Lost my printer in Mandriva 2007.1 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Lost my printer in Mandriva 2007.1 - Mandriva ; Was trying to set up access to my printer for another computer, but not only did I not succeed I lost my HP 952 Deskjet printer that I've been using for several years. Using Printer Setup Wizard identifies my printer, ...

  1. Lost my printer in Mandriva 2007.1

    Was trying to set up access to my printer for another computer, but not
    only did I not succeed I lost my HP 952 Deskjet printer that I've been
    using for several years. Using Printer Setup Wizard identifies my
    printer, but then I get a message about no appropriate PPD file and to
    check my HPLIP install. Trying through CUPS just results in a hung
    screen that I have to force quite. I really need a solution to this
    one. Thanks.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  2. Re: Lost my printer in Mandriva 2007.1

    JTJersey wrote:
    > Was trying to set up access to my printer for another computer, but not
    > only did I not succeed I lost my HP 952 Deskjet printer that I've been
    > using for several years. Using Printer Setup Wizard identifies my
    > printer, but then I get a message about no appropriate PPD file and to
    > check my HPLIP install. Trying through CUPS just results in a hung
    > screen that I have to force quite. I really need a solution to this
    > one. Thanks.

    Do you have things set up properly in both the printer section of
    Mandriva Linux Control Center (mcc) (under Hardware or System) and
    the printer section of KDE Control Center (under Peripherals).

    Both those, and CUPS, need to be set up properly, and the HP software
    also needs to be properly installed. If you have not rebooted
    since botching access for the other computer, try rebooting and
    see if that cures things. That is when the HP software is loaded.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: Lost my printer in Mandriva 2007.1

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 14:14:07 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    > JTJersey wrote:
    >> Was trying to set up access to my printer for another computer, but not
    >> only did I not succeed I lost my HP 952 Deskjet printer that I've been
    >> using for several years. Using Printer Setup Wizard identifies my
    >> printer, but then I get a message about no appropriate PPD file and to
    >> check my HPLIP install. Trying through CUPS just results in a hung
    >> screen that I have to force quite. I really need a solution to this
    >> one. Thanks.

    > Do you have things set up properly in both the printer section of
    > Mandriva Linux Control Center (mcc) (under Hardware or System) and the
    > printer section of KDE Control Center (under Peripherals).
    >
    > Both those, and CUPS, need to be set up properly, and the HP software
    > also needs to be properly installed. If you have not rebooted since
    > botching access for the other computer, try rebooting and see if that
    > cures things. That is when the HP software is loaded.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    I discovered CUPS wasn't running and it wouldn't allow me to start it in
    System Services. I ended up reinstalling CUPS and and also installed the
    latest HP software for Mandriva 2007.1, then set up the printer. Tried a
    test page through CUPS and it printed properly. Tried to print a simple
    text document and nothing happened. Looking at the printer in CUPS all I
    get is "open device failed; will retry in 30 seconds..." Now it won't
    print from CUPS either. I have rebooted a couple of times during this
    mess and shut down the other Mandriva computer on this network, but I
    can't get past this error message.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  4. Re: Lost my printer in Mandriva 2007.1

    JTJersey wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 14:14:07 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> JTJersey wrote:
    >>> Was trying to set up access to my printer for another computer, but not
    >>> only did I not succeed I lost my HP 952 Deskjet printer that I've been
    >>> using for several years. Using Printer Setup Wizard identifies my
    >>> printer, but then I get a message about no appropriate PPD file and to
    >>> check my HPLIP install. Trying through CUPS just results in a hung
    >>> screen that I have to force quite. I really need a solution to this
    >>> one. Thanks.

    >> Do you have things set up properly in both the printer section of
    >> Mandriva Linux Control Center (mcc) (under Hardware or System) and the
    >> printer section of KDE Control Center (under Peripherals).
    >>
    >> Both those, and CUPS, need to be set up properly, and the HP software
    >> also needs to be properly installed. If you have not rebooted since
    >> botching access for the other computer, try rebooting and see if that
    >> cures things. That is when the HP software is loaded.
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>

    > I discovered CUPS wasn't running and it wouldn't allow me to start it in
    > System Services. I ended up reinstalling CUPS and and also installed the
    > latest HP software for Mandriva 2007.1, then set up the printer. Tried a
    > test page through CUPS and it printed properly. Tried to print a simple
    > text document and nothing happened. Looking at the printer in CUPS all I
    > get is "open device failed; will retry in 30 seconds..." Now it won't
    > print from CUPS either. I have rebooted a couple of times during this
    > mess and shut down the other Mandriva computer on this network, but I
    > can't get past this error message.

    It appears you got things right once, or the test page would not have
    printed.

    How are you "looking at the printer in CUPS"? Are you using the KDE
    control center? The Mandriva Control Center? Or?

    Have you checked for error messages in /var/log/messages /var/log/explanations
    /var/log/cups/error_log? Plus maybe /var/log/boot. You will have to sudo or
    su to root to read these system log files.

    Do you see any error messages regard HP or CUPS or printer when booting?

    Are your connections all good? A lot of time can be spent trouble-shooting
    software when the problem is an intermittent bad connection....

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  5. Re: Lost my printer in Mandriva 2007.1

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 16:17:05 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    > It appears you got things right once, or the test page would not have
    > printed.
    >
    > How are you "looking at the printer in CUPS"? Are you using the KDE
    > control center? The Mandriva Control Center? Or?
    >
    > Have you checked for error messages in /var/log/messages
    > /var/log/explanations /var/log/cups/error_log? Plus maybe
    > /var/log/boot. You will have to sudo or su to root to read these system
    > log files.
    >
    > Do you see any error messages regard HP or CUPS or printer when booting?
    >
    > Are your connections all good? A lot of time can be spent
    > trouble-shooting software when the problem is an intermittent bad
    > connection....

    I'm accessing CUPS through Firefox at localhost:631. I should have
    mentioned that I'm using Gnome, although I've had no luck in KDE either.
    During shutdown and reboot any messages referring to CUPS is marked OK.
    I checked my cables and connections after a shut down and everything
    appears normal. This printer has been working fine since Mandrake 10 and
    was working fine in Mandriva 2007.1 until I screwed it up.

    The var/log/messages just repeats the CUPS message: localhost
    DeskJet_950C?serial=MX1181S00YJP: INFO: open device failed; will retry in
    30 seconds...

    The /var/log/explanations (for my last attempt to print) shows the
    program starting then these messages (I've deleted the date a PID number
    for brevity):

    modified file /etc/sysconfig/printing
    running: /etc/rc.d/init.d/cups status
    running: update-alternatives --display lpr
    symlinked file /usr/bin/lpr-cups to /etc/alternatives/lpr
    running: update-alternatives --display lpq
    symlinked file /usr/bin/lpq-cups to /etc/alternatives/lpq
    running: update-alternatives --display lprm
    symlinked file /usr/bin/lprm-cups to /etc/alternatives/lprm
    running: update-alternatives --display lp
    symlinked file /usr/bin/lp-cups to /etc/alternatives/lp
    running: update-alternatives --display cancel
    symlinked file /usr/bin/cancel-cups to /etc/alternatives/cancel
    running: update-alternatives --display lpstat
    symlinked file /usr/bin/lpstat-cups to /etc/alternatives/lpstat
    running: update-alternatives --display accept
    symlinked file /usr/sbin/accept-cups to /etc/alternatives/accept
    running: update-alternatives --display disable
    symlinked file /usr/sbin/disable-cups to /etc/alternatives/disable
    running: update-alternatives --display enable
    symlinked file /usr/sbin/enable-cups to /etc/alternatives/enable
    running: update-alternatives --display lpc
    symlinked file /usr/sbin/lpc-cups to /etc/alternatives/lpc
    running: update-alternatives --display lpmove
    symlinked file /usr/sbin/lpmove-cups to /etc/alternatives/lpmove
    running: update-alternatives --display reject
    symlinked file /usr/sbin/reject-cups to /etc/alternatives/reject
    running: /sbin/chkconfig --list
    ### Program is exiting ###

    The var/log/cups/error_log just reports my attempts to print and what was
    started and that the job was canceled.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  6. Re: Lost my printer in Mandriva 2007.1

    At this point, I would disable the printer, and then enable it.

    If still no joy, I would remove the printer, and reinstall it.

    Beyond that, I am out of ideas. My Hp 932C works so well I
    have never had to learn to troubleshoot it.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  7. Re: Lost my printer in Mandriva 2007.1

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 18:53:40 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    > At this point, I would disable the printer, and then enable it.
    >
    > If still no joy, I would remove the printer, and reinstall it.
    >
    > Beyond that, I am out of ideas. My Hp 932C works so well I have never
    > had to learn to troubleshoot it.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    OK, I seem to have a printer again
    I deleted the printer through CUPS and rebooted. On boot up a window
    appeared advising me that it found a new printer and asked if it should
    auto install it. I gave it the nod and afterward I successfully printed
    several documents including the CUPS server Printer Page that shows the
    printer info. The HP Printer Toolbox that I had on my desktop no longer
    functions, but everything I need is available through CUPS anyway.
    Keeping my fingers crossed and many thanks for your help and patience.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

+ Reply to Thread