CNN's New Format And Firefox - Mandriva

This is a discussion on CNN's New Format And Firefox - Mandriva ; Ever since CNN rolled out it's new "Blog Style" format, I have not been able to view videos on it's site. The first commercial will display, then it just stops, and doesn't go on to the requested video. Anyone else ...

  1. CNN's New Format And Firefox

    Ever since CNN rolled out it's new "Blog Style" format, I have not been
    able to view videos on it's site. The first commercial will display, then
    it just stops, and doesn't go on to the requested video. Anyone else have
    a problem with the new site?

  2. Re: CNN's New Format And Firefox

    On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:24:08 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:
    > Ever since CNN rolled out it's new "Blog Style" format, I have not been
    > able to view videos on it's site. The first commercial will display, then
    > it just stops, and doesn't go on to the requested video. Anyone else have
    > a problem with the new site?

    and that site is what.

    I can view videos from http://www.cnn.com/

    looking in aboutlugings, I have
    Shockwave Flash
    File name: libflashplayer.so
    Shockwave Flash 9.0 r48

    Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_02-b05
    File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
    Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_02

    MozPlugger 1.8.0 handles QuickTime and Windows Media Player Plugin
    File name: mozplugger.so
    MozPlugger version 1.8.0,

    DivX Browser Plug-In
    File name: mplayerplug-in-dvx.so
    mplayerplug-in 3.40

  3. Re: CNN's New Format And Firefox

    On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:24:08 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    > Ever since CNN rolled out it's new "Blog Style" format, I have not been
    > able to view videos on it's site....

    Les...viewing CNN will both lower your IQ and your sperm count. Consider
    yourself lucky.

  4. Re: CNN's New Format And Firefox

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:25:39 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:24:08 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:
    >> Ever since CNN rolled out it's new "Blog Style" format, I have not been
    >> able to view videos on it's site. The first commercial will display, then
    >> it just stops, and doesn't go on to the requested video. Anyone else have
    >> a problem with the new site?

    > and that site is what.
    >
    > I can view videos from http://www.cnn.com/
    >
    > looking in aboutlugings, I have
    > Shockwave Flash
    > File name: libflashplayer.so
    > Shockwave Flash 9.0 r48
    >
    > Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_02-b05
    > File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
    > Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_02
    >
    > MozPlugger 1.8.0 handles QuickTime and Windows Media Player Plugin
    > File name: mozplugger.so
    > MozPlugger version 1.8.0,
    >
    > DivX Browser Plug-In
    > File name: mplayerplug-in-dvx.so
    > mplayerplug-in 3.40

    I have all of that in my configuration as well.

  5. Re: CNN's New Format And Firefox

    On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:34:55 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:
    >> I can view videos from http://www.cnn.com/

    > I have all of that in my configuration as well.

    Then the only other thing differnt then,
    is I have noscript plugin and privoxy installed.
    I only enabled cnn.net and cnn.com for java access via noscript.

    Nothing external in my /etc/hosts file and blocking popups in firefox.

  6. Re: CNN's New Format And Firefox

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 03:49:02 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:34:55 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:
    >>> I can view videos from http://www.cnn.com/

    >> I have all of that in my configuration as well.

    > Then the only other thing differnt then,
    > is I have noscript plugin and privoxy installed.
    > I only enabled cnn.net and cnn.com for java access via noscript.
    >
    > Nothing external in my /etc/hosts file and blocking popups in firefox.

    Well the fact that the commercial will run fine, then hang at the end is
    my concern. Is something redirecting it after the commercial?..

  7. Re: CNN's New Format And Firefox

    On 2007-07-17, Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    >>> I have all of that in my configuration as well.

    >> Then the only other thing differnt then,
    >> is I have noscript plugin and privoxy installed.
    >> I only enabled cnn.net and cnn.com for java access via noscript.
    >>
    >> Nothing external in my /etc/hosts file and blocking popups in firefox.

    > Well the fact that the commercial will run fine, then hang at the end is
    > my concern. Is something redirecting it after the commercial?..

    The web site for one of my local TV stations was showing the
    same symptoms, and it appeared to me that the feature
    presentation was using a Gates-ware-only codec, even though
    the commercial before it was using a codec that worked with
    Linux. For me, that content was not worth the hassle of
    trying to find and install the needed codec, so I gave up.
    Someone else posted a similar problem a few weeks ago,
    possibly in a different newsgroup, and it seemed to be
    consistent with the codec theory.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  8. Re: CNN's New Format And Firefox

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > On 2007-07-17, Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    >>> Then the only other thing differnt then,
    >>> is I have noscript plugin and privoxy installed.
    >>> I only enabled cnn.net and cnn.com for java access via noscript.
    >>>
    >>> Nothing external in my /etc/hosts file and blocking popups in firefox.

    >> Well the fact that the commercial will run fine, then hang at the end is
    >> my concern. Is something redirecting it after the commercial?..

    > The web site for one of my local TV stations was showing the
    > same symptoms, and it appeared to me that the feature
    > presentation was using a Gates-ware-only codec, even though
    > the commercial before it was using a codec that worked with
    > Linux. For me, that content was not worth the hassle of
    > trying to find and install the needed codec, so I gave up.
    > Someone else posted a similar problem a few weeks ago,
    > possibly in a different newsgroup, and it seemed to be
    > consistent with the codec theory.

    I'm the guy who posted a few weeks ago, and it's still doing the same
    thing, exhibiting exactly the same symptoms described. It's good to hear
    it isn't just me with the problem.

    I run a dual-boot system with Windows 98SE. I tried running Firefox in
    Windows on the site and it worked fine, supporting your codec theory.
    However, this week even that no longer works. In fact, I can't even view
    the commercial with Windows Firefox. I queried the TV station about the
    minimum requirements to view videos, and they replied,

    > “the minimum version that is needed to watch video is Flash Player 8 (though Flash Player 9 is recommended and needed for full screen).”

    So according to them, it should work. Yet it doesn't, for either Linux
    or Windows versions of Firefox. My next thing to try is
    Internet Explorer.

    TJ

  9. Re: CNN's New Format And Firefox

    TJ wrote:
    > Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    >>> Well the fact that the commercial will run fine, then hang at the end is
    >>> my concern. Is something redirecting it after the commercial?..

    >> The web site for one of my local TV stations was showing the
    >> same symptoms, and it appeared to me that the feature
    >> presentation was using a Gates-ware-only codec, even though
    >> the commercial before it was using a codec that worked with
    >> Linux. For me, that content was not worth the hassle of
    >> trying to find and install the needed codec, so I gave up.
    >> Someone else posted a similar problem a few weeks ago,
    >> possibly in a different newsgroup, and it seemed to be
    >> consistent with the codec theory.
    >>

    > I'm the guy who posted a few weeks ago, and it's still doing the same
    > thing, exhibiting exactly the same symptoms described. It's good to hear
    > it isn't just me with the problem.
    >
    > I run a dual-boot system with Windows 98SE. I tried running Firefox in
    > Windows on the site and it worked fine, supporting your codec theory.
    > However, this week even that no longer works. In fact, I can't even view
    > the commercial with Windows Firefox. I queried the TV station about the
    > minimum requirements to view videos, and they replied,
    >>

    >> “the minimum version that is needed to watch video is Flash Player 8
    >> (though Flash Player 9 is recommended and needed for full screen).”

    > So according to them, it should work. Yet it doesn't, for either Linux
    > or Windows versions of Firefox. My next thing to try is
    > Internet Explorer.
    >
    > TJ

    Just got back from Windows 98SE, and something must have happened,
    because now both Firefox and Internet Explorer work to play
    videos. Firefox in Mandriva still doesn't.

    If somebody figures this out, please post the solution here. In my case,
    it's the videos on the www.9wsyr.com website that are troublesome.

    TJ

  10. Re: CNN's New Format And Firefox

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 03:49:02 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:34:55 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:
    >>> I can view videos from http://www.cnn.com/

    >> I have all of that in my configuration as well.

    > Then the only other thing differnt then,
    > is I have noscript plugin and privoxy installed.
    > I only enabled cnn.net and cnn.com for java access via noscript.
    >
    > Nothing external in my /etc/hosts file and blocking popups in firefox.

    Well it appears that it must have been one particular commercial (for an
    HBO series) that always seemed to popup when I tried a video. Just
    checked, got an ATT commericial, and then the real video.

  11. Re: CNN's New Format And Firefox

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:46:58 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > Just got back from Windows 98SE, and something must have happened,
    > because now both Firefox and Internet Explorer work to play
    > videos. Firefox in Mandriva still doesn't.
    >
    > If somebody figures this out, please post the solution here. In my case,
    > it's the videos on the www.9wsyr.com website that are troublesome.

    I was able to see all the commercials, none of the video clips showed up.

  12. Re: CNN's New Format And Firefox

    Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    >>> I have all of that in my configuration as well.

    >> Then the only other thing differnt then,
    >> is I have noscript plugin and privoxy installed.
    >> I only enabled cnn.net and cnn.com for java access via noscript.
    >>
    >> Nothing external in my /etc/hosts file and blocking popups in firefox.

    > Well it appears that it must have been one particular commercial (for an
    > HBO series) that always seemed to popup when I tried a video. Just
    > checked, got an ATT commericial, and then the real video.

    I just tried cnn.com and I was able to watch videos just fine. It's
    strange, though. I didn't see any commercials.

    TJ

  13. Re: CNN's New Format And Firefox

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:46:58 -0400, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> Just got back from Windows 98SE, and something must have happened,
    >> because now both Firefox and Internet Explorer work to play
    >> videos. Firefox in Mandriva still doesn't.
    >>
    >> If somebody figures this out, please post the solution here. In my case,
    >> it's the videos on the www.9wsyr.com website that are troublesome.

    > I was able to see all the commercials, none of the video clips showed up.

    Well at least it's not just me, then. If the CNN problem was with one
    particular commercial, then that probably is the key, and the problem at
    9wsyr.com is similar, if not the same.

    TJ

  14. Re: CNN's New Format And Firefox

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 03:49:02 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:34:55 -0500, Les B. Labbauf wrote:
    >>> I can view videos from http://www.cnn.com/

    >> I have all of that in my configuration as well.

    > Then the only other thing differnt then, is I have noscript plugin and
    > privoxy installed. I only enabled cnn.net and cnn.com for java access
    > via noscript.
    >
    > Nothing external in my /etc/hosts file and blocking popups in firefox.

    I also have noscript installed. In addition to enabling cnn.net and
    cnn.com, I also had to enable atwola.com.

  15. Re: CNN's New Format And Firefox

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 09:08:52 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > Les B. Labbauf wrote:

    >>> Then the only other thing differnt then,
    >>> is I have noscript plugin and privoxy installed.
    >>> I only enabled cnn.net and cnn.com for java access via noscript.
    >>>
    >>> Nothing external in my /etc/hosts file and blocking popups in firefox.

    >> Well it appears that it must have been one particular commercial (for an
    >> HBO series) that always seemed to popup when I tried a video. Just
    >> checked, got an ATT commericial, and then the real video.

    > I just tried cnn.com and I was able to watch videos just fine. It's
    > strange, though. I didn't see any commercials.
    >
    > TJ

    Almost all of the videos I have clicked on had an ad before the news video
    ran. No problems since the last one I encountered. But the video is
    still a bit jerky.

+ Reply to Thread