File manager for ICEWM? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on File manager for ICEWM? - Mandriva ; I've installed 2007.1 on an old laptop for some basic data collection and only had room to install IceWM as the window manager. It looks nothing like what the ICEWM website screenshots, so I'm probably missing some additional software. What ...

  1. File manager for ICEWM?

    I've installed 2007.1 on an old laptop for some basic data collection
    and only had room to install IceWM as the window manager.

    It looks nothing like what the ICEWM website screenshots, so I'm
    probably missing some additional software. What I'm really missing is
    the equivalent for Konqueror. Can some one please give me a name of a
    file manager that I can use with Icewm? Also, is there a basic non-emacs
    editor, similar to kwrite?

    Thanks in advance.

    -Greg

  2. Re: File manager for ICEWM?

    Greg wrote:
    > IceWM as the window manager

    [snip]
    > is there a basic non-emacs editor, similar to kwrite?

    Since you have limited resources with that box, and KWrite is a GUI
    text editor, it seems to me that a non-GUI text editor may be the
    right tool.

    You already stated a preference for non-emacs, and the other main
    non-GUI text editor is vi.

    If you don't yet have basic text editing functionality with vim (vim
    is an acronym for vi improved), then try typing
    vimtutor
    from a shell prompt for an interactive tutorial. It will probably
    only take ten minutes or so to acquire the basics, which is probably
    all most people need.

    The latest Mandriva version for which I have tried the commmand
    vimtutor
    is Mandriva 2006, but it probably still works as expected in newer
    versions of Mandriva.

  3. Re: File manager for ICEWM?

    On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 18:14:05 -0700, Greg wrote:

    > I've installed 2007.1 on an old laptop for some basic data collection
    > and only had room to install IceWM as the window manager.
    >
    > It looks nothing like what the ICEWM website screenshots, so I'm
    > probably missing some additional software. What I'm really missing is
    > the equivalent for Konqueror. Can some one please give me a name of a
    > file manager that I can use with Icewm? Also, is there a basic non-emacs
    > editor, similar to kwrite?

    I use FileRunner mostly, with it's built in editor. Works great as long as
    you don't have files over 2+Gig in the directory. And it doesn't sound
    like you have enough space to have that anyway. There's also x-edit which
    I think is pretty small.

  4. Re: File manager for ICEWM?

    Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 18:14:05 -0700, Greg wrote:
    >
    >> I've installed 2007.1 on an old laptop for some basic data collection
    >> and only had room to install IceWM as the window manager.
    >>
    >> It looks nothing like what the ICEWM website screenshots, so I'm
    >> probably missing some additional software. What I'm really missing is
    >> the equivalent for Konqueror. Can some one please give me a name of a
    >> file manager that I can use with Icewm? Also, is there a basic non-emacs
    >> editor, similar to kwrite?
    >>

    > I use FileRunner mostly, with it's built in editor. Works great as long as
    > you don't have files over 2+Gig in the directory. And it doesn't sound
    > like you have enough space to have that anyway. There's also x-edit which
    > I think is pretty small.

    Try Midnight Commander. It runs in a terminal. It is a file manager with a
    built-in text editor (and a lot more).

    Jim

  5. Re: File manager for ICEWM?

    On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 08:43:49 +0100, James Kerr wrote:

    > Wes Newell wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 18:14:05 -0700, Greg wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've installed 2007.1 on an old laptop for some basic data collection
    >>> and only had room to install IceWM as the window manager.
    >>>
    >>> It looks nothing like what the ICEWM website screenshots, so I'm
    >>> probably missing some additional software. What I'm really missing is
    >>> the equivalent for Konqueror. Can some one please give me a name of a
    >>> file manager that I can use with Icewm? Also, is there a basic non-emacs
    >>> editor, similar to kwrite?
    >>>

    >> I use FileRunner mostly, with it's built in editor. Works great as long as
    >> you don't have files over 2+Gig in the directory. And it doesn't sound
    >> like you have enough space to have that anyway. There's also x-edit which
    >> I think is pretty small.
    >>

    > Try Midnight Commander. It runs in a terminal. It is a file manager with a
    > built-in text editor (and a lot more).

    Yep. I've used it hundreds of times, mostly without X. FileRunner is about
    the same for X. FTP, etc.

  6. Re: File manager for ICEWM?

    On 2007-07-08, Greg wrote:
    > I've installed 2007.1 on an old laptop for some basic data collection
    > and only had room to install IceWM as the window manager.
    >
    > It looks nothing like what the ICEWM website screenshots, so I'm
    > probably missing some additional software. What I'm really missing is
    > the equivalent for Konqueror. Can some one please give me a name of a
    > file manager that I can use with Icewm? Also, is there a basic non-emacs
    > editor, similar to kwrite?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -Greg

    Midnight Commander (mc) runs in a console or terminal emulator, and
    includes a very nice text editor of its own which can also be used
    seperately (mcedit) - I use it as my default text editor for everything,
    including composing usenet articles. Well worth getting to know )

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  7. Re: File manager for ICEWM?

    "Scott B." writes:

    > Greg wrote:
    > > IceWM as the window manager

    > [snip]
    > > is there a basic non-emacs editor, similar to kwrite?

    > Since you have limited resources with that box, and KWrite is a GUI
    > text editor, it seems to me that a non-GUI text editor may be the
    > right tool.
    >
    > You already stated a preference for non-emacs, and the other main
    > non-GUI text editor is vi.
    >
    > If you don't yet have basic text editing functionality with vim (vim
    > is an acronym for vi improved), then try typing
    > vimtutor
    > from a shell prompt for an interactive tutorial. It will probably
    > only take ten minutes or so to acquire the basics, which is probably
    > all most people need.
    >
    > The latest Mandriva version for which I have tried the commmand
    > vimtutor
    > is Mandriva 2006, but it probably still works as expected in newer
    > versions of Mandriva.

    Not to get into the Vi-Emacs wars, but it seems to me that if he's
    looking for something similar to KWrite, he might try NEdit. Vi/Vim
    are even less like KWrite than Emacs. NEdit uses the CUA shortcut key
    system that KWrite does. I used both for a period before I concluded
    Emacs gave me what I wanted, though, frankly, I preferred KWrite over
    NEdit.

    But I agree that if Greg wants something with more features that isn't
    Emacs, he ought to try Vim, especially the new version. If you have
    heavy-duty needs, Emacs and Vi/Vim are the way to go. Use what makes
    your fingers happy.

    --Rod
    ______________________
    Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical
    Consumers" and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." To reply by e-mail
    take the second "o" out of the e-mail address.

  8. Re: File manager for ICEWM?

    roodwriter@ureach.com wrote:

    > Not to get into the Vi-Emacs wars, but it seems to me that if he's
    > looking for something similar to KWrite, he might try NEdit.

    Gvim.

    --
    Weblog - http://inbothworlds.wordpress.com/
    R.L.U. #300033 - MDV 2006 - KDE 3.4

  9. Re: File manager for ICEWM?

    On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 21:37:41 -0700, Scott B. wrote:

    > Greg wrote:
    >> IceWM as the window manager

    > [snip]
    >> is there a basic non-emacs editor, similar to kwrite?

    > Since you have limited resources with that box, and KWrite is a GUI text
    > editor, it seems to me that a non-GUI text editor may be the right tool.
    >
    > You already stated a preference for non-emacs, and the other main
    > non-GUI text editor is vi.

    nano also

  10. Re: File manager for ICEWM?

    On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 19:34:12 +0100, Dave wrote:

    > roodwriter@ureach.com wrote:
    >
    >> Not to get into the Vi-Emacs wars, but it seems to me that if he's
    >> looking for something similar to KWrite, he might try NEdit.

    > Gvim.

    Good grief, Charlie Brown! It never ends, people branching out to make
    things better.

  11. Re: File manager for ICEWM?

    On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 08:43:49 +0100, James Kerr wrote:

    [snip]

    > Try Midnight Commander. It runs in a terminal. It is a file manager with
    > a built-in text editor (and a lot more).

    A classic which has stood the test of time. Do try mc everyone. BTW, it
    has yet to crash for me.

    Heck it runs even when X windows is gone from your machine.

    Yes gentle reader, I still use it often, and admire how useful it is.

    It has some Gee relatives but they seem to have gone over the horizon.

  12. Re: File manager for ICEWM?

    On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 11:12:04 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

    > Midnight Commander (mc) runs in a console or terminal emulator, and
    > includes a very nice text editor of its own which can also be used
    > seperately (mcedit) - I use it as my default text editor for everything,
    > including composing usenet articles. Well worth getting to know )

    So we have three votes for mc.

    It does leave cream on one, does it not Whiskers? ;-) For it is the cream
    of what one may need/use.

  13. Re: File manager for ICEWM?

    On 2007-07-10, Gordon wrote:
    > On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 11:12:04 +0100, Whiskers wrote:
    >

    >> Midnight Commander (mc) runs in a console or terminal emulator, and
    >> includes a very nice text editor of its own which can also be used
    >> seperately (mcedit) - I use it as my default text editor for everything,
    >> including composing usenet articles. Well worth getting to know )

    > So we have three votes for mc.
    >
    > It does leave cream on one, does it not Whiskers? ;-) For it is the cream
    > of what one may need/use.

    Not to be confused with cream-0.36, an attempt to make Vim less
    intimidating )

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  14. Re: File manager for ICEWM?

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 06:30:15 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 08:43:49 +0100, James Kerr wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> Try Midnight Commander. It runs in a terminal. It is a file manager with
    >> a built-in text editor (and a lot more).
    >>

    > A classic which has stood the test of time. Do try mc everyone. BTW, it
    > has yet to crash for me.
    >
    > Heck it runs even when X windows is gone from your machine.
    >
    > Yes gentle reader, I still use it often, and admire how useful it is.
    >
    > It has some Gee relatives but they seem to have gone over the horizon.\

    Shades of the old ms-dos program XTreePro.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630N 117.754195W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org

  15. Re: File manager for ICEWM?

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 08:43:49 +0100, James Kerr wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> Try Midnight Commander. It runs in a terminal. It is a file manager with
    >> a built-in text editor (and a lot more).
    >>

    > A classic which has stood the test of time. Do try mc everyone. BTW, it
    > has yet to crash for me.
    >
    > Heck it runs even when X windows is gone from your machine.
    >
    > Yes gentle reader, I still use it often, and admire how useful it is.
    >
    > It has some Gee relatives but they seem to have gone over the horizon.

    I tried Midnight Commander a couple times after reading
    recommendations for it, but I was disappointed both times. I
    couldn't figure out how to use it.

    I learned how to navigate between directories, delete/copy files,
    etc. from a shell prompt and the basics of text editing using vim (I
    typed vimtutor from a shell prompt) before I heard of Midnight
    Commander, though.

    I gather from many recommendations that Midnight Commander is useful,
    but I haven't needed it, and I am certainly not a Unix wizard.

  16. Re: File manager for ICEWM?

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 21:37:41 -0700, Scott B. wrote:
    >
    >> Greg wrote:
    >>> IceWM as the window manager

    >> [snip]
    >>> is there a basic non-emacs editor, similar to kwrite?

    >> Since you have limited resources with that box, and KWrite is a GUI text
    >> editor, it seems to me that a non-GUI text editor may be the right tool.
    >>
    >> You already stated a preference for non-emacs, and the other main
    >> non-GUI text editor is vi.
    >>

    > nano also

    It is difficult to gauge context given a two word followup, but
    AFAIK, nano (a clone of Pico, which is distributed with Pine) is not
    one of the main non-GUI text editors.

  17. Re: File manager for ICEWM?

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 00:17:47 -0700, Scott B. wrote:

    > I gather from many recommendations that Midnight Commander is useful,
    > but I haven't needed it, and I am certainly not a Unix wizard.

    MC is a piece of crap, generally only used by n00bs and drooling idiots.
    It's mainly for those who thought that the similar Norton product back in
    the DOS days was the ultimate application. If you haven't needed it by
    this point, you never will.

  18. Re: File manager for ICEWM?

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 07:50:04 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 00:17:47 -0700, Scott B. wrote:
    >
    >> I gather from many recommendations that Midnight Commander is useful,
    >> but I haven't needed it, and I am certainly not a Unix wizard.

    > MC is a piece of crap, generally only used by n00bs and drooling idiots.
    > It's mainly for those who thought that the similar Norton product back in
    > the DOS days was the ultimate application. If you haven't needed it by
    > this point, you never will.

    What's MC? Never used that. I have used mcc and mc though.:-)

  19. Re: File manager for ICEWM?

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 17:52:13 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

    >>> I gather from many recommendations that Midnight Commander is useful,
    >>> but I haven't needed it, and I am certainly not a Unix wizard.

    >> MC is a piece of crap, generally only used by n00bs and drooling idiots.
    >> It's mainly for those who thought that the similar Norton product back in
    >> the DOS days was the ultimate application. If you haven't needed it by
    >> this point, you never will.

    > What's MC? Never used that. I have used mcc and mc though.:-)

    Heh. I only capitalized it because the previous poster had written it
    that way, and I didn't want to confuse him...

    It's still a piece of crap.