unable to traceroute - Mandriva

This is a discussion on unable to traceroute - Mandriva ; I am using Mandriva 2007 free, release 2.6.17-5mdv on an i686 machine. when I attempt a traceroute I get the message: bash: traceroute: command not found Thanks, George...

  1. unable to traceroute

    I am using Mandriva 2007 free, release 2.6.17-5mdv on an i686 machine.
    when I attempt a traceroute I get the message: bash: traceroute: command
    not found
    Thanks, George

  2. Re: unable to traceroute

    none wrote:

    > I am using Mandriva 2007 free, release 2.6.17-5mdv on an i686 machine.
    > when I attempt a traceroute I get the message: bash: traceroute: command
    > not found

    George,

    change to root first and you'll find this command.

    Rob.

  3. Re: unable to traceroute

    none wrote:
    > when I attempt a traceroute I get the message: bash: traceroute:
    > command not found

    The most likely scenario is that you have msec set to level 4.

    http://tinyurl.com/2pt4dh

  4. Re: unable to traceroute

    On 12 Jul at 10:15 none <""george\"@(none)"> wrote in message

    > Scott B. wrote:
    > > none wrote:
    > > > when I attempt a traceroute I get the message: bash: traceroute:
    > > > command not found

    > > The most likely scenario is that you have msec set to level 4.
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/2pt4dh

    > when I attempt a traceroute, as root, I get the message: bash: traceroute:
    > command not found. tracert works with xp. George

    as root: urpmi traceroute

    --
    Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
    Buckinghamshire, England

  5. Re: unable to traceroute

    On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 07:44:47 +0000, none wrote:
    > I am using Mandriva 2007 free, release 2.6.17-5mdv on an i686 machine.
    > when I attempt a traceroute I get the message: bash: traceroute: command
    > not found

    Usuall problem is, it's location is not in your PATH variable or not
    installed.

    The following assumes you have installed the mlocate package and
    /etc/cron.daily/mlocate.cron has executed.

    Using the locate utility, we find
    $ locate traceroute | grep bin
    /usr/sbin/traceroute
    /usr/sbin/traceroute6

    That indicates you need /usr/sbin in your PATH variable.
    $ echo -e ${PATH//:/\\n}
    /usr/local/bin
    /bin
    /usr/bin
    /usr/games
    /usr/lib/qt3//bin
    /sbin
    /usr/sbin <=========== see there is where I added it to mine
    /local/bin
    /home/bittwister/bin
    /home/bittwister/work

    If you do/have not installed mlocate, doing a
    $ ls -al /usr/sbin/traceroute
    returns something like
    -rwsr-xr-x 1 root bin 18204 Jan 28 17:17 /usr/sbin/traceroute

    you can do a
    /usr/sbin/traceroute
    or
    export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin
    and
    traceroute somewhere should work

  6. Re: unable to traceroute

    Tony van der Hoff wrote:
    > On 12 Jul at 10:15 none <""george\"@(none)"> wrote in message
    >

    >> Scott B. wrote:
    >>> The most likely scenario is that you have msec set to level 4.
    >>>
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/2pt4dh

    >> when I attempt a traceroute, as root, I get the message: bash: traceroute:
    >> command not found. tracert works with xp. George
    >>

    > as root: urpmi traceroute

    thanks, that did it!

+ Reply to Thread