Login failed via X only - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Login failed via X only - Mandriva ; I've just installed 2007 Spring on a new machine and can log in via ssh as either root or my id however trying to log in via kdm gives the helpful "Login failed". There's nothing in any of the logs, ...

  1. Login failed via X only

    I've just installed 2007 Spring on a new machine and can log in via ssh as
    either root or my id however trying to log in via kdm gives the
    helpful "Login failed". There's nothing in any of the logs, any ideas
    anyone?

  2. Re: Login failed via X only

    On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:17:45 +0100, Simon J. Rowe wrote:
    > I've just installed 2007 Spring on a new machine and can log in via ssh as
    > either root or my id however trying to log in via kdm gives the
    > helpful "Login failed".

    Are you trying to login in as a user like srowe, or as root?

  3. Re: Login failed via X only

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > Are you trying to login in as a user like srowe, or as root?

    Both, neither work via X but work via a virtual terminal and ssh.

  4. Re: Login failed via X only

    Fixed it. When I applied the updates urpmi kindly removed a number of RPMs
    that KDE needed...

+ Reply to Thread