Hanging on boot - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Hanging on boot - Mandriva ; I have a headless server catching backups in my closet. It's connected to my network wirelessly and generally does a fine job. Problem is, after some updates, it seems the machine will lose connectivity. Now, it's kind of hard to ...

  1. Hanging on boot

    I have a headless server catching backups in my closet. It's connected
    to my network wirelessly and generally does a fine job. Problem is,
    after some updates, it seems the machine will lose connectivity.

    Now, it's kind of hard to know what's going on because the machine is
    headless and I'm SSH'ing into it from this desktop. My first clue that
    something is wrong comes when I check logs for daily backups. They will
    report I/O errors or just show up blank depending on the log.

    Once I see that, I try to get a directory listing for mounted shares
    from this machine or just "fs" to see if I can access it. I invariably
    get I/O errors. The next step is to walk back to the closet and use the
    power button to bounce the machine.

    When it comes back up, I can wait a minute or two and the machine will
    seem to be up, the light on the wifi card will be steady green, but I
    still won't be able to connect to it.

    Running nmap against it shows something like this:

    Starting Nmap 4.20 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-07-16 11:17 MDT
    Interesting ports on adamsmdk (192.168.1.100):
    Not shown: 1691 closed ports
    PORT STATE SERVICE
    xx/tcp open ftp
    xxx/tcp open rpcbind
    xxx/tcp open ipp
    xxxx/tcp open unknown
    xx/tcp open rsync
    xxxx/tcp open nfs

    Obviously, I can't SSH in because that service is not started. But i
    have discovered that I can walk back to the closet and plug in a
    keyboard and hit enter. The light on the wifi card will flicker and by
    the time I get back to my desktop, another pass with nmap will yield:

    Starting Nmap 4.20 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-07-16 11:19 MDT
    Interesting ports on adamsmdk (192.168.1.100):
    Not shown: 1682 closed ports
    PORT STATE SERVICE
    xx/tcp open ftp
    xx/tcp open ssh
    xx/tcp open http
    xxx/tcp open rpcbind
    xxx/tcp open netbios-ssn
    xxx/tcp open https
    xxx/tcp open microsoft-ds
    xxx/tcp open ipp
    xxx/tcp open unknown
    xx/tcp open rsync
    xxxx/tcp open nfs
    xxxx/tcp open vnc-http-1
    xxxx/tcp open vnc-1
    xxxx/tcp open X11:1
    xxxxx/tcp open snet-sensor-mgmt

    I've checked the logs and from all I can gather, it looks as if the
    machine is hanging just after SAMBA initializes. Beyond that I have no
    idea what's happening.

    I first noticed this about a month ago after updating a large number of
    packages. I update regularly, but mirrors go stale and too frequently,
    updates get missed.

    At any rate, does anybody have any idea how I can track down glitch in
    the boot process on this machine?

    Thanks.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    You can do very well in speculation where land or anything to do with dirt
    is concerned.

  2. Re: Hanging on boot

    Mark Adams wrote:

    > I have a headless server catching backups in my closet. It's connected
    > to my network wirelessly and generally does a fine job. Problem is,
    > after some updates, it seems the machine will lose connectivity.
    >
    > Now, it's kind of hard to know what's going on because the machine is
    > headless and I'm SSH'ing into it from this desktop. My first clue that
    > something is wrong comes when I check logs for daily backups. They will
    > report I/O errors or just show up blank depending on the log.

    > Once I see that, I try to get a directory listing for mounted shares
    > from this machine or just "fs" to see if I can access it. I invariably
    > get I/O errors. The next step is to walk back to the closet and use the
    > power button to bounce the machine.

    At this point have you lost your SSH connection? if not why not restart the
    machine through SSH rather than going and hitting the power button?

    > I've checked the logs and from all I can gather, it looks as if the
    > machine is hanging just after SAMBA initializes. Beyond that I have no
    > idea what's happening.

    Stop Samba from starting at boot and possibly other networking services but
    leave the network itself and SSH to start, see if it reboots cleanly.
    start services manually via ssh and check they all work and add them back
    until you find out which one causes the errors.

    Andrew Ed

  3. Re: Hanging on boot

    Andrew Ed wrote:
    > Mark Adams wrote:
    >
    >> I have a headless server catching backups in my closet. It's connected
    >> to my network wirelessly and generally does a fine job. Problem is,
    >> after some updates, it seems the machine will lose connectivity.
    >>
    >> Now, it's kind of hard to know what's going on because the machine is
    >> headless and I'm SSH'ing into it from this desktop. My first clue that
    >> something is wrong comes when I check logs for daily backups. They will
    >> report I/O errors or just show up blank depending on the log.

    >> Once I see that, I try to get a directory listing for mounted shares
    >> from this machine or just "fs" to see if I can access it. I invariably
    >> get I/O errors. The next step is to walk back to the closet and use the
    >> power button to bounce the machine.

    > At this point have you lost your SSH connection? if not why not restart the
    > machine through SSH rather than going and hitting the power button?

    Right, I get the I/O errors because connectivity is gone. I can't get
    into the box with anything.

    >> I've checked the logs and from all I can gather, it looks as if the
    >> machine is hanging just after SAMBA initializes. Beyond that I have no
    >> idea what's happening.

    > Stop Samba from starting at boot and possibly other networking services but
    > leave the network itself and SSH to start, see if it reboots cleanly.
    > start services manually via ssh and check they all work and add them back
    > until you find out which one causes the errors.

    That's an idea, though there seems to be a chance that it's whatever
    comes after samba that's hosing the system. I'm tied up today, but when
    I get the chance I'll pursue that.

    Thanks Andrew.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com -*- Mandriva User# 263042

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    Conquest is easy. Control is not.
    -- Kirk, "Mirror, Mirror", stardate unknown

  4. Re: Hanging on boot

    Mark Adams wrote:
    > I have a headless server catching backups in my closet. It's connected
    > to my network wirelessly and generally does a fine job. Problem is,
    > after some updates, it seems the machine will lose connectivity.
    >
    > Now, it's kind of hard to know what's going on because the machine is
    > headless and I'm SSH'ing into it from this desktop.

    Does it have a serial port? Do you own a serial cable?
    If so you can get in with a terminal emulator.

    > Running nmap against it shows something like this:

    So something or other is hanging after the network starts and
    ssh never comes up. Get the serial port working, then reboot to
    failsafe, and manually run through the /etc/rc.d/rc2.d steps until
    you hit the one that is waiting for keyboard input.

    For what it's worth, I've had unending problems with Mandriva
    deciding it wants to write over my configuration with some default
    or other, which breaks the computer lab PCs every time. A few
    days ago it was once again an uncalled for rewriting of
    /etc/shorewall/rules, removing my rules, and putting in a single
    include of rules.drakx. Sigh. At least I know have my findchanges.sh
    script in place (see previous post) and can now find these
    problems very quickly. Anyway, now all my rules are in
    rules.drakx, but no doubt IT will eventually be rewritten by
    something else :-( .

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  5. Re: Hanging on boot

    > That's an idea, though there seems to be a chance that it's whatever comes
    > after samba that's hosing the system. I'm tied up today, but when I get
    > the chance I'll pursue that

    I have had some trouble a while ago with a particular usb card reader that
    if plugged in on boot up but with no CF or SD card installed would cause
    the system to hang. If it had a card in either slot or the reader just not
    plugged
    in then the system would boot. That was even with auto mount of the media
    turned off in fstab. I just boot with it removed on that machine now and
    connect
    on the very rare case of needing to do so. That was using 2005LE I've
    never
    tested it on boot through the last few changes to Mandriva, I use it so
    rarely.
    This issue appeared just after smbd and nmbd were trying to run, your
    mileage
    may differ but it could be a similar issue.

    However, I would be looking to see why your SSH connection is dropping first
    as that at least gives you control of your machine without the need to hit
    the
    power button. A cron job that is running on a very long schedule?

    Andrew Ed

+ Reply to Thread