Mandriva Spring 2007 mini - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mandriva Spring 2007 mini - Mandriva ; I am trying out various linux packages that will run on an old dell latitude cpx. I downloaded and tried the Mandriva spring 2007 mini since I can run DVD's on this laptop. It seems to me that everything installed ...

  1. Mandriva Spring 2007 mini

    I am trying out various linux packages that will run on an old dell
    latitude cpx. I downloaded and tried the Mandriva spring 2007 mini
    since I can run DVD's on this laptop. It seems to me that everything
    installed ok, but I can't seem to do anything with it.

    Even tho I ticked off all the options to that I wanted to install, and
    I even ticked off the KDE and Gnome options, I get only the iceWM.
    But when I log in, there's nothing in the menus for me to do. I can't
    add anything, I cant do anything. How do I get all the bells and
    whistles on the desktop?

    Darryl

  2. Re: Mandriva Spring 2007 mini

    dperry wrote:

    > I am trying out various linux packages that will run on an old dell
    > latitude cpx. I downloaded and tried the Mandriva spring 2007 mini
    > since I can run DVD's on this laptop. It seems to me that everything
    > installed ok, but I can't seem to do anything with it.
    >
    > Even tho I ticked off all the options to that I wanted to install, and
    > I even ticked off the KDE and Gnome options, I get only the iceWM.
    > But when I log in, there's nothing in the menus for me to do. I can't
    > add anything, I cant do anything. How do I get all the bells and
    > whistles on the desktop?

    The mini CD includes only the IceWM window manager and very few
    applications. I do the following:

    Menu -> Internet select Dillo (which is a very basic graphical browser).

    Go to this link to set up your media sources:

    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org

    Then in Terminal, as root:

    urpmi drakconf

    This will install MCC. Once you have it installed, use the Software Manager
    to install everything else that you want.

    Jim

  3. Re: Mandriva Spring 2007 mini

    Thanks James, that helped a lot! Only problem is that MCC does not
    have an option for doing new software installations like the old
    mandrake 9.x had.

    I also downloaded firefox and tried to install it. It gave me errors
    that libs were not found. I copied the lib* files into /usr/lib and
    it still didn't work.

    Is there a menu-driven software installer that I don't know about?

    Darryl

    On Jul 2, 2:02 am, James Kerr wrote:
    > dperry wrote:
    > > I am trying out various linux packages that will run on an old dell
    > > latitude cpx. I downloaded and tried the Mandriva spring 2007 mini
    > > since I can run DVD's on this laptop. It seems to me that everything
    > > installed ok, but I can't seem to do anything with it.

    > > Even tho I ticked off all the options to that I wanted to install, and
    > > I even ticked off the KDE and Gnome options, I get only the iceWM.
    > > But when I log in, there's nothing in the menus for me to do. I can't
    > > add anything, I cant do anything. How do I get all the bells and
    > > whistles on the desktop?

    > The mini CD includes only the IceWM window manager and very few
    > applications. I do the following:
    >
    > Menu -> Internet select Dillo (which is a very basic graphical browser).
    >
    > Go to this link to set up your media sources:
    >
    > http://easyurpmi.zarb.org
    >
    > Then in Terminal, as root:
    >
    > urpmi drakconf
    >
    > This will install MCC. Once you have it installed, use the Software Manager
    > to install everything else that you want.
    >
    > Jim

  4. Re: Mandriva Spring 2007 mini

    dperry wrote:

    > Thanks James, that helped a lot! Only problem is that MCC does not
    > have an option for doing new software installations like the old
    > mandrake 9.x had.

    I thought that installing MCC would have also installed rpmdrake, apparently
    not. To get the MCC Software Manager(rpmdrake), in Terminal as root:

    urpmi rpmdrake

    Jim

  5. Re: Mandriva Spring 2007 mini

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 00:52:38 +0000, dperry wrote:

    > I am trying out various linux packages that will run on an old dell
    > latitude cpx. I downloaded and tried the Mandriva spring 2007 mini
    > since I can run DVD's on this laptop. It seems to me that everything
    > installed ok, but I can't seem to do anything with it.
    >
    > Even tho I ticked off all the options to that I wanted to install, and I
    > even ticked off the KDE and Gnome options, I get only the iceWM. But
    > when I log in, there's nothing in the menus for me to do. I can't add
    > anything, I cant do anything. How do I get all the bells and whistles
    > on the desktop?

    This did puzzle me too. KDE and Gnome are not included in the 'mini' ISO,
    despite being listed as options. I guess the idea is that you configure a
    mirror as an additional source during installation and it will fetch the
    appropriate KDE/Gnome files from the mirror during install.

    To add KDE later, use the guide at http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ to set up
    your urpmi sources and then do 'urpmi kdebase'. If you previously
    installed IceWM, you may need to change DESKTOP=IceWM to DESKTOP=KDE in
    ~/.desktop to change the default to KDE.

    The 2007.1 'mini' ISO seems to include both i586 and x86_64 installs with
    autoselection depending on your processor.