Newbie - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Newbie - Mandriva ; I just installed mandriva spring 2007. Can someone tell me how I go about connecting to the internet. I am totally new to this. Also where can I find documentation, beginner tutorials etc... Thanks, Brian...

  1. Newbie

    I just installed mandriva spring 2007. Can someone tell me how I go
    about connecting to the internet. I am totally new to this. Also
    where can I find documentation, beginner tutorials etc...

    Thanks,
    Brian

  2. Re: Newbie

    brianrlange@gmail.com wrote:
    > I just installed mandriva spring 2007. Can someone tell me how I go
    > about connecting to the internet. I am totally new to this. Also
    > where can I find documentation, beginner tutorials etc...

    A really good place to find many guides: http://www.tldp.org/
    Especially the HOWTOs.

    --
    Dawid Michalczyk - Cool 3D wallpapers:
    http://www.art.eonworks.com/free/wal...wallpaper.html

  3. Re: Newbie

    Dawid Michalczyk wrote:

    > A really good place to find many guides: http://www.tldp.org/
    > Especially the HOWTOs.

    Just out of interest, how's the OP going to view that URL if he/she cannot
    connect to the internet?

    .... come to think of it, how was the original message posted if the OP
    couldn't connect to the internet. Hmm... wassat word bouncing around in my
    head?

    --
    Weblog - http://inbothworlds.wordpress.com/
    R.L.U. #300033 - MDV 2006 - KDE 3.4

  4. Re: Newbie

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 19:28:13 -0000, brianrlange@gmail.com wrote:

    Welcome to the group.

    > I just installed mandriva spring 2007.

    Well, good start, but still lacking more detail, like which desktop manager.
    Before posting again you might want to read

    > Can someone tell me how I go about connecting to the internet.

    Shame on you. You should have gone through each of the sections in the
    Summary part of the install. There you would have made several
    system settings for network, time, video,.. Firewall,.....

    What you need to do now is login as brianrlange, click the far left
    icon in task bar, and look around for
    Sytstem, Configuration, Configure Your Computer.
    That assumes you are using the KDE desktop manager.

    If you do it right, you should windup in the Mandriva Control Center (MCC),
    not the KDE Control Center.

    You might notice Help/info buttons here and there.

    You will want to create the Network connection in the Network section,
    then under Security section, set your personal firewall.

    After that you want to goto
    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    to set your main, contrib, main_update, contrib_update mirrors.
    After getting to Step 3
    click up a terminal
    su - root
    and cut urpm commands from the step 3, and paste in the terminal
    screen.
    once that is done, you need to install all updates with the command

    urpmi --wget --auto-select --auto

    I also suggest some other packages which you may not have installed.
    urpmi --wget mandrake-doc-Drakxtools-Guide-en --auto
    urpmi --wget mandrake-doc-Command-Line-en --auto
    urpmi --wget drakwizard --auto
    urpmi --wget man-pages --auto
    urpmi --wget mlocate
    /etc/cron.daily/mlocate.cron

    exit

    Now you can find documentation with the command

    locate index.htm | grep doc
    And you would then cut/paste something like
    /usr/share/doc/mandriva/en/Starter/Starter.html/index.html
    into your browser.

    exit

    > I am totally new to this. Also
    > where can I find documentation, beginner tutorials etc...

    You can get back into the Mandriva Control Center (MCC)
    and use the Software Manager to install new software.
    There you may find Books and Documentation groups.

    If you would like to generate an index.htm of documentation on your
    disk look here

    slrnbt899u.be.BitTwister@wb.home in the Message ID box.

    Today's Tip of the Day, very large
    Frequently Asked Questions (faq) Search engine:
    with example search:

    recommend good book in the first box
    *linux* in Newsgroup box. You need to use the two
    asterisks around linux, pick English

    Searched English messages for recommend good book group:*linux*.

  5. Re: Newbie

    Quoth Dave :

    > Dawid Michalczyk wrote:
    >
    >> A really good place to find many guides: http://www.tldp.org/
    >> Especially the HOWTOs.

    > Just out of interest, how's the OP going to view that URL if he/she
    > cannot connect to the internet?
    >
    > ... come to think of it, how was the original message posted if the OP
    > couldn't connect to the internet. Hmm... wassat word bouncing around in
    > my head?

    Dunno, but Blinky'll sell you a filter to get rid of it. ;-)
    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  6. Re: Newbie

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 15:50:25 -0400, Dave wrote:

    > ... come to think of it, how was the original message posted if the OP
    > couldn't connect to the internet. Hmm... wassat word bouncing around in my
    > head?

    Use the source ....

    Regards, Dave Hodgins