Keyboard Driver problem - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Keyboard Driver problem - Mandriva ; Looking for help to solve what appears to be a keyboard driver problem associated with my user account on a laptop: Mandriva 2007.0, updated to about two weeks ago, Nvidia 6100 graphics. After 4 months working, and not directly associated ...

  1. Keyboard Driver problem

    Looking for help to solve what appears to be a keyboard driver problem
    associated with my user account on a laptop:
    Mandriva 2007.0, updated to about two weeks ago, Nvidia 6100 graphics.
    After 4 months working, and not directly associated with the latest
    updates, when I boot into KDE, the keyboard doesn't function in any
    input situation (editors, terminals, password prompt boxes). Either no
    character is generated or a repeat run of a random character appears,
    stopped by hitting random keys. The mouse works for all usual click
    functions except when clicking on the star thing to log out/switch off,
    when there is a lot of flickering and I end up starting the top listed
    application.
    Keyboard works when booting to "Failsafe". There are no (EE) messages in
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log, although there is one (WW), connected with
    XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (kbcomp): ONE-LEVEL has one level but
    has 2 symbols. A subsequent message says that this warning message
    should not be a problem.
    When I then give startx from the command prompt (red screen, very
    dramatic!) keyboard DOES work in Kwrite/Kate, so there appears to be a
    different driver for the root account.
    Have downloaded and installed latest Nvidia drivers without noticeable
    effect.
    What do I do next?
    Thanks

  2. Re: Keyboard Driver problem

    Grimble a écrit :
    > Looking for help to solve what appears to be a keyboard driver problem
    > associated with my user account on a laptop:
    > Mandriva 2007.0, updated to about two weeks ago, Nvidia 6100 graphics.
    > After 4 months working, and not directly associated with the latest
    > updates, when I boot into KDE, the keyboard doesn't function in any
    > input situation (editors, terminals, password prompt boxes). Either no
    > character is generated or a repeat run of a random character appears,
    > stopped by hitting random keys. The mouse works for all usual click
    > functions except when clicking on the star thing to log out/switch off,
    > when there is a lot of flickering and I end up starting the top listed
    > application.
    > Keyboard works when booting to "Failsafe". There are no (EE) messages in
    > /var/log/Xorg.0.log, although there is one (WW), connected with
    > XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (kbcomp): ONE-LEVEL has one level but
    > has 2 symbols. A subsequent message says that this warning message
    > should not be a problem.
    > When I then give startx from the command prompt (red screen, very
    > dramatic!) keyboard DOES work in Kwrite/Kate, so there appears to be a
    > different driver for the root account.
    > Have downloaded and installed latest Nvidia drivers without noticeable
    > effect.
    > What do I do next?
    > Thanks

    This is a re-occuring problem with Mandriva. Try to do this:

    Ctrl-Alt-F1 then Ctrl-Alt-F7

    There are discussions of this on the Mandriva forums. I have also left a
    note on this thread:

    http://forum.club.mandriva.com/viewt...090607d1e4da6c

    Cheers

    Marc

  3. Re: Keyboard Driver problem

    Marc Paré wrote:

    > This is a re-occuring problem with Mandriva. Try to do this:
    >
    > Ctrl-Alt-F1 then Ctrl-Alt-F7
    >
    > There are discussions of this on the Mandriva forums. I have also left a
    > note on this thread:
    >
    > http://forum.club.mandriva.com/viewt...090607d1e4da6c
    >

    > Cheers
    >
    > Marc

    How bizarre - worked a treat! Didn't find the thread when I googled for
    keyboard problems, so thanks for your prompt reply.
    Regards
    Grimble

+ Reply to Thread