Failure during rpm update action - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Failure during rpm update action - Mandriva ; Mandriva 2007.0 Tried to update gutenprint 5.0 to 5.0.1, but received an unusual error message: [root@Mozart tmp]# rpm -U gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.i486.rpm /etc/sysconfig/msec: line 4: TMOUT: readonly variable error: %pre(gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.i486) scriptlet failed, exit status 1 error: install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping ...

  1. Failure during rpm update action

    Mandriva 2007.0
    Tried to update gutenprint 5.0 to 5.0.1, but received an unusual error
    message:
    [root@Mozart tmp]# rpm -U gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.i486.rpm
    /etc/sysconfig/msec: line 4: TMOUT: readonly variable
    error: %pre(gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.i486) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
    error: install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping
    gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1

    [root@Mozart tmp]# cat /etc/sysconfig/msec
    UMASK_ROOT=022
    SECURE_LEVEL=2
    UMASK_USER=022
    TMOUT=0

    root has write permission for msec:
    [root@Mozart sysconfig]# ls -l|grep msec
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 53 Feb 8 15:55 msec
    Can someone explain what is going on please?

  2. Re: Failure during rpm update action

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 12:33:03 -0400, Grimble wrote:

    > /etc/sysconfig/msec: line 4: TMOUT: readonly variable

    In /etc/profile.d/msec.sh, comment out the line
    [ -n "$TMOUT" ] && type typeset > /dev/null 2>&1 && typeset -r TMOUT

    gutenprint follows the LSB standard for install scripts, which requires
    all scripts in /etc/profile.d be executed, as part of the pre-install,
    to ensure all variables are set to the system defaults.

    /etc/profile.d/msec.sh breaks this, by setting the TMOUT variable to
    readonly, which can only be done once per bash session.

    You then have to logout/in, to set the variable back to it's defualt
    of writable.

    Regards, Dave hodgins

  3. Re: Failure during rpm update action

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 12:33:03 -0400, Grimble wrote:
    >
    >> /etc/sysconfig/msec: line 4: TMOUT: readonly variable

    > In /etc/profile.d/msec.sh, comment out the line
    > [ -n "$TMOUT" ] && type typeset > /dev/null 2>&1 && typeset -r TMOUT
    >
    > gutenprint follows the LSB standard for install scripts, which requires
    > all scripts in /etc/profile.d be executed, as part of the pre-install,
    > to ensure all variables are set to the system defaults.
    >
    > /etc/profile.d/msec.sh breaks this, by setting the TMOUT variable to
    > readonly, which can only be done once per bash session.
    >
    > You then have to logout/in, to set the variable back to it's defualt
    > of writable.
    >
    > Regards, Dave hodgins

    You might try installing the Mandriva packages. These are
    2007.1 for my system, but I suspect that rpms are available
    for 2007.0 as well.

    lib64gutenprint2-5.0.0-3mdv2007.1
    gutenprint-foomatic-5.0.0-3mdv2007.1
    gutenprint-gimp2-5.0.0-3mdv2007.1
    lib64gutenprintui2_1-5.0.0-3mdv2007.1
    gutenprint-ijs-5.0.0-3mdv2007.1
    gutenprint-escputil-5.0.0-3mdv2007.1
    gutenprint-cups-5.0.0-3mdv2007.1
    gutenprint-common-5.0.0-3mdv2007.1

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: Failure during rpm update action

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 12:33:03 -0400, Grimble wrote:
    >
    >> /etc/sysconfig/msec: line 4: TMOUT: readonly variable

    > In /etc/profile.d/msec.sh, comment out the line
    > [ -n "$TMOUT" ] && type typeset > /dev/null 2>&1 && typeset -r TMOUT
    >
    > gutenprint follows the LSB standard for install scripts, which requires
    > all scripts in /etc/profile.d be executed, as part of the pre-install,
    > to ensure all variables are set to the system defaults.
    >
    > /etc/profile.d/msec.sh breaks this, by setting the TMOUT variable to
    > readonly, which can only be done once per bash session.
    >
    > You then have to logout/in, to set the variable back to it's defualt
    > of writable.
    >
    > Regards, Dave hodgins

    Thanks, Dave, your technical knowledge as impressive and accurate as ever.

  5. Re: Failure during rpm update action

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:58:34 -0400, Grimble wrote:

    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> In /etc/profile.d/msec.sh, comment out the line
    >> [ -n "$TMOUT" ] && type typeset > /dev/null 2>&1 && typeset -r TMOUT

    > Thanks, Dave, your technical knowledge as impressive and accurate as ever.

    I have a Canon PIXMA MP150, and needed a more recent version then Mandriva
    had packaged, so I ran into the exact same problem back in May.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins