I have a headless server catching backups in my closet. It's connected
to my network wirelessly and generally does a fine job. Problem is,
after some updates, it seems the machine will lose connectivity.

Now, it's kind of hard to know what's going on because the machine is
headless and I'm SSH'ing into it from this desktop. My first clue that
something is wrong comes when I check logs for daily backups. They will
report I/O errors or just show up blank depending on the log.

Once I see that, I try to get a directory listing for mounted shares
from this machine or just "fs" to see if I can access it. I invariably
get I/O errors. The next step is to walk back to the closet and use the
power button to bounce the machine.

When it comes back up, I can wait a minute or two and the machine will
seem to be up, the light on the wifi card will be steady green, but I
still won't be able to connect to it.

Running nmap against it shows something like this:

Starting Nmap 4.20 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-07-16 11:17 MDT
Interesting ports on adamsmdk (192.168.1.100):
Not shown: 1691 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
xx/tcp open ftp
xxx/tcp open rpcbind
xxx/tcp open ipp
xxxx/tcp open unknown
xx/tcp open rsync
xxxx/tcp open nfs

Obviously, I can't SSH in because that service is not started. But i
have discovered that I can walk back to the closet and plug in a
keyboard and hit enter. The light on the wifi card will flicker and by
the time I get back to my desktop, another pass with nmap will yield:

Starting Nmap 4.20 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-07-16 11:19 MDT
Interesting ports on adamsmdk (192.168.1.100):
Not shown: 1682 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
xx/tcp open ftp
xx/tcp open ssh
xx/tcp open http
xxx/tcp open rpcbind
xxx/tcp open netbios-ssn
xxx/tcp open https
xxx/tcp open microsoft-ds
xxx/tcp open ipp
xxx/tcp open unknown
xx/tcp open rsync
xxxx/tcp open nfs
xxxx/tcp open vnc-http-1
xxxx/tcp open vnc-1
xxxx/tcp open X11:1
xxxxx/tcp open snet-sensor-mgmt

I've checked the logs and from all I can gather, it looks as if the
machine is hanging just after SAMBA initializes. Beyond that I have no
idea what's happening.

I first noticed this about a month ago after updating a large number of
packages. I update regularly, but mirrors go stale and too frequently,
updates get missed.

At any rate, does anybody have any idea how I can track down glitch in
the boot process on this machine?

Thanks.

--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

Not only Guinness - Linux is good for you, too.
-- Banzai on IRC