Packages with "bad signatures" - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Packages with "bad signatures" - Mandriva ; I am running Mandriva Spring. I am aware that the "bad signatures" issue is fairly harmless. But I have all the Mandriva signature keys installed, and still get "bad signature" for every package downloaded, whether from contrib or main. What ...

  1. Packages with "bad signatures"

    I am running Mandriva Spring. I am aware that the "bad signatures" issue is
    fairly harmless. But I have all the Mandriva signature keys installed, and
    still get "bad signature" for every package downloaded, whether from
    contrib or main. What gives?

    And these days I have to look at the keyboard while I type. Will somebody
    _please_ tell me why I regularly find that instead of the window I thought
    I had, the top window is the Kerry Beagle Search, and how do I stop it?
    Like KDE Wallet, uninstalling it does nothing. KDE is getting more like
    Windows every day - using the computer for what the OS wants, not for what
    I want - I am only "interfaced" to the Boss.

    Doug L.
    --
    I am a man; I consider nothing pertaining to mankind as foreign to my
    nature.

  2. Re: Packages with "bad signatures"

    On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:46:21 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > I am running Mandriva Spring. I am aware that the "bad signatures" issue is
    > fairly harmless. But I have all the Mandriva signature keys installed, and
    > still get "bad signature" for every package downloaded, whether from
    > contrib or main. What gives?

    I have seen those a few times. My SWAG is the site is out of sync and
    you have to wait for another update to the master to push the mirror
    back in sync.

    Change mirrors or wait for an update.

    > And these days I have to look at the keyboard while I type. Will somebody
    > _please_ tell me why I regularly find that instead of the window I thought
    > I had, the top window is the Kerry Beagle Search, and how do I stop it?

    Turn it off down in KDE Control Center,
    KDE Components
    Desktop Search (Beagle)
    Click Daemon Status tab
    Click Stop button top right

  3. Re: Packages with "bad signatures"

    On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:46:21 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > I am running Mandriva Spring. I am aware that the "bad signatures" issue is
    > fairly harmless.

    Not if they are corrupt.

    Can we assume you deleted them from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms
    and tried again.

  4. Re: Packages with "bad signatures"

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:46:21 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> I am running Mandriva Spring. I am aware that the "bad signatures" issue
    >> is
    >> fairly harmless. But I have all the Mandriva signature keys installed,
    >> and
    >> still get "bad signature" for every package downloaded, whether from
    >> contrib or main. What gives?

    > I have seen those a few times. My SWAG is the site is out of sync and
    > you have to wait for another update to the master to push the mirror
    > back in sync.
    >
    > Change mirrors or wait for an update.
    >

    >> And these days I have to look at the keyboard while I type. Will
    >> somebody _please_ tell me why I regularly find that instead of the window
    >> I thought I had, the top window is the Kerry Beagle Search, and how do I
    >> stop it?

    > Turn it off down in KDE Control Center,
    > KDE Components
    > Desktop Search (Beagle)
    > Click Daemon Status tab
    > Click Stop button top right

    Thanks. I think that it is time that I looked at an alternative desktop
    environment. KDE is bogged down with useless stuff. Compiz and the rest
    are O.K. for those for whom a computer is a pretty (and expensive) toy, but
    just get in my way, so I didn't activate them. I have the saame reaction
    to GNOME that Linus has, that it is pretty hopeless compared to KDE. I
    need something like IceWM. I have no preference between the GTK and Qt
    widget sets; it is just that the KDE applications were (mostly) thought
    through on paper before they were even started, and Gnome weren't.

    Doug.
    --
    Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people
    who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.

  5. Re: Packages with "bad signatures"

    On 2007-07-16, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:46:21 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    [...]

    > Thanks. I think that it is time that I looked at an alternative desktop
    > environment. KDE is bogged down with useless stuff. Compiz and the rest
    > are O.K. for those for whom a computer is a pretty (and expensive) toy, but
    > just get in my way, so I didn't activate them. I have the saame reaction
    > to GNOME that Linus has, that it is pretty hopeless compared to KDE. I
    > need something like IceWM. I have no preference between the GTK and Qt
    > widget sets; it is just that the KDE applications were (mostly) thought
    > through on paper before they were even started, and Gnome weren't.
    >
    > Doug.

    Can I suggest that you give XFce4 a try? Highly configurable and lighter
    than either Gnome or KDE - and not very much like either, so allow some
    learning time. Kmail runs fine in XFce4, and although I don't use it any
    more Knode used to. If you have KDE installed you can still use the KDE
    config tools etc for any apps that rely on them - Xfce can be told to use
    KDE and/or Gnome 'services' if you want it to.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  6. Re: Packages with "bad signatures"

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:46:37 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Thanks. I think that it is time that I looked at an alternative desktop
    > environment. KDE is bogged down with useless stuff. Compiz and the rest
    > are O.K. for those for whom a computer is a pretty (and expensive) toy,
    > but just get in my way, so I didn't activate them. I have the saame
    > reaction to GNOME that Linus has, that it is pretty hopeless compared to
    > KDE. I need something like IceWM. [...]

    Use a light window manager instead of a "desktop". I have used fluxbox
    for quite some time now. I can truthfully say it has never gotten in my
    way of using my PC. It is also very light on resources thus leaving more
    processor and RAM for my applications.

    Why I prefer fluxbox: Light weight window manager. No icons. Right click
    text based menu. Simple *small* toolbar that I set to auto-hide. [Alt]
    +[F#] key to switch to any of my 10 workspaces or switch with mouse
    scroll wheel. Runs any of the KDE/Gnome/unaffiliated applications I want.
    Only what I *want* loaded is loaded when fluxbox starts. On a new PC with
    no previous /home absolutely nothing I do not want is loaded when I start
    fluxbox the first time. I could go on, but one should "get the picture"
    by this point.

    Read about it here - http://www.fluxbox.org/

    Does it take "getting familiar with"? Yes. Is it difficult to "get
    familiar with"? I would say the answer depends on one's intellect and
    temperament. It was not difficult for me and should be simple for anyone
    with a functioning brain but YMMV.

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    11:34:17 up 7 days, 1:17, 2 users, load average: 0.48, 0.31, 0.30
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/ <- get VOIP here!
    eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare preloads & sales

  7. Re: Packages with "bad signatures"

    on Monday 16 July 2007 17:46
    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I am running Mandriva Spring. I am aware that the "bad signatures" issue
    > is
    > fairly harmless. But I have all the Mandriva signature keys installed,
    > and
    > still get "bad signature" for every package downloaded, whether from
    > contrib or main. What gives?

    [snip]

    Some possibilities, roughly arranged from bad to worse;

    the rpm was signed with the wrong key,
    you are importing from a 3rd party source without accepting the key first,
    your system is mis-configured,
    you are trying to install an rpm that does not suit your system,
    urpmi is broken,
    rpm (the program) is broken,
    the rpm (package) is corrupt (and will damage your system),
    the rpm is compromised (and your machine will be owned by a black hat).

    Assuming that you saved the rpms as you installed them try,
    "nice rpm --checksig .rpm". If that works while urpmi
    reports an error send a bug report to Mandriva.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

+ Reply to Thread