root seems to use a lot of cpu cycles? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on root seems to use a lot of cpu cycles? - Mandriva ; I've noticed that since I've been using Mandriva 2007.1, GKrellm shows something using 20 or 30% of my cpu all the time. Doing "top" in a terminal indicates root as the culprit. What would root be doing? Seems to do ...

  1. root seems to use a lot of cpu cycles?

    I've noticed that since I've been using Mandriva 2007.1, GKrellm shows
    something using 20 or 30% of my cpu all the time. Doing "top" in a
    terminal indicates root as the culprit. What would root be doing? Seems
    to do it all the time, even when the system has been idle for long
    periods. Is this normal?

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  2. Re: root seems to use a lot of cpu cycles?

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 18:09:32 +0000, JTJersey wrote:

    > I've noticed that since I've been using Mandriva 2007.1, GKrellm shows
    > something using 20 or 30% of my cpu all the time. Doing "top" in a
    > terminal indicates root as the culprit. What would root be doing? Seems
    > to do it all the time, even when the system has been idle for long
    > periods. Is this normal?

    What app is root running when you look at it with top? Kill it?

  3. Re: root seems to use a lot of cpu cycles?

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 19:41:30 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 18:09:32 +0000, JTJersey wrote:
    >
    >> I've noticed that since I've been using Mandriva 2007.1, GKrellm shows
    >> something using 20 or 30% of my cpu all the time. Doing "top" in a
    >> terminal indicates root as the culprit. What would root be doing?
    >> Seems to do it all the time, even when the system has been idle for
    >> long periods. Is this normal?

    > What app is root running when you look at it with top? Kill it?

    I have gkrellm blinking on and off between .5 and 1%, amarok in the
    taskbar on and off at 1%. Now I'm seeing X fluctuating between 16 and
    26%. I don't see root listed at all at the moment. Hmmmmm.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

+ Reply to Thread