Konquerur 'Super User' mode: Starts with web fetch - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Konquerur 'Super User' mode: Starts with web fetch - Mandriva ; Occasionally I want to move files around in root mode, so tried using Konqueror in Super User mode. (According to Konqeror 3.5.4 'Help' one can call this up via "System->File Manager - Super User mode", but there is no such ...

  1. Konquerur 'Super User' mode: Starts with web fetch

    Occasionally I want to move files around in root mode, so tried using
    Konqueror in Super User mode.

    (According to Konqeror 3.5.4 'Help' one can call this up via "System->File
    Manager - Super User mode", but there is no such item anywhere (even for just
    'File Manager') in my K Menu setup (Mandriva 2007.0) - so tried
    'kdesu konqueror'.)

    But when using 'kdesu konqueror' it initialises itself with the following
    address:

    http://start.mandriva.com/?r=Mandriv...%20(Official)%
    20for%20i586&p=download&l=en:

    and appears to start a file transfer.

    Why is that, and how can that be avoided?

    --
    Maurice

  2. Re: Konquerur 'Super User' mode: Starts with web fetch

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:36:36 -0400, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > But when using 'kdesu konqueror' it initialises itself with the following
    > address:
    > http://start.mandriva.com/?r=Mandriv...%20(Official)%
    > 20for%20i586&p=download&l=en:
    > and appears to start a file transfer.
    > Why is that, and how can that be avoided?

    If you let it finish loading, you'll see it's a page with links for
    downloading the notes, errata, security advisories, and of course
    links for joining the club.

    It's the page saved with the roots version of the web browsing profile.
    Let it load, or select stop. Enter a url, you'd like it to start
    at, such as /root (and load it). Select Settings, Save View profile
    "Web Browsing". Ensure Save URLs in profile is checked, and select ok.
    Next time you run it, it'll open /root, or whatever you've selected.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Konquerur 'Super User' mode: Starts with web fetch

    Quoth David W. Hodgins :

    > On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:36:36 -0400, Maurice Batey
    > wrote:
    >
    >> But when using 'kdesu konqueror' it initialises itself with the
    >> following address:
    >> http://start.mandriva.com/?r=Mandriv...ase%202007.0%2

    (Official)%
    >> 20for%20i586&p=download&l=en:
    >> and appears to start a file transfer.
    >> Why is that, and how can that be avoided?

    > If you let it finish loading, you'll see it's a page with links for
    > downloading the notes, errata, security advisories, and of course
    > links for joining the club.
    >
    > It's the page saved with the roots version of the web browsing profile.
    > Let it load, or select stop. Enter a url, you'd like it to start
    > at, such as /root (and load it). Select Settings, Save View profile
    > "Web Browsing". Ensure Save URLs in profile is checked, and select ok.
    > Next time you run it, it'll open /root, or whatever you've selected.

    Or try:

    kdesu kfmclient openProfile filemanagement

    I have an icon assigned to that command in a small ancillary "admin mode"
    pop-up kicker panel.

    I suggest adjusting root konqueror settings to display in garish colors, so
    that the root window announces itself to your brain.
    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  4. Re: Konquerur 'Super User' mode: Starts with web fetch

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Occasionally I want to move files around in root mode, so tried using
    > Konqueror in Super User mode.
    >
    > (According to Konqeror 3.5.4 'Help' one can call this up via "System->File
    > Manager - Super User mode", but there is no such item anywhere (even for
    > just 'File Manager') in my K Menu setup (Mandriva 2007.0) - so tried
    > 'kdesu konqueror'.)
    >
    > But when using 'kdesu konqueror' it initialises itself with the following
    > address:
    >
    > http://start.mandriva.com/?r=Mandriv...ase%202007.0%2

    (Official)%
    > 20for%20i586&p=download&l=en:
    >
    > and appears to start a file transfer.
    >
    > Why is that, and how can that be avoided?

    I use krusader file manager. I find it much better program for messing with
    files and transfers. You gain Root by clicking on Root mode and entering
    password. Its a very powerful file manager.Everything you could possibly
    need is built into this program!

    Good Luck,
    Rich
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  5. Re: Konquerur 'Super User' mode: Starts with web fetch

    On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 01:48:48 +0000, Rich wrote:

    > I use krusader file manager.

    I did install that some time ago, but never got round to learning how to use
    it properly, using Konqueror for the simple things needed.

    But I do aim to get to know it better...

    --
    Maurice

  6. Re: Konquerur 'Super User' mode: Starts with web fetch

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:39:40 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > If you let it finish loading, you'll see it's a page with links for
    > downloading the notes, errata, security advisories, and of course links
    > for joining the club.

    Suspected as such, but that was in my dial-up days (just gone over to
    broadband today), and I wasn't sure what it was up to!

    --
    Maurice

  7. Re: Konquerur 'Super User' mode: Starts with web fetch

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:47:33 +0000, Big Yellow Hats wrote:

    > try:
    >
    > kdesu kfmclient openProfile filemanagement

    Ah, thanks!

    > I have an icon assigned to that command

    As do I; will change as above...

    --
    Maurice

  8. Re: Konquerur 'Super User' mode: Starts with web fetch

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:47:33 +0000, Big Yellow Hats wrote:

    > kdesu kfmclient openProfile filemanagement

    Tried that, but it took forever (e.g. over a minute) for Konqueror to
    come up.

    --
    Maurice

  9. Re: Konquerur 'Super User' mode: Starts with web fetch

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:39:40 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Enter a url, you'd like it to start at,
    > such as /root (and load it). Select Settings, Save View profile "Web
    > Browsing". Ensure Save URLs in profile is checked, and select ok. Next
    > time you run it, it'll open /root, or whatever you've selected.

    Did all that, but still comes up with that web site!

    (There isn't an 'OK' button in that menu; did you mean 'Save'?)

    --
    Maurice

  10. Re: Konquerur 'Super User' mode: Starts with web fetch

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:39:40 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Enter a url, you'd like it to start at,
    > such as /root (and load it). Select Settings, Save View profile "Web
    > Browsing". Ensure Save URLs in profile is checked, and select ok.

    OK - got that sorted out now - many thanks!

    --
    Maurice

  11. Re: Konquerur 'Super User' mode: Starts with web fetch

    Quoth Maurice Batey :

    > On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:47:33 +0000, Big Yellow Hats wrote:
    >
    >> kdesu kfmclient openProfile filemanagement

    > Tried that, but it took forever (e.g. over a minute) for Konqueror to
    > come up.

    Hmmm, then you've got other problems. Run it in a xterm(konsole)? Any
    output? (Success==should be none.) Might want to ask the KDE folks.
    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  12. Re: Konquerur 'Super User' mode: Starts with web fetch

    Quoth Big Dumb Hats :

    > Quoth Maurice Batey :
    >
    >> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:47:33 +0000, Big Yellow Hats wrote:
    >>
    >>> kdesu kfmclient openProfile filemanagement

    >> Tried that, but it took forever (e.g. over a minute) for Konqueror to
    >> come up.
    >>

    > Hmmm, then you've got other problems. Run it in a xterm(konsole)? Any
    > output? (Success==should be none.) Might want to ask the KDE folks.

    I should add (although I'm too sleepy to understand why) that the user I
    use to run this command is a member of wheel group, therefore I don't get
    a kdesu password input dialog.

    Are you talking about the password dialog taking a minute to show? Or is
    that part reasonably responsive and _then_ it takes forever for a root
    owned konqueror window to arrive?

    Regardless, I believe it's still an "other problems" issue.
    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  13. Re: Konquerur 'Super User' mode: Starts with web fetch

    On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 10:30:11 +0000, Big Yellow Hats wrote:

    > Are you talking about the password dialog taking a minute to show? Or is
    > that part reasonably responsive and _then_ it takes forever for a root
    > owned konqueror window to arrive?

    The latter. Konqueror eventually appears, though.

    Not aware of any other problems (crossing fingers...).

    Fine using 'kdesu konqueror', having saved profile as suggested by David
    Hodges.

    --
    Maurice

  14. Re: Konquerur 'Super User' mode: Starts with web fetch

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 10:30:11 +0000, Big Yellow Hats wrote:
    >
    >> Are you talking about the password dialog taking a minute to show? Or is
    >> that part reasonably responsive and _then_ it takes forever for a root
    >> owned konqueror window to arrive?

    > The latter. Konqueror eventually appears, though.
    >
    > Not aware of any other problems (crossing fingers...).
    >
    > Fine using 'kdesu konqueror', having saved profile as suggested by David
    > Hodges.

    I gave up doing it that way years ago. Start Konqueror normally then in it,
    run "su."

    Doug.
    --
    A Lifetime of happiness! No man alive could bear it; it would be hell on
    earth.

+ Reply to Thread