Irony of Linux Friendly Wireless Devices - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Irony of Linux Friendly Wireless Devices - Mandriva ; Just bought a cheap Wireless PCI device from edimax. This uses the RT61 device which has Linux drivers. Yippee. Dug out my old Broadcom Card - which was playing up anyway. but I found the RaLink drivers didnt compile. Got ...

  1. Irony of Linux Friendly Wireless Devices

    Just bought a cheap Wireless PCI device from edimax. This uses the RT61
    device which has Linux drivers. Yippee. Dug out my old Broadcom Card -
    which was playing up anyway.

    but I found the RaLink drivers didnt compile.

    Got the opensource version from 'Serial Monkey'. - rt2x00. The
    'make install' didnt work and indeed wiped out my Nvidia module.

    Also the WPA Interface uses iwpriv and not wpa_supplicant so that's another mess
    waiting to happen when I want to roam (PC is in one place but many
    networks)..

    Simples option was to go back use ndiswrapper!

    But now a new kernel is upon us 2.6.22,
    http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_22
    and hopefully the new wireless stack will soon support my rt2x00 module
    right off the bat in another release or two.

    PS this reminded me of the last time I bought a device with Linux
    ready drives. A PCI ADSL card.
    Blimey my old web page on that episode is still up
    http://members.tripod.com/alord/pciadsl/pciadsl.html

    Lordy

  2. Re: Irony of Linux Friendly Wireless Devices

    On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 12:43:56 +0000, lordy wrote:

    > Just bought a cheap Wireless PCI device from edimax. This uses the RT61
    > device which has Linux drivers. Yippee. Dug out my old Broadcom Card -
    > which was playing up anyway.
    >
    > but I found the RaLink drivers didnt compile.
    >
    > Got the opensource version from 'Serial Monkey'. - rt2x00. The
    > 'make install' didnt work and indeed wiped out my Nvidia module.
    >
    > Also the WPA Interface uses iwpriv and not wpa_supplicant so that's another mess
    > waiting to happen when I want to roam (PC is in one place but many
    > networks)..
    >
    > Simples option was to go back use ndiswrapper!
    >
    > But now a new kernel is upon us 2.6.22,
    > http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_22
    > and hopefully the new wireless stack will soon support my rt2x00 module
    > right off the bat in another release or two.
    >
    > PS this reminded me of the last time I bought a device with Linux
    > ready drives. A PCI ADSL card.
    > Blimey my old web page on that episode is still up
    > http://members.tripod.com/alord/pciadsl/pciadsl.html
    >
    > Lordy

    I've used a Dlink WMA2330 card (Atheros chipset). It works out of the box
    with Ubuntu using mad-wifi.

  3. Re: Irony of Linux Friendly Wireless Devices

    On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 10:07:36 -0600, ray wrote:

    > I've used a Dlink WMA2330 card (Atheros chipset). It works out of the
    > box with Ubuntu using mad-wifi.

    Ms Penguin here, the word here gentle reader is Atheros. I have chatted
    many a Petrabtye or so, thru the atmosphere of this planet with many
    people.

    Look the others do not have the fish supply that Atheros does. So why
    fish anywhere else?

    Footnote. Why Mad Wifi was called this evades me. Anyhow, I am off to
    catch some more fish.

+ Reply to Thread