Joining club + downloading powerpack = easier install? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Joining club + downloading powerpack = easier install? - Mandriva ; I'm considering joining the Mandriva Club with a standard membership. According to Mandiva's site, this includes a free download of the first 4 CD 's of 2007 Spring Powerpack. One of the benefits to this appears to be the inclusion ...

  1. Joining club + downloading powerpack = easier install?

    I'm considering joining the Mandriva Club with a standard membership.
    According to Mandiva's site, this includes a free download of the first 4
    CD 's of 2007 Spring Powerpack. One of the benefits to this appears to be
    the inclusion of proprietary drivers. My question is, will this result in
    an easier installation with everything "just working"? I've spent a ton
    of hours trying to get both my Nvidia Geoforce 6200 and ivtv configured
    correctly. At this point, I'm willing to pay some just to end the hassle.

    I'm not sure what to expect with the powerpack vs. the free editions of
    Mandriva.

  2. Re: Joining club + downloading powerpack = easier install?

    Flip Wilson wrote:
    > I'm considering joining the Mandriva Club with a standard membership.
    > According to Mandiva's site, this includes a free download of the first 4
    > CD 's of 2007 Spring Powerpack. One of the benefits to this appears to be
    > the inclusion of proprietary drivers. My question is, will this result in
    > an easier installation with everything "just working"? I've spent a ton
    > of hours trying to get both my Nvidia Geoforce 6200 and ivtv configured
    > correctly. At this point, I'm willing to pay some just to end the hassle.
    >
    > I'm not sure what to expect with the powerpack vs. the free editions of
    > Mandriva.

    I installed with the 2007.1 powerpack DVD. All went without a hitch.
    (Microtel 64-bit, nVidia 410 motherboard with two dual-core AMD 5000+
    cpus, a couple of 250 GB sata hard drives, Sony 48X CD/DVD burner, etc)

    Oh, yes. nVidia GeForce 7300 video. Not only did it install perfectly,
    when I upgraded to a new kernel dkms automagically created the new drivers
    needed. I do not use anything resembling tv, so can't help you there.
    YMMV.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: Joining club + downloading powerpack = easier install?

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 08:12:45 -0500, Flip Wilson wrote:

    > I'm considering joining the Mandriva Club with a standard membership.
    > According to Mandiva's site, this includes a free download of the first 4
    > CD 's of 2007 Spring Powerpack. One of the benefits to this appears to be
    > the inclusion of proprietary drivers. My question is, will this result in
    > an easier installation with everything "just working"? I've spent a ton
    > of hours trying to get both my Nvidia Geoforce 6200 and ivtv configured
    > correctly. At this point, I'm willing to pay some just to end the hassle.
    >
    > I'm not sure what to expect with the powerpack vs. the free editions of
    > Mandriva.

    Installing the nvidia drivers is actually quite easy using PLF via urpmi.
    one can also download the latest nvidia driver from nvnews.net, and via
    a console login

    #chmod a+x N
    #sh N

    Ivtv can also be setup via urpmi...powerpack probably won't do it for
    you...the last time I had a copy of one of the powerpack editions I
    still had to setup my haupauge 350 myself... Things may have changed
    but I'm doubtful... then again it's been sometime since I actually did
    a clean install I prefer to upgrade individual peices here and
    there...

  4. Re: Joining club + downloading powerpack = easier install?

    Flip Wilson wrote:

    > I'm considering joining the Mandriva Club with a standard membership.
    > According to Mandiva's site, this includes a free download of the first 4
    > CD 's of 2007 Spring Powerpack.

    To this date there are no CD ISO's for 2007.1 (Spring). They are supposed to
    be available "soon". With a standard membership, you can get the DVD ISO,
    which is available now.

    Jim

  5. Re: Joining club + downloading powerpack = easier install?

    Flip Wilson wrote:
    > I'm considering joining the Mandriva Club with a standard membership.
    > According to Mandiva's site, this includes a free download of the first 4
    > CD 's of 2007 Spring Powerpack. One of the benefits to this appears to be
    > the inclusion of proprietary drivers. My question is, will this result in
    > an easier installation with everything "just working"? I've spent a ton
    > of hours trying to get both my Nvidia Geoforce 6200 and ivtv configured
    > correctly. At this point, I'm willing to pay some just to end the hassle.
    >
    > I'm not sure what to expect with the powerpack vs. the free editions of
    > Mandriva.

    I really like PowerPack and MandrivaClub. I've been a member for years
    now, at the silver level, and I get the "just works" behavior you're
    after.

    Good luck...

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.