Two Mandrivas in two hard drives - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Two Mandrivas in two hard drives - Mandriva ; I have Mandrake 10.1 in drive B and Mandriva 2007 in Drive A. Thanks to the help given me by the kind people here, I fixed Mandriva's lilo and now am able to still use some existing apps in 10.1. ...

  1. Two Mandrivas in two hard drives

    I have Mandrake 10.1 in drive B and Mandriva 2007 in Drive A.
    Thanks to the help given me by the kind people here, I fixed
    Mandriva's lilo and now am able to still use some existing apps in
    10.1. On the HW side, Mandriva is 'master' while the HDD containing
    Mandrake is 'slave'.

    Due to some apps I found out that I need the reverse. Drive B also
    contains Windows2k, and I have to use it once in a while. It will not
    boot unless I switch the Master and Slave settings around.

    My lilo.conf in Mandriva is ok as long as it is /dev/hda and Mandrake
    is on /dev/hdb5 (to be exact). Am trying to fix the lilo.conf in
    Mandrake so it knows of a newer kernel ( I have copied over some files
    I deemed were relevant into Mandrake's /boot, but maybe I haven't
    copied enough? vmlinuz-2.6.17-5mdv, initrd.img (but renamed?), and so
    forth) Am I going about it correctly? Running lilo didn't have a fit
    so I thought it was ready. But when I choose that image in lilo, I am
    shown the splash screen but it doesn't seem to move at all, and ESC
    does not show any messages--no response. How do I make linux 'switch
    over' to all the good Mandriva stuff, I can't even tell whether that
    splash is from the old drive or the new one.

  2. Re: Two Mandrivas in two hard drives

    On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 11:11:09 -0700, shedied@gmail.com wrote:

    > Due to some apps I found out that I need the reverse. Drive B also
    > contains Windows2k, and I have to use it once in a while. It will not
    > boot unless I switch the Master and Slave settings around.

    It is quite simple. You strap the drives like you need them.
    You create mount points for both installs, Example:
    You change /etc/fstab to get /hda /hdb to match where the partitions
    are residing.
    mkdir /2007_0 /2007_1
    You then change /etc/lilo.conf's /hda /hdb to match fstab.
    boot rescue cd/dvd
    Chroot to the master drive, mount other install, and run lilo -v to
    write lilo.conf settings into MBR.

    NOTE: You do not have to copy /boot files around.
    I create mount points for the other linux installs.
    I then add the mount points to /etc/lilo.conf for the other installs.

    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="/2007_1"
    root=/dev/sda11 <=========== see 2007.1 on a drive
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="splash=0"
    vga=790
    image=/2007_0/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-8mdv <=== note, using b drive /boot
    label="/2007_0"
    root=/dev/sdb10 <=========== see 2007.0 on b drive
    initrd=/2007_0/boot/initrd-2.6.17-8mdv.img <=== note, using b drive
    append="splash=0"
    vga=790

    $ cat /etc/fstab
    # /n_2007_1
    /dev/sda11 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    /dev/sdb10 /2007_0 ext3 user,noauto,defaults 1 2 <=== 2007.0 b drive

    Looking on my 2007.0 install
    $ cat /2007_0/etc/fstab
    # /n_2007_0
    /dev/sdb10 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    /dev/sda11 /2007_1 ext3 user,noauto,defaults 1 2 <=== 2007.1 a drive

    Now that you see what is going on:
    Create a check list for changes, install/fallback procedure.
    Detailing exactly what to do.
    Verify check list has correct values.
    Verify check list has correct install/fallback steps.

    Follow checklist to make changes.
    Verify check list has correct install/fallback steps.

    If you do the above without fault, it goes pretty easly.
    Skip the above, and install fails, fallback fails, you get to modify
    the files with vi. Unless you have rescue cd which lets you use a gui
    editor. I use a knoppix linux cd as a rescue cd.

    What you might want to do the following on each install.
    mkdir /2007_0 /2007_1
    Add the other release to /etc/fstab and mount it. Then,
    cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab_old
    cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab_new
    Add the other linux install to /etc/lilo.conf
    cp /etc/lilo.conf /etc/lilo.conf_old
    cp /etc/lilo.conf /etc/lilo.conf_new

    make your hda/hdb swaps in the *_new files.
    power down, move drive strappings.
    boot rescue cd/dvd
    mount your drives, and get to a console
    copy fstab_new to fstab
    copy lilo.conf_new to lilo.conf on each drive.
    chroot /whever/hda/mounted
    mount /2007_0 <==== I am assuming 2007.1 is to be default boot
    lilo -v lilo.conf

  3. Re: Two Mandrivas in two hard drives

    shedied@gmail.com writes:

    >I have Mandrake 10.1 in drive B and Mandriva 2007 in Drive A.
    >Thanks to the help given me by the kind people here, I fixed
    >Mandriva's lilo and now am able to still use some existing apps in
    >10.1. On the HW side, Mandriva is 'master' while the HDD containing
    >Mandrake is 'slave'.

    >Due to some apps I found out that I need the reverse. Drive B also
    >contains Windows2k, and I have to use it once in a while. It will not
    >boot unless I switch the Master and Slave settings around.

    You may be able to put something into /etc/lilo.conf telling it to treat
    hdb as C: drive

    Try putting
    boot-as=0x80
    after the other= line for your windows system.
    or just put the
    master-boot
    line after that other= line

    Windows demands to be on drive C:

    >My lilo.conf in Mandriva is ok as long as it is /dev/hda and Mandrake
    >is on /dev/hdb5 (to be exact). Am trying to fix the lilo.conf in
    >Mandrake so it knows of a newer kernel ( I have copied over some files
    >I deemed were relevant into Mandrake's /boot, but maybe I haven't
    >copied enough? vmlinuz-2.6.17-5mdv, initrd.img (but renamed?), and so
    >forth) Am I going about it correctly? Running lilo didn't have a fit
    >so I thought it was ready. But when I choose that image in lilo, I am
    >shown the splash screen but it doesn't seem to move at all, and ESC
    >does not show any messages--no response. How do I make linux 'switch
    >over' to all the good Mandriva stuff, I can't even tell whether that
    >splash is from the old drive or the new one.

  4. Re: Two Mandrivas in two hard drives

    On Jul 7, 7:35 pm, Unruh wrote:
    > shed...@gmail.com writes:
    > >I have Mandrake 10.1 in drive B and Mandriva 2007 in Drive A.
    > >Thanks to the help given me by the kind people here, I fixed
    > >Mandriva's lilo and now am able to still use some existing apps in
    > >10.1. On the HW side, Mandriva is 'master' while the HDD containing
    > >Mandrake is 'slave'.
    > >Due to some apps I found out that I need the reverse. Drive B also
    > >contains Windows2k, and I have to use it once in a while. It will not
    > >boot unless I switch the Master and Slave settings around.

    > You may be able to put something into /etc/lilo.conf telling it to treat
    > hdb as C: drive
    >
    > Try putting
    > boot-as=0x80
    > after the other= line for your windows system.
    > or just put the
    > master-boot
    > line after that other= line
    >
    > Windows demands to be on drive C:

    Thanks for the tips, BitTwister: I was actually going along those
    lines, and all I had to do was follow your tips all the way through
    and now I am able to do a 'triple boot' . You were absolutely right
    that it *IS* simple; I was the one making it complicated. Unruh: I had
    that in the Mandrake 1.10 lilo.conf, thanks for bringing it up (I
    hadn't been messing with it for so long that I almost forgot what
    those lines were for).

    BTW, a 3-inch DamnSmallLinux2.0 pocket CD came in handy. Not that I
    had to do any emergency patching or anything.

+ Reply to Thread