Steam how to unblock ports - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Steam how to unblock ports - Mandriva ; Hi Everyone, Running Mandriva 2007.1 Spring. What is an easy way to open particular UDP ports and TCP ports that the Steam program uses? Thanks Synergy...

  1. Steam how to unblock ports

    Hi Everyone,

    Running Mandriva 2007.1 Spring.

    What is an easy way to open particular UDP ports and TCP ports that the
    Steam program uses?

    Thanks
    Synergy

  2. Re: Steam how to unblock ports

    On 11 Jul 2007 10:21:14 GMT, Synergy wrote:

    > Hi Everyone,

    Hi yourself.

    > Running Mandriva 2007.1 Spring.
    >
    > What is an easy way to open particular UDP ports and TCP ports that the
    > Steam program uses?

    Define easy.

    Easy for me is, click up a terminal
    su - root
    kwrite /etc/shorewall/rules
    Scroll to bottom of the header documentation and add my rule to
    open a port.
    save/quit
    shorewall restart

    Now if you have not wrapped your head around the shorewall documentation,
    it might be easier for you to install webmin, put
    https://localhost:10000 in your browser,
    add your Steam rules to shorewall's rules file, and apply change.

    In either case, you need to know the port numbers you want to open.

  3. Re: Steam how to unblock ports

    Quoth Bit Twister :

    > On 11 Jul 2007 10:21:14 GMT, Synergy wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi Everyone,

    > Hi yourself.
    >
    >> Running Mandriva 2007.1 Spring.
    >>
    >> What is an easy way to open particular UDP ports and TCP ports that the
    >> Steam program uses?

    > Define easy.
    >
    > Easy for me is, click up a terminal
    > su - root
    > kwrite /etc/shorewall/rules
    > Scroll to bottom of the header documentation and add my rule to
    > open a port.
    > save/quit
    > shorewall restart
    >
    > Now if you have not wrapped your head around the shorewall documentation,
    > it might be easier for you to install webmin, put
    > https://localhost:10000 in your browser,
    > add your Steam rules to shorewall's rules file, and apply change.

    My opinion... Order of "easiness":

    1) Mandriva Control Center (mcc, configure your computer)-> Security->
    Firewall-> Advanced

    2) Webmin (if it's installed).

    3) Direct editing shorewall's rules file.

    > In either case, you need to know the port numbers you want to open.

    This still holds true.

    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  4. Re: Steam how to unblock ports

    Big Yellow Hats wrote:

    > Quoth Bit Twister :
    >
    >> On 11 Jul 2007 10:21:14 GMT, Synergy wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Hi Everyone,

    >> Hi yourself.
    >>
    >>> Running Mandriva 2007.1 Spring.
    >>>
    >>> What is an easy way to open particular UDP ports and TCP ports that the
    >>> Steam program uses?

    >> Define easy.
    >>
    >> Easy for me is, click up a terminal
    >> su - root
    >> kwrite /etc/shorewall/rules
    >> Scroll to bottom of the header documentation and add my rule to
    >> open a port.
    >> save/quit
    >> shorewall restart
    >>
    >> Now if you have not wrapped your head around the shorewall documentation,
    >> it might be easier for you to install webmin, put
    >> https://localhost:10000 in your browser,
    >> add your Steam rules to shorewall's rules file, and apply change.
    >>

    > My opinion... Order of "easiness":
    >
    > 1) Mandriva Control Center (mcc, configure your computer)-> Security->
    > Firewall-> Advanced
    >
    > 2) Webmin (if it's installed).
    >
    > 3) Direct editing shorewall's rules file.
    >
    >> In either case, you need to know the port numbers you want to open.

    > This still holds true.

    Once you know which ports, if you have the Mandriva firewall (Option 1,) add
    them in the dialog at the bottom. I have no idea about TCP or UDP, so my
    practice is to add both, unless I am instructed differently (e.g. Atlantik
    uses TCP only.)

    Doug.
    --
    Who does the best his circumstance allows,
    Does well, acts nobly; angels could no more.

  5. Re: Steam how to unblock ports

    On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 09:24:49 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Once you know which ports, if you have the Mandriva firewall (Option 1,) add
    > them in the dialog at the bottom. I have no idea about TCP or UDP, so my
    > practice is to add both, unless I am instructed differently (e.g. Atlantik
    > uses TCP only.)

    I find doing a
    tail -f /var/log/messages
    and trying the service will get you a shorewall entry if shorewall blocks it.

+ Reply to Thread