no gui with mandriva 2007 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on no gui with mandriva 2007 - Mandriva ; Hi, I just installed the free mandriva 2007; it was a clean install with formatted partitions. I opted for the KDE wm. I was not prompted to enter an ID or password. Now when linux is booted I get a ...

  1. no gui with mandriva 2007

    Hi, I just installed the free mandriva 2007; it was a clean install with
    formatted partitions. I opted for the KDE wm. I was not prompted to
    enter an ID or password. Now when linux is booted I get a black screen
    with the following:

    Mandriva Linux release 2007.0(official)for i586
    Kernel 2.6.17-5mdv on an i686 / tty1
    localhost login:

    What is needed to get to the gui from this point and what is needed to
    automatically get the gui on boot?

    Thanks, George

  2. Re: no gui with mandriva 2007

    john smith wrote:

    > Hi, I just installed the free mandriva 2007; it was a clean install with
    > formatted partitions. I opted for the KDE wm. I was not prompted to
    > enter an ID or password. Now when linux is booted I get a black screen
    > with the following:
    >
    > Mandriva Linux release 2007.0(official)for i586
    > Kernel 2.6.17-5mdv on an i686 / tty1
    > localhost login:

    I'll guess you either went for the "No GUI at startup", or entered "init 3"
    as root.

    > What is needed to get to the gui from this point and what is needed to
    > automatically get the gui on boot?

    I'd give "startx" a go.

    --
    Weblog - http://inbothworlds.wordpress.com/
    R.L.U. #300033 - MDV 2006 - KDE 3.4

  3. Re: no gui with mandriva 2007

    On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 17:07:19 -0400, john smith wrote:

    > Hi, I just installed the free mandriva 2007; it was a clean install with
    > formatted partitions. I opted for the KDE wm. I was not prompted to
    > enter an ID or password. Now when linux is booted I get a black screen
    > with the following:

    Something is seriously wrong, if you were not prompted to create a
    user other than root. I take it you created the userid during the
    install, but are stating, that you're not getting a login menu.

    > Mandriva Linux release 2007.0(official)for i586
    > Kernel 2.6.17-5mdv on an i686 / tty1
    > localhost login:

    That's the normal runlevel 3 login. Enter the userid, then the
    password. Once you've logged on, run "startx" (Note: lowercase).
    If kde is starting ok, go into the Mandriva Control Center,
    Menu button on the bottom left, of the screen, select System,
    Configuration, Configure your computer (Not Control center, that's
    the kde control center, not the Mandriva Control center). Enter
    the root password, when prompted. In the MCC, select Boot, then
    "Enable autologin...", then select "Launch the graphical environment
    when the system starts". Optionally, turn on autologin.

    If kde doesn't start, try running "sudo XFdrake" (Note, upper/lowercase
    is important), and redoing the configuration, for your video card.

    Next time you boot, it should give you a login screen, or boot straight
    into kde, depending on whether or not you select autologin.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins.

  4. Re: no gui with mandriva 2007

    john smith wrote:
    > Hi, I just installed the free mandriva 2007; it was a clean install with
    > formatted partitions. I opted for the KDE wm. I was not prompted to
    > enter an ID or password. Now when linux is booted I get a black screen
    > with the following:
    >
    > Mandriva Linux release 2007.0(official)for i586
    > Kernel 2.6.17-5mdv on an i686 / tty1
    > localhost login:
    >
    > What is needed to get to the gui from this point and what is needed to
    > automatically get the gui on boot?
    >
    > Thanks, George

    Hi John,

    At this early stage, I would suggest a reinstall.
    Do it slowly and think about each move.
    This is good installation practice where familiarity will
    be a benefit for future installs.
    Keep smiling.
    Don.

  5. Re: no gui with mandriva 2007

    on Monday 09 July 2007 07:07
    john smith wrote:

    > Hi, I just installed the free mandriva 2007; it was a clean install with
    > formatted partitions. I opted for the KDE wm. I was not prompted to
    > enter an ID or password.

    Very odd. You weren't excitedly bouncing the Tab and Return
    keys without reading the instructions during installation, were you?

    Did you select an unusually low security level during installation?

    You should have been prompted to enter a password for "root"
    (twice) and then prompted for at least one ordinary user ID
    with password (twice).

    > Now when linux is booted I get a black screen
    > with the following:
    >
    > Mandriva Linux release 2007.0(official)for i586
    > Kernel 2.6.17-5mdv on an i686 / tty1
    > localhost login:

    If you deliberately or accidentally chose not to have a graphical
    log in (or the graphics failed for some reason) that is completely
    normal.

    Log in. If you didn't create any ordinary users then the only
    account that exists will be the root account. Type the user ID
    (such as "root" without the quotes), , the password,
    . If you really didn't give a password during installation
    just try .

    Do you know how to use an editor? Vi, Vim, Emacs, Pico?
    If you don't know what I am writing about, reinstall. Carefully!
    If you do understand, look at /etc/inittab and /var/log/X*

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  6. Re: no gui with mandriva 2007

    On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 17:07:19 -0400, john smith wrote:

    > Hi, I just installed the free mandriva 2007; it was a clean install with
    > formatted partitions. I opted for the KDE wm. I was not prompted to
    > enter an ID or password. Now when linux is booted I get a black screen
    > with the following:
    >
    > Mandriva Linux release 2007.0(official)for i586
    > Kernel 2.6.17-5mdv on an i686 / tty1
    > localhost login:
    >
    > What is needed to get to the gui from this point and what is needed to
    > automatically get the gui on boot?

    Login as a user, then type startx and hit Enter

    If it works (which I doubt), su to root and run drakxconf. Once you get X
    setup with a good screen, then exit root and and try startx again.

    Once you get to the desktop, run MCC and check your startup settings.

  7. Re: no gui with mandriva 2007

    On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 10:38:37 +0930, don wrote:

    > At this early stage, I would suggest a reinstall. Do it slowly and think
    > about each move. This is good installation practice where familiarity
    > will be a benefit for future installs.
    > Keep smiling.

    YES! Get to know the platform one is on.

    Gary Player, the golfer, once said: The more I practice, the lucky I get.

    Yes, to screw/mess up/"fail" at this attempt/etc is human. Get over it!
    Try again.

    And that is an order. :-)

+ Reply to Thread