install 2007.1 Where do you go for
    > the options your are describing? How do you get there?


    Perhaps the "boot from hard disk" option is new with 2007.1,
    or perhaps I missed it when I installed 2007.0. I would
    think selecting the "install 2007.1" option to see what the
    next set of options are.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net
    (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

  10. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    Marc Mendez wrote:
    > I downloaded :
    > mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-GNOME-cdrom-i586.iso
    > mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-GNOME-cdrom-x86_64.iso
    > mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-KDE-cdrom-i586.iso
    > mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-KDE-cdrom-x86_64.iso



    Bingo! This is not the four-CD set of Mandriva Free
    but the Mandriva Live One CD, offered in four versions
    (Gnome/KDE desktop, 32-bit or 64-bit cpu).

    You can boot the one CD appropriate for your system and
    try out Mandriva Linux. You also can install that one
    CD to your hard drive, and then download everything else
    you need from the mirrors, but this is not recommended.

    What you need to do is download and burn the DVD suitable
    for your system. If you have an ordinary PC, that will be
    mandriva-linux-2007-spring-free-dvd-i586.iso
    That by the way totals 4,568,668,160 bytes and will not
    fit on a CD.

    If you do not have a DVD burner, try downloading and burning
    the mini-iso, mandriva-linux-2007-spring-free-mini.iso
    which at 728,778,752 bytes will fit on a CD. Install that,
    and then go to the mirrors for the other 3 to 3.5 GB of
    other things you will want/need.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  11. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    The Bios is not supported anymore.

    "Tony van der Hoff" a écrit dans le message de
    news: gemini.jlsa710nou5s00idt.news@nospam.vanderhoff.or g...
    > On 26 Jul at 7:24 "Marc Mendez" wrote in message
    > <46a83d67$0$8503$426a74cc@news.free.fr>
    >
    >>
    >> "Dan Espen" a écrit dans le message de
    >> news: ic4pjsl7c0.fsf@mk.telcordia.com...
    >>
    >> > Is it a CDRW or CDR?
    >> >
    >> > CDRWs don't work very well when used on a different drive.

    >>
    >> That's why I used a simple CD-R to burn the iso file
    >>

    > Even CD-R don't work very well on older drives. Their output level is
    > significantly lower. I had similar problems to you on my Dell Inspiron
    > 5100,
    > and had to upgrade the BIOS before it would read CD-R.
    >
    > Have a look on the computer/drive manufacturer's web site to see if they
    > have addressed any such problems.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
    > Buckinghamshire, England




  12. Re: Trouble installing Mandriva Free

    Hi !

    I made a few tests this WE :

    - The CD-Rom is readable on the computer under W2000 Pro (it's the actual OS
    installed on the hard disk I want to format).
    - The last test I plan is to put the drive I used to burn the iso files on
    the old computer.

    BTW, the old computer is a Celeron 500 with 512Mb of RAM. It's enough since
    I just want a small server, with only console access. I may use X just for
    some parameters, and that's all.





+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2