Thunderbird problem - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Thunderbird problem - Mandriva ; Ever since I installed Mandriva 2006 on my office machine, I have been unable to get a spell checker to work. Whether it is version 1.5.0.2 (via urpmi) or a downloaded version 2.0, Both tell me the British English fictionary ...

  1. Thunderbird problem

    Ever since I installed Mandriva 2006 on my office machine, I have been
    unable to get a spell checker to work. Whether it is version 1.5.0.2 (via
    urpmi) or a downloaded version 2.0, Both tell me the British English
    fictionary is not compatible. I tried installing the said dictionary from
    the website and have also followed the MozillaZine instructions. Yet
    nothing seems to work. I have also had this under Spring 2007 but I had to
    leave that version for other reasons and go back to 2006.

    Has anyone else had an experience like this?

  2. Re: Thunderbird problem

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > Ever since I installed Mandriva 2006 on my office machine, I have been
    > unable to get a spell checker to work. Whether it is version 1.5.0.2 (via
    > urpmi) or a downloaded version 2.0, Both tell me the British English
    > fictionary is not compatible. I tried installing the said dictionary from
    > the website and have also followed the MozillaZine instructions. Yet
    > nothing seems to work. I have also had this under Spring 2007 but I had to
    > leave that version for other reasons and go back to 2006.
    >
    > Has anyone else had an experience like this?

    I have just checked another machine with Mandrva 2007 and 1.5.0.2 and that
    handles it O.K. I'm even more baffled but it dosn't appear to be a Mandriva
    related issue after all. Sorry.

  3. Re: Thunderbird problem

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > Ever since I installed Mandriva 2006 on my office machine, I have been
    > unable to get a spell checker to work. Whether it is version 1.5.0.2 (via
    > urpmi) or a downloaded version 2.0, Both tell me the British English
    > fictionary is not compatible. I tried installing the said dictionary from
    > the website and have also followed the MozillaZine instructions. Yet
    > nothing seems to work. I have also had this under Spring 2007 but I had to
    > leave that version for other reasons and go back to 2006.
    >
    > Has anyone else had an experience like this?

    I have further discovered that the 'working' version has the US English
    dictionary installed but will also not recognise the British English
    dictionary. I will try and install the US dictionary on the problem machine
    and add British spellings!

  4. Re: Thunderbird problem

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > Ever since I installed Mandriva 2006 on my office machine, I have been
    > unable to get a spell checker to work. Whether it is version 1.5.0.2 (via
    > urpmi) or a downloaded version 2.0, Both tell me the British English
    > fictionary is not compatible. I tried installing the said dictionary from
    > the website and have also followed the MozillaZine instructions. Yet
    > nothing seems to work. I have also had this under Spring 2007 but I had to
    > leave that version for other reasons and go back to 2006.
    >
    > Has anyone else had an experience like this?

    Not here. I installed it under 2006, but have since upgraded to 2007.
    It is still running fine, caught a typo on this message ....

    Donald

  5. Re: Thunderbird problem

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> Ever since I installed Mandriva 2006 on my office machine, I have been
    >> unable to get a spell checker to work. Whether it is version 1.5.0.2 (via
    >> urpmi) or a downloaded version 2.0, Both tell me the British English
    >> fictionary is not compatible. I tried installing the said dictionary from
    >> the website and have also followed the MozillaZine instructions. Yet
    >> nothing seems to work. I have also had this under Spring 2007 but I had to
    >> leave that version for other reasons and go back to 2006.
    >>
    >> Has anyone else had an experience like this?

    > I have just checked another machine with Mandrva 2007 and 1.5.0.2 and that
    > handles it O.K. I'm even more baffled but it dosn't appear to be a Mandriva
    > related issue after all. Sorry.

    If that solve the problem ... IE it is a dictionary problem, you may
    wish to try Canadian English. It will be much the same as the British.
    We would not want to corrupt the language too much, after all ...

    Donald

  6. Re: Thunderbird problem

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:26:26 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:

    > Ever since I installed Mandriva 2006 on my office machine, I have been
    > unable to get a spell checker to work. Whether it is version 1.5.0.2 (via
    > urpmi) or a downloaded version 2.0, Both tell me the British English
    > fictionary is not compatible. I tried installing the said dictionary from
    > the website and have also followed the MozillaZine instructions. Yet
    > nothing seems to work. I have also had this under Spring 2007 but I had to
    > leave that version for other reasons and go back to 2006.
    >
    > Has anyone else had an experience like this?

    No. I learned how to spell way back in grade school, and I still remember
    how to do it, so I don't need a "spell checker".

  7. Re: Thunderbird problem

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:14:34 -0400, donald tees wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >> Alan Secker wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ever since I installed Mandriva 2006 on my office machine, I have been
    >>> unable to get a spell checker to work. Whether it is version 1.5.0.2 (via
    >>> urpmi) or a downloaded version 2.0, Both tell me the British English
    >>> fictionary is not compatible. I tried installing the said dictionary from
    >>> the website and have also followed the MozillaZine instructions. Yet
    >>> nothing seems to work. I have also had this under Spring 2007 but I had to
    >>> leave that version for other reasons and go back to 2006.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone else had an experience like this?

    >> I have just checked another machine with Mandrva 2007 and 1.5.0.2 and that
    >> handles it O.K. I'm even more baffled but it dosn't appear to be a Mandriva
    >> related issue after all. Sorry.
    >>

    > If that solve the problem ... IE it is a dictionary problem, you may
    > wish to try Canadian English. It will be much the same as the British.
    > We would not want to corrupt the language too much, after all ...
    >
    > Donald

    I took your advice. Unbelievable! On returning to Thunderbird, I went to
    Preferences to select the new dictionary and the only one offered was
    English/British. I selected it AND it works! Oh! the mysteries of
    computers.

    Thanks for a great tip! ?

    Alan

+ Reply to Thread