propagation problems - Mandriva

This is a discussion on propagation problems - Mandriva ; Hi, There seem to be some propagation problems. I don't know who to blame - let alone how to fix it. There are two different ISPs, two different computers, and a couple of different attempts to configure one of them. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. propagation problems

    Hi,

    There seem to be some propagation problems.

    I don't know who to blame - let alone how to fix it.

    There are two different ISPs, two different computers, and a
    couple of different attempts to configure one of them.

    This message is being sent from Knode via Leafnode, allowing
    Leafnode to generate the message-ID. UTC is 04:44 Sunday.

    Could the first two or three people outside of Australia
    please respond to this message.

    Thank you.

    --
    Peter D.
    Sig goes here...

  2. Re: propagation problems

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:45:47 +1000, Peter D. wrote:

    > Could the first two or three people outside of Australia
    > please respond to this message.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Ack.

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a

  3. Re: propagation problems

    Peter D. wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > There seem to be some propagation problems.
    >
    > I don't know who to blame - let alone how to fix it.
    >
    > There are two different ISPs, two different computers, and a
    > couple of different attempts to configure one of them.
    >
    > This message is being sent from Knode via Leafnode, allowing
    > Leafnode to generate the message-ID. UTC is 04:44 Sunday.
    >
    > Could the first two or three people outside of Australia
    > please respond to this message.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Los Angeles

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  4. Re: propagation problems

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 00:45:47 -0400, Peter D. wrote:

    > Could the first two or three people outside of Australia
    > please respond to this message.

    London, Ontario, Canada

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: propagation problems

    On 2007-07-01, Peter D. wrote:
    > Subject: propagation problems
    > From: "Peter D."
    > Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:45:47 +1000
    > Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mandriva
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > There seem to be some propagation problems.
    >
    > I don't know who to blame - let alone how to fix it.
    >
    > There are two different ISPs, two different computers, and a
    > couple of different attempts to configure one of them.
    >
    > This message is being sent from Knode via Leafnode, allowing
    > Leafnode to generate the message-ID. UTC is 04:44 Sunday.
    >
    > Could the first two or three people outside of Australia
    > please respond to this message.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >

    > --
    > Peter D.
    > Sig goes here...

    this one escaped )

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  6. Re: propagation problems

    Peter D. wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > There seem to be some propagation problems.
    >
    > I don't know who to blame - let alone how to fix it.
    >
    > There are two different ISPs, two different computers, and a
    > couple of different attempts to configure one of them.
    >
    > This message is being sent from Knode via Leafnode, allowing
    > Leafnode to generate the message-ID. UTC is 04:44 Sunday.
    >
    > Could the first two or three people outside of Australia
    > please respond to this message.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Made it to Virginia, USA.

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  7. Re: propagation problems

    On 1 Jul at 5:45 "Peter D." wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > There seem to be some propagation problems.
    >
    > I don't know who to blame - let alone how to fix it.
    >
    > There are two different ISPs, two different computers, and a couple of
    > different attempts to configure one of them.
    >
    > This message is being sent from Knode via Leafnode, allowing Leafnode to
    > generate the message-ID. UTC is 04:44 Sunday.
    >
    > Could the first two or three people outside of Australia please respond to
    > this message.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Got to England at 04:55.

    --
    Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
    Buckinghamshire, England

  8. Re: propagation problems

    Peter D. wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > There seem to be some propagation problems.
    >
    > I don't know who to blame - let alone how to fix it.
    >
    > There are two different ISPs, two different computers, and a
    > couple of different attempts to configure one of them.
    >
    > This message is being sent from Knode via Leafnode, allowing
    > Leafnode to generate the message-ID. UTC is 04:44 Sunday.
    >
    > Could the first two or three people outside of Australia
    > please respond to this message.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Finally, upside down (Austria) ;-)

  9. Re: propagation problems

    Peter D. wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > There seem to be some propagation problems.
    >
    > I don't know who to blame - let alone how to fix it.
    >
    > There are two different ISPs, two different computers, and a
    > couple of different attempts to configure one of them.
    >
    > This message is being sent from Knode via Leafnode, allowing
    > Leafnode to generate the message-ID. UTC is 04:44 Sunday.
    >
    > Could the first two or three people outside of Australia
    > please respond to this message.

    This is bad. Google groups is working better than Usenet.

    According to
    http://groups.google.com.au/group/al...60a2fa11ab93bc
    There are eight posts in this thread, but it does not show my
    original. Imotgm, Blinky, David, Whiskers, Jim, Tony & Walter have
    responded. Usenet is only showing me three; my original, David's &
    Walter's.

    The time line so far (response times not arrival times);

    Sun 04:45 UTC (14:45 Melbourne)
    Posted original message.
    04:55 UTC (23:55 in -5 timezone) First response, gg only.
    05:04 UTC (??:04 in Los Angeles) gg only.
    07:44 UTC (03:44 London, Ontario, Canada)
    This message got back to Melbourne late Sunday,
    about noon UTC
    12:06 UTC (13:06 in +1 timezone) gg only.
    13:06 UTC (??:06 in Virginia, USA) gg only.
    13:18 UTC (14:18 BST Buckinghamshire, England) gg only,
    BUT 04:55 written in message. 10 min from Aus. to Eng.
    Eight hours to get from Buckinghamshire to Google?
    18:55 UTC (20:55 Austria)
    This message got back to Melbourne early Monday
    Mon 01:30 UTC (11:30 Melbourne, Australia)
    Posting this summary.

    Sorry if I have miscalculated any times.

    Messages seem to be getting out of Australia quickly, but responses
    are not finding their way back.

    This should be (at least) the ninth message in this thread how many
    do other people see?

    Now the hard question. What do I do about it? Learn to love the
    gg interface? Who do I complain to?

    --
    Peter D.
    Sig goes here...

  10. Re: propagation problems

    Peter D. wrote:
    > This should be (at least) the ninth message in this thread how many
    > do other people see?

    Nine here in Virginia, USA.

    > Now the hard question. What do I do about it? Learn to love the
    > gg interface? Who do I complain to?

    Those in the U.S. who have problems with USENET often subscribe to
    a German service. Independent.de ? Someone help me!
    The service used to be free (a university affiliate, I seem to
    remember), but now charges a modest fee. Worth taking a look at.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  11. Re: propagation problems

    Peter D. wrote:
    > Now the hard question. What do I do about it? Learn to love the
    > gg interface? Who do I complain to?

    I have only had internet access since late 1995, but I remember that
    in the past, Australia internet access for end users was limited by
    two things: limited undersea cable, and a monopoly on end-user
    telephony.

    I have not been keeping close tabs on the situation, but I remember
    reading maybe seven years ago that a new undersea cable would be laid
    to improve Australia's internet connectivity. Dunno the status of
    end-user telephony, but I think I remember reading a few years ago
    that the situation is better now since Australia end users would not
    necessarily be charged by the minute for their dialup internet
    access.

    I suggest complaining to your ISP or switching ISPs (if possible).

  12. Re: propagation problems

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > Those in the U.S. who have problems with USENET often subscribe to
    > a German service. Independent.de ? Someone help me!
    > The service used to be free (a university affiliate, I seem to
    > remember), but now charges a modest fee. Worth taking a look at.

    individual.net

    http://news.individual.net/

  13. Re: propagation problems

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 21:30:50 -0400, Peter D. wrote:

    > This is bad. Google groups is working better than Usenet.

    I have the same problem, when I use the service setup by my
    isp, which they've outsourced to mci.com (aka uunet).

    I'm using a free server from Germany, news.motzarella.org, which
    you can register for an account at http://www.motzarella.org

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  14. Re: propagation problems

    Peter D. wrote:

    > Peter D. wrote:

    > This is bad. Google groups is working better than Usenet.
    >
    > According to

    http://groups.google.com.au/group/al...60a2fa11ab93bc
    > There are eight posts in this thread, but it does not show my
    > original. Imotgm, Blinky, David, Whiskers, Jim, Tony & Walter have
    > responded. Usenet is only showing me three; my original, David's &
    > Walter's.

    Now (monday morning here) I can see all 9 posts and followups,
    all of them transferred via

    server = news.chello.at >>> my ISP
    server = news.readfreenews.net >>> this one on my leafnode config list
    server = geiz-ist-geil.priv.at
    server = news.grc.com
    server = news.gmane.org
    server = nntp.aioe.org

    I can only suggest subscribing to a bunch of different news servers.

  15. Re: propagation problems

    Scott B. wrote:
    > Peter D. wrote:
    >> Now the hard question. What do I do about it? Learn to love the
    >> gg interface? Who do I complain to?

    > I have only had internet access since late 1995, but I remember that
    > in the past, Australia internet access for end users was limited by
    > two things: limited undersea cable, and a monopoly on end-user
    > telephony.

    A little Googling for world submarine cable map Australia shows a couple
    of cables running through Indonesia and then connecting into networks
    leading to Europe, plus (on the east) one cable running to Guam and from
    there either East or West with consequent worldwide connectivity,
    another running more-or-less direct to Hawaii and a third running via
    New Zealand to Hawaii, with the Hawaii connection yielding worldwide
    connectivity.

    Telstra has announced a 1.2 terabit/second cable to Hawaii that will
    likely be completed in mid-2008. And there are satellite links that
    will carry data quite nicely, albeit with a fraction of a second delay
    each time you have to start up an new series of packets.

    I don't think connectivity is currently a problem, though cost to
    the user or regulatory affairs may constrain things.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  16. Re: propagation problems

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > A little Googling for world submarine cable map Australia shows a couple
    > of cables running through Indonesia and then connecting into networks
    > leading to Europe, plus (on the east) one cable running to Guam and from
    > there either East or West with consequent worldwide connectivity,
    > another running more-or-less direct to Hawaii and a third running via
    > New Zealand to Hawaii, with the Hawaii connection yielding worldwide
    > connectivity.

    I googled for
    world submarine cable map Australia
    but I did not find satisfying results. Please provide some URLs.
    Thanks in advance.

  17. Re: propagation problems

    Peter D. wrote:
    > Peter D. wrote:

    [snip]
    >> Could the first two or three people outside of Australia
    >> please respond to this message.

    > This is bad. Google groups is working better than Usenet.
    >
    > According to

    http://groups.google.com.au/group/al...60a2fa11ab93bc
    > There are eight posts in this thread, but it does not show my
    > original. Imotgm, Blinky, David, Whiskers, Jim, Tony & Walter have
    > responded. Usenet is only showing me three; my original, David's &
    > Walter's.

    [snip]

    Jim's response to my original post has made it down under.
    A total of eight posts are visible to me via Usenet, gg says that
    there are 16.

    When I get home I'll look to see what my ISP is up to. It looks
    like it is not purely an ISP problem. Maybe I will have to pay for
    Usenet separately.

    The overall internet access to Aus. must have been upgraded many
    times since 1995, but I doubt that that is the problem. Somewhere
    not enough bandwidth or priority has been allocated to one or more
    news servers.

    There is no longer a monopoly on telecommunications, so that is
    not the problem. Dial-up pay-by-the-minute accounts probably still
    exist, but I'm not using one.

    Thank you.

    --
    Peter D.
    Sig goes here...

  18. Re: propagation problems

    Peter D. wrote:
    > Peter D. wrote:
    >> Peter D. wrote:

    > [snip]
    >>> Could the first two or three people outside of Australia
    >>> please respond to this message.

    >> This is bad. Google groups is working better than Usenet.
    >>
    >> According to
    >>

    > http://groups.google.com.au/group/al...60a2fa11ab93bc
    >> There are eight posts in this thread, but it does not show my
    >> original. Imotgm, Blinky, David, Whiskers, Jim, Tony & Walter have
    >> responded. Usenet is only showing me three; my original, David's &
    >> Walter's.

    > [snip]
    >
    > Jim's response to my original post has made it down under.
    > A total of eight posts are visible to me via Usenet, gg says that
    > there are 16.
    >
    > When I get home I'll look to see what my ISP is up to. It looks
    > like it is not purely an ISP problem. Maybe I will have to pay for
    > Usenet separately.

    ISP news feeds usually suck. I haven't depended on one in years.

    If you don't need binaries, spend ten yooros or about 13 US clams a
    *year* and hook up with:

    http://news.individual.net/

    And read this:

    http://blinkynet.net/comp/individual.html

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  19. Re: propagation problems

    Scott B. wrote:
    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >> A little Googling for world submarine cable map Australia shows a couple
    >> of cables running through Indonesia and then connecting into networks
    >> leading to Europe, plus (on the east) one cable running to Guam and from
    >> there either East or West with consequent worldwide connectivity,
    >> another running more-or-less direct to Hawaii and a third running via
    >> New Zealand to Hawaii, with the Hawaii connection yielding worldwide
    >> connectivity.

    > I googled for
    > world submarine cable map Australia
    > but I did not find satisfying results. Please provide some URLs.
    > Thanks in advance.

    Start with this one, the fourth item returned by Google when I
    searched.

    http://www.telegeography.com/product...able/index.php

    Then try this one.

    http://www1.alcatel-lucent.com/subma...rld_Map_LR.pdf

    FWIW, if you go to the Wiki item appearing as the fifth item
    returned by Google,

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submari...ications_cable

    and scroll down to External Links, you will find links to both
    the above, plus some other things.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  20. Re: propagation problems

    on Monday 02 July 2007 13:04
    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 21:30:50 -0400, Peter D. wrote:
    >
    >> This is bad. Google groups is working better than Usenet.

    > I have the same problem, when I use the service setup by my
    > isp, which they've outsourced to mci.com (aka uunet).
    >
    > I'm using a free server from Germany, news.motzarella.org, which
    > you can register for an account at http://www.motzarella.org

    I'm home. My ISP has not sorted itself out. It also had (has?)
    a problem with mail. I have subscribed to Motzarella.
    Everything that has made it through to gg seems to have made it
    to Motzarella.

    Thank you everyone.

    --
    sig goes here...