hacked or...? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on hacked or...? - Mandriva ; Hi all, I will try to explain my problem in a field I am totally ignorant For almost tree months I did not use internet; hardware problems with my d-link box... I did not bother to fix it as I ...

  1. hacked or...?

    Hi all,
    I will try to explain my problem in a field I am totally ignorant

    For almost tree months I did not use internet; hardware problems with my
    d-link box... I did not bother to fix it as I was in no mood to check mail
    or browse internet, ( it happens...) - I connect through a local area
    network - It came as a surprise when , a couple of days ago, my friend
    network administration told me that he saw me online ...as a first step ,
    after fixing the d-link problem I changed my password but the "problem "
    persisted, I could actually see on my friends computer screen my name
    online, and I was not able to connect from my PC; I was receiving the
    message "network unreacheble" after pinging my IP...

    He tryed unsuccesfully to localise from where this guy was connecting, but
    only could define the area...he used the phrase about the guy being
    "behind the firewall" ...and his MAC address getting lost...and using my
    IP with a different MAC...
    Sorry, I can not be more specific as networking is definetly not my
    field,

    The MAC has being disabled now and my IP has to be changed I believe...I
    was wondering if there is a way to find out who did it, and if that
    changing the IP would be enough... Any help would be appreciated...
    santo

  2. Re: hacked or...?

    santo wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I will try to explain my problem in a field I am totally ignorant
    >
    > For almost tree months I did not use internet; hardware problems with my
    > d-link box... I did not bother to fix it as I was in no mood to check mail
    > or browse internet, ( it happens...) - I connect through a local area
    > network - It came as a surprise when , a couple of days ago, my friend
    > network administration told me that he saw me online ...as a first step ,
    > after fixing the d-link problem I changed my password but the "problem "
    > persisted, I could actually see on my friends computer screen my name
    > online, and I was not able to connect from my PC; I was receiving the
    > message "network unreacheble" after pinging my IP...
    >
    > He tryed unsuccesfully to localise from where this guy was connecting, but
    > only could define the area...he used the phrase about the guy being
    > "behind the firewall" ...and his MAC address getting lost...and using my
    > IP with a different MAC...
    > Sorry, I can not be more specific as networking is definetly not my
    > field,
    >
    > The MAC has being disabled now and my IP has to be changed I believe...I
    > was wondering if there is a way to find out who did it, and if that
    > changing the IP would be enough... Any help would be appreciated...
    > santo

    Try posting this on comp.os.linux.security

    --
    Dawid Michalczyk
    http://www.comp.eonworks.com _Linux SysAdmin and Webmaster scripts_

+ Reply to Thread