Mandriva 2006 vs 2007 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mandriva 2006 vs 2007 - Mandriva ; Went to upgrade, and got a message that there wasn't enough hard drive space allocated to a certain partition. I have an 80gb drive, with 60+gigs free. Is there a partition-magic like program for linux, which will allow me to ...

  1. Mandriva 2006 vs 2007

    Went to upgrade, and got a message that there wasn't enough hard drive
    space allocated to a certain partition. I have an 80gb drive, with
    60+gigs free. Is there a partition-magic like program for linux,
    which will allow me to move some of this unused space into the correct
    partition? I would like to do this vs. wiping out everything and
    starting from scratch.

    dallas25@voicenet.com

  2. Re: Mandriva 2006 vs 2007

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:01:33 -0700, dbc254 wrote:
    > Went to upgrade from 2006 to 2007, and got a message that there
    > wasn't enough hard drive space allocated to a certain partition.

    I do not recommend that type of upgrade. Do the clean install instead.

    Usually, major version numbers 5.x, 6.x, 7.x, 2006, 2007 require
    recompile of all the libraries.

    You could have old services/daemons still running which have been
    replaced by services/daemons which have new names and work differently
    but fight over the same resource.

    Applications can change keywords used in configuration files. Old
    keywords may cause new code to fail. Some applications worked better
    when you deleted their .app_name_rc file and recreate it fresh.

    Applications can be rewritten and installed with new names. You might
    run old application and dinkup new app's configuration files.

    Applications get repackaged into new rpms, you will not get the new
    apps. Obsolete libraries/files are left orphaned on the disk.

    I found that it works better when you do a format and a clean install
    when going from 1 major release (8.x/2206) level to another (9.x/2007).
    Keeps the problems of incompatiable libraries from helping you into the
    ditch.

    I have see where some people had problems upgrading between minor
    release like 9.0 to 9.1. Their problems went away after they did a clean
    install.

    I usually keep a seperate ~10gig partition for testing new releases. I
    have seperate /accounts directory for the users and separate partition
    /local for doc, src, bin, .... for things I install later.

    I create the users in /home and copy /accounts/users to /home for
    testing. If the new release works, I change users /home to /accounts
    in the new release's partition /etc/passwd.

    Once you are on the new release, the old release's partition
    can be used to practice on new application/installation/upgrades testing
    before dinking up the _production_ copy.

    > I have an 80gb drive, with 60+gigs free.
    > Is there a partition-magic like program for linux,

    50 meg Gparted live cd, is what you may want to use.
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=173828

    > which will allow me to move some of this unused space into the correct
    > partition? I would like to do this vs. wiping out everything and
    > starting from scratch.

    As always, you might want to make sure your backups are current and
    you can read them.

  3. Re: Mandriva 2006 vs 2007

    dbc254 writes:

    >Went to upgrade, and got a message that there wasn't enough hard drive
    >space allocated to a certain partition. I have an 80gb drive, with

    Why not tell us which partition it wasi and what the exact message was and
    how much room you have? You can always have links to place
    stuff onto an unused partition.

    >60+gigs free. Is there a partition-magic like program for linux,
    >which will allow me to move some of this unused space into the correct
    >partition? I would like to do this vs. wiping out everything and
    >starting from scratch.

    >dallas25@voicenet.com

+ Reply to Thread