xinetd Failure - Mandriva

This is a discussion on xinetd Failure - Mandriva ; When my 2007.1 Free system boots, I get an error message during the boot process that it cannot find the command "xinetd". The xinetd package is installed and the service shows in the MCC as not running. Trying to start ...

  1. xinetd Failure

    When my 2007.1 Free system boots, I get an error message during the boot
    process that it cannot find the command "xinetd". The xinetd package is
    installed and the service shows in the MCC as not running. Trying to
    start it from the MCC yields the "command not found error"

    Slocate finds the command in the following locations:

    /etc/sysconfig/xinetd
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd
    /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K49xinetd
    /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K49xinetd
    /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/K49xinetd
    /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S56xinetd
    /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/S56xinetd
    /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S56xinetd
    /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K49xinetd
    /etc/netprofile/profiles/default/services/xinetd
    /etc/xinetd.d
    /etc/xinetd.d/rsync
    /etc/xinetd.d/cvs
    /etc/xinetd.d/cups-lpd
    /etc/xinetd.conf

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. Re: xinetd Failure

    On 21 Jul 2007 15:16:00 GMT, Larry wrote:
    > When my 2007.1 Free system boots, I get an error message during the boot
    > process that it cannot find the command "xinetd". The xinetd package is
    > installed and the service shows in the MCC as not running. Trying to
    > start it from the MCC yields the "command not found error"

    Services usually are scripts found in /etc/rc.d/init.d/
    Which you can run with the command
    /etc/init.d/SERVICE_NAME_HERE COMMAND_HERE
    or use MCC gui interface to do the same.
    Example: click up a terminal
    su - root
    /etc/init.d/xinetd restart

    That may give you a better error message which we need to see

    > Slocate finds the command in the following locations:
    >
    > /etc/sysconfig/xinetd
    > /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd

    Hmmm, wonder where
    /usr/sbin/xinetd
    went?

    urpmf /usr/sbin/xinetd
    shows it is in the xinetd package

  3. Re: xinetd Failure

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On 21 Jul 2007 15:16:00 GMT, Larry wrote:
    >> When my 2007.1 Free system boots, I get an error message during the boot
    >> process that it cannot find the command "xinetd". The xinetd package is
    >> installed and the service shows in the MCC as not running. Trying to
    >> start it from the MCC yields the "command not found error"

    > Services usually are scripts found in /etc/rc.d/init.d/
    > Which you can run with the command
    > /etc/init.d/SERVICE_NAME_HERE COMMAND_HERE
    > or use MCC gui interface to do the same.
    > Example: click up a terminal
    > su - root
    > /etc/init.d/xinetd restart
    >
    > That may give you a better error message which we need to see
    >

    >> Slocate finds the command in the following locations:
    >>
    >> /etc/sysconfig/xinetd
    >> /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd

    > Hmmm, wonder where
    > /usr/sbin/xinetd
    > went?
    >
    > urpmf /usr/sbin/xinetd
    > shows it is in the xinetd package

    Here's the results of /etc/init.d/xinetd restart
    Stopping xinetd [FAILED]
    Starting xinetd/bin/bash: xinetd: command not found [FAILED]

    It appears the binary is missing in /usr/bin.

    I guess the solution is to uninstall and re-install. Thanks for your help.

  4. Re: xinetd Failure

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 12:29:39 -0400, Larry Kirkland wrote:

    > Here's the results of /etc/init.d/xinetd restart
    > Stopping xinetd [FAILED]
    > Starting xinetd/bin/bash: xinetd: command not found [FAILED]
    > It appears the binary is missing in /usr/bin.
    > I guess the solution is to uninstall and re-install. Thanks for your help.

    It should be in /usr/sbin. Make sure you've su'd to root, before
    trying to start it.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins