.thumbnails off. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on .thumbnails off. - Mandriva ; Hi group, OP Mandriva 2007, using KDE Konqueror Can someone tell me how to turn off .thumbnails. I do not want to create or accumulate thumbnails in the ..thumbnail directory. Don. Keep smiling....

  1. .thumbnails off.

    Hi group,
    OP Mandriva 2007, using KDE Konqueror
    Can someone tell me how to turn off .thumbnails.
    I do not want to create or accumulate thumbnails in the
    ..thumbnail directory.
    Don.
    Keep smiling.

  2. Re: .thumbnails off.

    Quoth don :

    > Hi group,
    > OP Mandriva 2007, using KDE Konqueror
    > Can someone tell me how to turn off .thumbnails.
    > I do not want to create or accumulate thumbnails in the
    > .thumbnail directory.

    View->Preview
    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  3. Re: .thumbnails off.

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 01:42:46 +1000, Sea Eagle wrote:

    > Or you can leave previews on, and have a cron job clean your thumbnails out
    > regularly instead.
    >
    > I have tmpwatch clean out my .thumbnails each daily cron job.

    That is not a bad idea.

    I hardly ever use Konqueror so it is not much of a slow down to add

    if [ -d ~/.thumbnails/normal ] ; then
    find ~/.thumbnails/normal/ -type f -name "*.png" -print0 \
    | xargs -0r /bin/rm --
    fi

    to $HOME/.bash_logout

    Each logout deletes any created.

  4. Re: .thumbnails off.

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 02:41:13 +1000, Sea Eagle wrote:

    > Interesting. Just one question as I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to
    > scripts.

    The basic part of scripting is nothing more than using the same
    commands you enter from the console.

    The extra code you see in scripts are features of the language
    that are available to you.

    for/while loops are for repetivite activities.
    if/case are for decisions.

    If you do a man test you get to see the kinds of logic test you
    can use to make decisions.

    > How would I write it to delete the .thumbnails/large plus the
    > thumbnails/normal?

    Here again all you use are the commands you would use on the command
    line to do whatever you want done.

    You are in control. You decide what you want to do. Example:

    /bin/rm -r ~/.thumbnails
    mkdir ~/.thumbnails

    That deletes everyting in ~/.thumbnails and the directory ~/.thumbnails
    The mkdir creates ~/.thumbnails so you do not lose time on login for
    kde to test/create it.

    > Would I use the same code but with large in place of
    > normal & put it after the fi?

    You can. Any time you duplicate code in a script and only changing one
    or two things, that should flag you that it is possible to turn them
    into variables.

    Example:

    for _sub_dir in normal large ; do
    if [ -d ~/.thumbnails/$_sub_dir ] ; then
    find ~/.thumbnails/$_sub_dir/ -type f -name "*.png" -print0 \
    | xargs -0r /bin/rm --
    fi
    done

    Another method is to create a function and pass arguments to move code
    outside loops or control statements to make it easier to follow.

    Here is an example. All new accounts on my system get

    $ cat /etc/skel/.bash_logout
    # ~/.bash_logout

    clear

    .. /local/bin/bash_logout

    #******************** end .bash_logout *******************

    /local/bin/bash_logout does whatever I want done for every account.

    Now, some accounts might not want some things cleaned out.
    Here is a snippet from bash_logout

    #*********************************************

    function del_trash
    {
    /bin/rm -fr $HOME/.adobe
    /bin/rm -fr $HOME/.java
    /bin/rm -fr $HOME/.mplayer
    /bin/rm -fr $HOME/.macromedia
    /bin/rm -fr $HOME/.nedi
    /bin/rm -fr $HOME/.ooo-2.0
    /bin/rm -f $HOME/.recently-*
    /bin/rm -f $HOME/.sversionrc
    /bin/rm -fr $HOME/tmp/svc*
    /bin/rm -f /tmp/jar*
    /bin/rm -fr /tmp/hsperfdata*
    /bin/rm -fr $HOME/tmp/svc*
    } # end del_trash

    (bunch of code snipped here)

    if [ "$_del_trash" = "yes" ] ; then
    del_trash
    fi

    #*********************************************

    Any user who does an
    export _del_trash=yes
    in their ~/.bash_profile or .bashrc
    will have the files and directories deleted for them.

    For extra points, read
    http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html

  5. Re: .thumbnails off.

    don wrote:
    > Hi group,
    > OP Mandriva 2007, using KDE Konqueror
    > Can someone tell me how to turn off .thumbnails.
    > I do not want to create or accumulate thumbnails in the .thumbnail
    > directory.
    > Don.
    > Keep smiling.

    Hi Group.
    Such a lot of help and information regarding thumbnails.
    Thanks.
    Don.
    Keep smiling.

  6. Re: .thumbnails off.

    don wrote:
    > Hi group,
    > OP Mandriva 2007, using KDE Konqueror
    > Can someone tell me how to turn off .thumbnails.
    > I do not want to create or accumulate thumbnails in the .thumbnail
    > directory.
    > Don.
    > Keep smiling.

    Make .thumbnails and its subdirectories read only. After you deleted
    thumbnails in there, of course. This trick can be used with any
    cookies file too.

+ Reply to Thread