Releases/Mandriva/2008.0/What's New - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Releases/Mandriva/2008.0/What's New - Mandriva ; Looking like a clean install will be much faster than an upgrade for 2008.0 http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases...What's_New Schedule: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases....0/Development Change preview: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Developm...cal_specs_2008...

  1. Releases/Mandriva/2008.0/What's New

    Looking like a clean install will be much faster than an upgrade for 2008.0
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases...What's_New

    Schedule: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases....0/Development

    Change preview:
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Developm...cal_specs_2008

  2. Re: Releases/Mandriva/2008.0/What's New

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 19:40:59 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > Looking like a clean install will be much faster than an upgrade for
    > 2008.0
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandriva/2008.0/

    What's_New

    > Schedule:
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases....0/Development
    >
    > Change preview:
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Development/Ideas/

    Technical_specs_2008

    I'm skeptical. I just watched the Compiz Fusion Demonstration video and
    a lot of those effects are, of course, available in 2007 and 2007.1, but
    I've never been able to get Gnome to work with them, at least not
    reliably and I've tried both OS's in the Power Pack versions at $80 a
    pop. Now this computer was a P4 3.6Gig with 2g of DDRAM and a 256MB
    nVidia card, so I know it shouldn't be a hardware issue. I even revamped
    recently to a dual core 3.4Gig with 2g of DDR2 and an nVidia 512Mb card
    and STILL can't get the 3D effects to work without trashing X. Cripes, I
    still can't even get my System Sound Effects to work. Should I expect
    that spending another $80 in September to be any different? Not
    expecting an answer, just moaning out loud.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  3. Re: Releases/Mandriva/2008.0/What's New

    On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 02:33:19 +0000, JTJersey wrote:

    > I'm skeptical. I just watched the Compiz Fusion Demonstration video and
    > a lot of those effects are, of course, available in 2007 and 2007.1, but
    > I've never been able to get Gnome to work with them, at least not
    > reliably and I've tried both OS's in the Power Pack versions at $80 a
    > pop. Now this computer was a P4 3.6Gig with 2g of DDRAM and a 256MB
    > nVidia card, so I know it shouldn't be a hardware issue. I even revamped
    > recently to a dual core 3.4Gig with 2g of DDR2 and an nVidia 512Mb card
    > and STILL can't get the 3D effects to work without trashing X. Cripes, I
    > still can't even get my System Sound Effects to work. Should I expect
    > that spending another $80 in September to be any different? Not
    > expecting an answer, just moaning out loud.

    You're telling me you've spend $240 on comercial packes without trying the
    free download version first to see if it meets your needs? I wouldn't
    admit it.:-)

    Hint. Wait and see if the free dl version does what you want before buying.

  4. Re: Releases/Mandriva/2008.0/What's New

    On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 04:59:46 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 02:33:19 +0000, JTJersey wrote:
    >
    >> I'm skeptical. I just watched the Compiz Fusion Demonstration video
    >> and a lot of those effects are, of course, available in 2007 and
    >> 2007.1, but I've never been able to get Gnome to work with them, at
    >> least not reliably and I've tried both OS's in the Power Pack versions
    >> at $80 a pop. Now this computer was a P4 3.6Gig with 2g of DDRAM and a
    >> 256MB nVidia card, so I know it shouldn't be a hardware issue. I even
    >> revamped recently to a dual core 3.4Gig with 2g of DDR2 and an nVidia
    >> 512Mb card and STILL can't get the 3D effects to work without trashing
    >> X. Cripes, I still can't even get my System Sound Effects to work.
    >> Should I expect that spending another $80 in September to be any
    >> different? Not expecting an answer, just moaning out loud.

    > You're telling me you've spend $240 on comercial packes without trying
    > the free download version first to see if it meets your needs? I
    > wouldn't admit it.:-)
    >
    > Hint. Wait and see if the free dl version does what you want before
    > buying.

    $152.00 actually. I believe 2007 and 2007 Spring were $76 each for a
    download. Been through all the free ones except for Mandrake 8.0.
    Bought that at Best Buy in 2001. Couldn't get Sound Events to work in
    that either. Oddly enough 9.0 through 10 worked fine for me. Bought
    2007 to get all the proprietary stuff that doesn't come with the free
    downloads because I got too lazy to go look for them as I needed.
    Besides, somebodies got to keep them in business, I guess.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  5. Re: Releases/Mandriva/2008.0/What's New

    JTJersey wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 04:59:46 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 02:33:19 +0000, JTJersey wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm skeptical. I just watched the Compiz Fusion Demonstration video
    >>> and a lot of those effects are, of course, available in 2007 and
    >>> 2007.1, but I've never been able to get Gnome to work with them, at
    >>> least not reliably and I've tried both OS's in the Power Pack versions
    >>> at $80 a pop. Now this computer was a P4 3.6Gig with 2g of DDRAM and a
    >>> 256MB nVidia card, so I know it shouldn't be a hardware issue. I even
    >>> revamped recently to a dual core 3.4Gig with 2g of DDR2 and an nVidia
    >>> 512Mb card and STILL can't get the 3D effects to work without trashing
    >>> X. Cripes, I still can't even get my System Sound Effects to work.
    >>> Should I expect that spending another $80 in September to be any
    >>> different? Not expecting an answer, just moaning out loud.

    >> You're telling me you've spend $240 on comercial packes without trying
    >> the free download version first to see if it meets your needs? I
    >> wouldn't admit it.:-)
    >>
    >> Hint. Wait and see if the free dl version does what you want before
    >> buying.
    >>

    > $152.00 actually. I believe 2007 and 2007 Spring were $76 each for a
    > download. Been through all the free ones except for Mandrake 8.0.
    > Bought that at Best Buy in 2001. Couldn't get Sound Events to work in
    > that either. Oddly enough 9.0 through 10 worked fine for me. Bought
    > 2007 to get all the proprietary stuff that doesn't come with the free
    > downloads because I got too lazy to go look for them as I needed.
    > Besides, somebodies got to keep them in business, I guess.

    I am still getting the bugs out of Spring. *This time, I won't be rushing
    in, but waiting until it settles down a bit. *For me, 3D effects are not a
    reason to prefer any distro over another. *I never use them.

    I haven't looked hard, but all that seems to be available locally is free
    versions, where I pay only for the burning and distribution.

    Doug.
    Registered Linux User as well.
    --
    Experience is not what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to
    you.

+ Reply to Thread