Setting Theme needs root's superpowers? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Setting Theme needs root's superpowers? - Mandriva ; Have Mandriva (believe it's 2007) and recently set up a profile which will have GNOME as the default desktop. The last profile I had didn't have ANY capability to modify the theme of his desktop, and gets an error message ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Setting Theme needs root's superpowers?

  1. Setting Theme needs root's superpowers?

    Have Mandriva (believe it's 2007) and recently set up a profile which
    will have GNOME as the default desktop. The last profile I had didn't
    have ANY capability to modify the theme of his desktop, and gets an
    error message saying 'There was an error starting the GNOME settings
    daemon' and is unable to set the desktop and theme and so forth.

    I would like this new profile to be able to go to GNOME menu-
    >SystemPreferences->Theme and apply a theme to the desktop.


    Does he need to be a part of root user group to have this capability?
    The other profile is stuck with the vanilla (blue) desktop and doesn't
    have System Preferences in his menu at all.

    Thanks...


  2. Re: Setting Theme needs root's superpowers?

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 07:01:43 -0400, wrote:

    > Have Mandriva (believe it's 2007) and recently set up a profile which
    > will have GNOME as the default desktop. The last profile I had didn't
    > have ANY capability to modify the theme of his desktop, and gets an
    > error message saying 'There was an error starting the GNOME settings
    > daemon' and is unable to set the desktop and theme and so forth.


    Do you have the package "gnome-control-center" installed?

    What happens if you try to run "gnome-theme-managaer" from a terminal?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  3. Re: Setting Theme needs root's superpowers?

    On Jul 20, 12:36 pm, "David W. Hodgins"
    wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 07:01:43 -0400, wrote:
    > > Have Mandriva (believe it's 2007) and recently set up a profile which
    > > will have GNOME as the default desktop. The last profile I had didn't
    > > have ANY capability to modify the theme of his desktop, and gets an
    > > error message saying 'There was an error starting the GNOME settings
    > > daemon' and is unable to set the desktop and theme and so forth.

    >
    > Do you have the package "gnome-control-center" installed?
    >
    > What happens if you try to run "gnome-theme-managaer" from a terminal?
    >

    rpm -qi indicates gnome-control-center is installed. I tried to invoke
    gnome-theme-manager from here and also from a terminal and in each
    case I get this error:

    Unable to start the settings manager daemon. Without the GNOME
    settings manager running, some preferences may not take effect. This
    could indicate a problem with Bonobo, or a non-GNOME settings manager
    may already be active
    and conflicting with the GNOME settings manager.

    I didn't realize the window had focus (was copying the text into this
    by hand =) and inadvertently hit Return. It took me to the next window
    where I can select a theme. I could even navigate around, to Icons
    and Window borders, but upon selecting a theme in any of these,
    nothing happens except a 'Revert' button appears, as if the chosen
    theme had taken effect.

    Sorry it took me a while to get back.




  4. Re: Setting Theme needs root's superpowers?

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:06:36 -0400, wrote:

    > Unable to start the settings manager daemon. Without the GNOME


    Try running "/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon" from a terminal, and
    see what error messages that generates.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  5. Re: Setting Theme needs root's superpowers?

    On Jul 23, 1:11 pm, "David W. Hodgins"
    wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:06:36 -0400, wrote:
    > > Unable to start the settings manager daemon. Without the GNOME

    >
    > Try running "/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon" from a terminal, and
    > see what error messages that generates.
    >

    The bug buddy popped up, but from the terminal I issued the command
    from, this is what I got:

    (gnome-settings-daemon:3458): GSwitchIt-WARNING **: Unable to connect
    to dbus: Unable to determine the address of the message bus (try 'man
    dbus-launch' and 'man dbus-daemon' for help)

    ** (gnome-settings-daemon:3458): CRITICAL **:
    dbus_g_connection_register_g_object: assertion `connection != NULL'
    failed

    ** (gnome-settings-daemon:3458): CRITICAL **:
    dbus_g_proxy_new_for_name: assertion `connection != NULL' failed

    ** (gnome-settings-daemon:3458): CRITICAL **: dbus_g_proxy_call:
    assertion `DBUS_IS_G_PROXY (proxy)' failed

    ** (bug-buddy:3461): WARNING **: Couldn't load icon for Bonobo
    Component Browser

    ** (bug-buddy:3461): WARNING **: Couldn't load icon for Open Folder
    /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon: No such file or directory.

    warning: The current VSYSCALL page code requires an existing
    execuitable.
    Use "add-symbol-file-from-memory" to load the VSYSCALL page by hand
    ---


  6. Re: Setting Theme needs root's superpowers?

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:46:14 -0400, wrote:

    > The bug buddy popped up, but from the terminal I issued the command
    > from, this is what I got:
    > (gnome-settings-daemon:3458): GSwitchIt-WARNING **: Unable to connect
    > to dbus: Unable to determine the address of the message bus (try 'man
    > dbus-launch' and 'man dbus-daemon' for help)


    Getting closer. Try
    [root@hodgins ~]# chkconfig --list|grep bus
    messagebus 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    [root@hodgins ~]# ps -A |grep bus
    2093 ? 00:00:00 dbus-daemon
    4911 tty1 00:00:00 dbus-launch
    4912 ? 00:00:00 dbus-daemon

    and see how your output compares to mine.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  7. Re: Setting Theme needs root's superpowers?

    On Jul 24, 12:49 pm, "David W. Hodgins"
    wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:46:14 -0400, wrote:
    > > The bug buddy popped up, but from the terminal I issued the command
    > > from, this is what I got:
    > > (gnome-settings-daemon:3458): GSwitchIt-WARNING **: Unable to connect
    > > to dbus: Unable to determine the address of the message bus (try 'man
    > > dbus-launch' and 'man dbus-daemon' for help)

    >
    > Getting closer. Try
    > [root@hodgins ~]# chkconfig --list|grep bus
    > messagebus 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    > [root@hodgins ~]# ps -A |grep bus
    > 2093 ? 00:00:00 dbus-daemon
    > 4911 tty1 00:00:00 dbus-launch
    > 4912 ? 00:00:00 dbus-daemon
    >
    > and see how your output compares to mine.
    >

    For chkconfig I get the exact same output. But for the second command,
    I only get a single line which is almost the same as your first one,
    but with the number 1844 instead of 2093; but that's it.


  8. Re: Setting Theme needs root's superpowers?

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:49:17 -0400, wrote:

    > For chkconfig I get the exact same output. But for the second command,
    > I only get a single line which is almost the same as your first one,
    > but with the number 1844 instead of 2093; but that's it.


    I'd try exiting from Gnome, delete ~/.dbus (if it exists),
    su to root, service stop messagebus
    kill all services (if any) shown by ps -A |grep bus
    service start messagebus
    (ensure it shows ok)
    exit back to regular user
    startx GNOME
    open a terminal, and try the gnome-theme-manager again.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  9. Re: Setting Theme needs root's superpowers?

    On Jul 24, 5:06 pm, "David W. Hodgins"
    wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:49:17 -0400, wrote:
    > > For chkconfig I get the exact same output. But for the second command,
    > > I only get a single line which is almost the same as your first one,
    > > but with the number 1844 instead of 2093; but that's it.

    >
    > I'd try exiting from Gnome, delete ~/.dbus (if it exists),
    > su to root, service stop messagebus
    > kill all services (if any) shown by ps -A |grep bus
    > service start messagebus
    > (ensure it shows ok)
    > exit back to regular user
    > startx GNOME
    > open a terminal, and try the gnome-theme-manager again.
    >

    There was no .dbus, and I stopped and started messagebus. Using startx
    GNOME I get that same warning about not finding gnome-settings-daemon
    so some themes may not work correctly.

    >From a prior encounter with dbus (playing with beep media player but

    problems with it requiring dbus forced me to ditch it) I put this in
    my .xinitrc:
    dbus-launch --auto-syntax --exit-wth-session gnome-session

    and the warning about gnome-settings-daemon didn't appear! Although
    gnome-theme-manager is still not on the menu, I can invoke it from the
    terminal and the settings are taking effect, even just browsing to
    sample them out. The only thing I have left is to figure out what
    thing in GNOME disables direct rendering on my ATI card (forces it to
    sw GL acceleration); a problem for another day perhaps, but not a
    showstopper.

    Is it too early to buy you a drink David?


+ Reply to Thread