Scanner? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Scanner? - Mandriva ; On and off for 2-3 weeks now I've search for a USB scanner which will work on my Mandriva 2007.0 system. I've done google searches, looked at the SANE database, and sites like LinuxCompatible.org, and I find a number of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Scanner?

    On and off for 2-3 weeks now I've search for a USB scanner
    which will work on my Mandriva 2007.0 system. I've done
    google searches, looked at the SANE database, and sites like
    LinuxCompatible.org, and I find a number of scanners which will
    work just fine. Then I search the web for reviews of scanners
    and narrow down my search a bit, maybe to 5-6 scanners each time
    I search. Then I try to find some place to buy one of those
    scanners. At that point I turn up with zero scanners. Are there
    any scanners which are still available for retail purchase which
    work with Linux? I expect that this is just an issue with newer
    models being introduced so fast that they're obsolete by the time
    that anyone reviews one.

    I really want to find a flatbed scanner with at least 600dpi
    resolution, 2400dpi would be preferred. Legal size documents and
    film scanning is desired.

    FWIW, the Mandriva hardware compatibility database lists zero
    scanners.

    Help please?

    Thanks....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  2. Re: Scanner?

    On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 18:49:29 +0000, Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > On and off for 2-3 weeks now I've search for a USB scanner
    > which will work on my Mandriva 2007.0 system. I've done
    > google searches, looked at the SANE database, and sites like
    > LinuxCompatible.org, and I find a number of scanners which will
    > work just fine. Then I search the web for reviews of scanners
    > and narrow down my search a bit, maybe to 5-6 scanners each time
    > I search. Then I try to find some place to buy one of those
    > scanners. At that point I turn up with zero scanners. Are there
    > any scanners which are still available for retail purchase which
    > work with Linux? I expect that this is just an issue with newer
    > models being introduced so fast that they're obsolete by the time
    > that anyone reviews one.
    >
    > I really want to find a flatbed scanner with at least 600dpi
    > resolution, 2400dpi would be preferred. Legal size documents and
    > film scanning is desired.

    Suggest you check avasys.jp for compatibility of various Epson models.
    I've done extremely well via the Epson online store.

    > FWIW, the Mandriva hardware compatibility database lists zero
    > scanners.
    >
    > Help please?
    >
    > Thanks....

  3. Re: Scanner?

    >> On and off for 2-3 weeks now I've search for a USB scanner
    >> which will work on my Mandriva 2007.0 system. I've done
    >> google searches, looked at the SANE database, and sites like
    >> LinuxCompatible.org, and I find a number of scanners which will
    >> work just fine. Then I search the web for reviews of scanners
    >> and narrow down my search a bit, maybe to 5-6 scanners each time
    >> I search. Then I try to find some place to buy one of those
    >> scanners. At that point I turn up with zero scanners. Are there
    >> any scanners which are still available for retail purchase which
    >> work with Linux? I expect that this is just an issue with newer
    >> models being introduced so fast that they're obsolete by the time
    >> that anyone reviews one.
    >>
    >> I really want to find a flatbed scanner with at least 600dpi
    >> resolution, 2400dpi would be preferred. Legal size documents and
    >> film scanning is desired.

    > Suggest you check avasys.jp for compatibility of various Epson models.
    > I've done extremely well via the Epson online store.
    >

    >> FWIW, the Mandriva hardware compatibility database lists zero
    >> scanners.
    >>
    >> Help please?

    It is really an 'oldy' but my SSCI HP Scanjet 4C scanner has worked
    with Linux since I entered the Linux world with MDV10.0 ,later with
    SLED10 and now with MDV2007.1 using Xsane.
    It is likely that any SSCI scanner will work with Linux.

    Frank

  4. Re: Scanner?

    On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 13:15:58 -0600, ray wrote:

    > On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 18:49:29 +0000, Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    >
    >> On and off for 2-3 weeks now I've search for a USB scanner which will
    >> work on my Mandriva 2007.0 system. I've done google searches, looked
    >> at the SANE database, and sites like LinuxCompatible.org, and I find a
    >> number of scanners which will work just fine. Then I search the web
    >> for reviews of scanners and narrow down my search a bit, maybe to 5-6
    >> scanners each time I search. Then I try to find some place to buy one
    >> of those scanners. At that point I turn up with zero scanners. Are
    >> there any scanners which are still available for retail purchase which
    >> work with Linux? I expect that this is just an issue with newer models
    >> being introduced so fast that they're obsolete by the time that anyone
    >> reviews one.
    >>
    >> I really want to find a flatbed scanner with at least 600dpi
    >> resolution, 2400dpi would be preferred. Legal size documents and film
    >> scanning is desired.

    > Suggest you check avasys.jp for compatibility of various Epson models.
    > I've done extremely well via the Epson online store.
    >

    >> FWIW, the Mandriva hardware compatibility database lists zero scanners.
    >>
    >> Help please?
    >>
    >> Thanks....

    Second the Epson recomendation.I've got an Epson 3490 that works great in
    every distro I've tried it in.Just have to copy the firmware file from
    the install disc and add a line to a .conf file and works with Gimp,Open
    Office,XSane,whatever.
    p.s.don't know how much film scanning you need to do,the 3490 does 35mm
    neg strips one strip at a time.the higher models(4490etc.)do better as
    far as speed.

    Dave

    --
    newly registered Linux user : #444770

  5. Re: Scanner?

    Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > On and off for 2-3 weeks now I've search for a USB scanner
    > which will work on my Mandriva 2007.0 system. I've done
    > google searches, looked at the SANE database, and sites like
    > LinuxCompatible.org, and I find a number of scanners which will
    > work just fine. Then I search the web for reviews of scanners
    > and narrow down my search a bit, maybe to 5-6 scanners each time
    > I search. Then I try to find some place to buy one of those
    > scanners. At that point I turn up with zero scanners. Are there
    > any scanners which are still available for retail purchase which
    > work with Linux? I expect that this is just an issue with newer
    > models being introduced so fast that they're obsolete by the time
    > that anyone reviews one.
    >
    > I really want to find a flatbed scanner with at least 600dpi
    > resolution, 2400dpi would be preferred. Legal size documents and
    > film scanning is desired.
    >
    > FWIW, the Mandriva hardware compatibility database lists zero
    > scanners.
    >
    > Help please?
    >
    > Thanks....

    I use Vuescan (http://www.hamrick.com/) which runs very nicely on
    Mandriva 2007.1 (i586) and other versions back to 2004.

    It costs $$$, but I think it's well worth it.

    Mark Atherton

  6. Re: Scanner?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]
    Highland Ham staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >>> I've [searched] for a USB scanner which will work on my Mandriva
    >>> 2007.0 system.

    >> Suggest you check avasys.jp for compatibility of various Epson
    >> models. I've done extremely well via the Epson online store.

    AOL. Epson 3490 = fine, though you need to get evil binary-only
    firmware for it.

    >>> I really want to find a flatbed scanner with at least 600dpi
    >>> resolution, 2400dpi would be preferred. Legal size documents and
    >>> film scanning is desired.

    Legal size? Gonna cost more. Many scanners have film adapters now.
    Scanning at 2400 DPI takes a long time with an Epson 3490 and the images
    returned are so huge they're difficult to work with (unless you're
    scanning slides/film, not 8.5x14" paper.)

    >>> FWIW, the Mandriva hardware compatibility database lists zero
    >>> scanners.

    Then it's not a very good list, is it?

    > It is likely that any [SCSI] scanner will work with Linux.

    Is anyone still making SCSI scanners? USB2/Firewire is the new hotness
    for obvious reasons, and the OP said that he wants something in USB.

    --
    "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"
    "Now do you understand why you shouldn't tease the Daleks, Beaver?"

  7. Re: Scanner?

    On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 14:49:29 -0400, Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > I really want to find a flatbed scanner with at least 600dpi
    > resolution, 2400dpi would be preferred. Legal size documents and
    > film scanning is desired.

    I'm using a Canon Pixma MP150 usb scanner/printer. Works fine with
    xsane, for scanning up to 1200 dpi. The printer works with cups after
    installing gutenprint-5.0.0.99.1-2lsb3.1.i486.rpm, up to 600 dpi.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  8. Re: Scanner?

    On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 18:49:29 +0000, Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > I really want to find a flatbed scanner with at least 600dpi
    > resolution, 2400dpi would be preferred. Legal size documents and
    > film scanning is desired.

    If you don't mind a multifunction device. This shpould work for you.

    http://www.brother-usa.com/mfc/Model...ctID=MFC5460CN

    And Linux drivers are here. They may come on the CD too. Never looked.

    http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/

  9. Re: Scanner?

    Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > On and off for 2-3 weeks now I've search for a USB scanner
    > which will work on my Mandriva 2007.0 system. I've done

    i recently bought a refurbished epson 4870 perfection photo scanner from the
    epson clearance center:
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/B...yes&oid=-13268

    under linux (gentoo), i connect it via usb and use it with the epson avasys
    front-end: http://avasys.jp/hp/menu000000500/hpg000000442.htm

    for scanning slides and prints. the driver and the scanner both work very well.

    i also own a nikon coolscan ii (scsi) and formerly used an hp scanjet iic (scsi)
    for this work; usb is definitely more convenient in terms of hardware
    compatibility and cabling.

    hth
    --sean

    --
    sean dreilinger - http://durak.org/sean/

  10. Re: Scanner?

    ray wrote:
    > Suggest you check avasys.jp for compatibility of various Epson models.
    > I've done extremely well via the Epson online store.

    My Japanese skills are nonexistent. But, your link brought me to
    http://avasys.jp/hp/menu000000900/hpg000000859.htm which brought me to
    http://avasys.jp/ct/other000000300/iscan_oslist.pdf which lists a number
    of scanners. The supported Mandriva distributions are quite stale, but
    at least I get the idea. They do support more recent versions of SuSE,
    and maybe that's promissing for Mandriva too?

    Thanks....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  11. Re: Scanner?

    Highland Ham wrote:
    > It is really an 'oldy' but my SSCI HP Scanjet 4C scanner has worked
    > with Linux since I entered the Linux world with MDV10.0 ,later with
    > SLED10 and now with MDV2007.1 using Xsane.
    > It is likely that any SSCI scanner will work with Linux.

    Since upgrading to Mandriva 2007 (and going back to whatever version
    moved to udev from devfs) my SCSI stuff is broken. Even when the OS
    recognizes a device, e.g. my SCSI burner, it won't talk to it.

    Sigh....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  12. Re: Scanner?

    Dave wrote:
    > Second the Epson recomendation.I've got an Epson 3490 that works great in
    > every distro I've tried it in.Just have to copy the firmware file from
    > the install disc and add a line to a .conf file and works with Gimp,Open
    > Office,XSane,whatever.

    Maybe I'll have to look for a used one.

    > p.s.don't know how much film scanning you need to do,the 3490 does 35mm
    > neg strips one strip at a time.the higher models(4490etc.)do better as
    > far as speed.

    I don't scan film much. I just want to be able to.

    Thanks....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  13. Re: Scanner?

    Mark Atherton wrote:
    > I use Vuescan (http://www.hamrick.com/) which runs very nicely on
    > Mandriva 2007.1 (i586) and other versions back to 2004.
    >
    > It costs $$$, but I think it's well worth it.

    $40US is a low price for software. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  14. Re: Scanner?

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 14:49:29 -0400, Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    >
    > > I really want to find a flatbed scanner with at least 600dpi
    > > resolution, 2400dpi would be preferred. Legal size documents and
    > > film scanning is desired.

    > I'm using a Canon Pixma MP150 usb scanner/printer. Works fine with
    > xsane, for scanning up to 1200 dpi. The printer works with cups after
    > installing gutenprint-5.0.0.99.1-2lsb3.1.i486.rpm, up to 600 dpi.

    I'll consider that. But, I already have 3 printers and don't really
    need another one.

    Thanks!

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  15. Re: Scanner?

    Dave wrote:
    >> On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 18:49:29 +0000, Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    >>> I really want to find a flatbed scanner with at least 600dpi
    >>> resolution, 2400dpi would be preferred. Legal size documents and film
    >>> scanning is desired.

    >> Suggest you check avasys.jp for compatibility of various Epson models.
    >> I've done extremely well via the Epson online store.

    > Second the Epson recomendation.I've got an Epson 3490 that works great in
    > every distro I've tried it in.Just have to copy the firmware file from
    > the install disc and add a line to a .conf file and works with Gimp,Open
    > Office,XSane,whatever.
    > p.s.don't know how much film scanning you need to do,the 3490 does 35mm
    > neg strips one strip at a time.the higher models(4490etc.)do better as
    > far as speed.

    Thanks, Kevin and everybody! This is one of those questions that I was
    eventually going to ask, just hadn't gotten around to it yet. I'm also
    looking for a USB scanner, 2400 dpi. Only difference is that for me, I
    don't need legal-size documents (8.5"x14"), but MUST be able to scan
    strips of 35mm negatives and mounted 35mm slides (2"x2"). It sounds
    like I might as well decide on Epson, and then see which of their
    current models seems best for me. Or does anyone have any better ideas?
    Thanks in advance!

    Adam (who grew up across the street from a drummer named Kevin!)

  16. Re: Scanner?

    Adam wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    >>> Suggest you check avasys.jp for compatibility of various Epson
    >>> models. I've done extremely well via the Epson online store.

    >> Second the Epson recomendation.I've got an Epson 3490 that works
    >> great in every distro I've tried it in.Just have to copy the firmware
    >> file from the install disc and add a line to a .conf file and works
    >> with Gimp,Open Office,XSane,whatever. p.s.don't know how much film
    >> scanning you need to do,the 3490 does 35mm neg strips one strip at a
    >> time.the higher models(4490etc.)do better as far as speed.

    > Thanks, Kevin and everybody! This is one of those questions that I
    > was eventually going to ask, just hadn't gotten around to it yet. I'm
    > also looking for a USB scanner, 2400 dpi. Only difference is that for
    > me, I don't need legal-size documents (8.5"x14"), but MUST be able to
    > scan strips of 35mm negatives and mounted 35mm slides (2"x2"). It
    > sounds like I might as well decide on Epson, and then see which of
    > their current models seems best for me. Or does anyone have any
    > better ideas? Thanks in advance!

    I'm using an Epson Perfection V100 Photo. $100 at Fry's. Slide and neg
    carrier and backlight. 48-bit color. Box claims "Maximum Hardware
    Resolution 3200 x 9600". Got drivers from avasys (I think that was the
    site) and SANE picked up the scanner on the first try. Mandriva 2006.0.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  17. Re: Scanner?

    On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 22:25:30 +0000, Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> Suggest you check avasys.jp for compatibility of various Epson models.
    >> I've done extremely well via the Epson online store.

    > My Japanese skills are nonexistent. But, your link brought me to
    > http://avasys.jp/hp/menu000000900/hpg000000859.htm which brought me to
    > http://avasys.jp/ct/other000000300/iscan_oslist.pdf which lists a number
    > of scanners. The supported Mandriva distributions are quite stale, but
    > at least I get the idea. They do support more recent versions of SuSE,
    > and maybe that's promissing for Mandriva too?
    >
    > Thanks....

    Sorry, try avasys.jp/eng or /english or something like that - they do have
    an english page. I've been using it on latest ubuntu without any issue.
    Just be sure to get the proper file(s) - some of the setups require a
    driver plugin as well as the iscan download.

  18. Re: Scanner?

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > I'm using an Epson Perfection V100 Photo. $100 at Fry's. Slide and neg
    > carrier and backlight. 48-bit color. Box claims "Maximum Hardware
    > Resolution 3200 x 9600". Got drivers from avasys (I think that was the
    > site) and SANE picked up the scanner on the first try. Mandriva 2006.0.

    I also have the Epson Perfection 100 Photo. Mandriva 2007.0. I think I
    had to force an rpm installation,
    but thereafter no problems.

  19. Re: Scanner?

    Grimble wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >

    >> I'm using an Epson Perfection V100 Photo. $100 at Fry's. Slide and neg
    >> carrier and backlight. 48-bit color. Box claims "Maximum Hardware
    >> Resolution 3200 x 9600". Got drivers from avasys (I think that was the
    >> site) and SANE picked up the scanner on the first try. Mandriva 2006.0.
    >>

    > I also have the Epson Perfection 100 Photo. Mandriva 2007.0. I think I
    > had to force an rpm installation,
    > but thereafter no problems.

    Force an rpm installation of what?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  20. Re: Scanner?

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Grimble wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm using an Epson Perfection V100 Photo. $100 at Fry's. Slide and neg
    >>> carrier and backlight. 48-bit color. Box claims "Maximum Hardware
    >>> Resolution 3200 x 9600". Got drivers from avasys (I think that was the
    >>> site) and SANE picked up the scanner on the first try. Mandriva 2006.0.
    >>>

    >> I also have the Epson Perfection 100 Photo. Mandriva 2007.0. I think I
    >> had to force an rpm installation,
    >> but thereafter no problems.

    > Force an rpm installation of what?

    It was the iscan rpm, downloaded from the avasys.jp/english site.
    There was some posting about this on the Mandrake newsgroup, 29/30
    March, when you reported your purchase of
    the Perfection 100.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast