mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0.i586.rpm - Mandriva

This is a discussion on mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0.i586.rpm - Mandriva ; Tried running this rpm. I get the message Some requested packages cannot be installed: mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied libmozilla-firefox2.0.0.4[== 0:2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0]) All right, I found libmozilla-firefox2.0.0.4.rpm [root@manduck temp]# urpmi libmozilla-firefox2.0.0.1-2.0.0.1-6mud2007.0.i586.rpm Some requested packages cannot be installed: libmozilla-firefox2.0.0.1-2.0.0.1-6mud2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied libnss3[>= ...

  1. mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

    Tried running this rpm. I get the message

    Some requested packages cannot be installed:
    mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied
    libmozilla-firefox2.0.0.4[== 0:2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0])

    All right, I found libmozilla-firefox2.0.0.4.rpm

    [root@manduck temp]# urpmi libmozilla-firefox2.0.0.1-2.0.0.1-6mud2007.0.i586.rpm
    Some requested packages cannot be installed:
    libmozilla-firefox2.0.0.1-2.0.0.1-6mud2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied libnss3[>= 2:2.0.0.1])

    libnss3.so is installed on my machine. I tried moving it out of /usr/lib,
    running rpm --rebuilddb and reinstalling it with urpmi; no joy.

    I also have, from the Mozilla site, firefox-2.0.0.4.tar.gz
    .... There are supposedly instructions on the Mozilla web site on how to
    install this, apparently by copying the contents of the directory it
    creates when unpacked over existing mozilla files. But which ones, and
    where?

    Assistance, please? System is running mandriva2000, patched currently.
    Thanks.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630N 117.754195W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org

  2. Re: mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 20:54:51 -0700, Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > I also have, from the Mozilla site, firefox-2.0.0.4.tar.gz
    > ... There are supposedly instructions on the Mozilla web site on how to
    > install this, apparently by copying the contents of the directory it
    > creates when unpacked over existing mozilla files. But which ones, and
    > where?

    Your choice. I created a partition, /local for my third party apps
    because I have a multi-boot system and share it accross different
    releases and distributions. Snippet from my admin diary follows:

    #************************************************* ****************
    #*
    #* firefox-2.0.0.4_install.txt
    #*
    #* Package downloaded from http://www.mozilla.com/
    #*
    #* Note: install assumes when you do a
    #* echo $PATH
    #* you see /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin to run the
    #* local install instead of the distributions firefox.
    #*
    #************************************************* ****************

    # close all email/browser accounts/apps

    Click up a terminal, login as root
    su - root

    # goto install location

    cd /local/opt
    tar zxvf /accounts/downloads/firefox-2.0.0.4.tar.gz
    mv firefox firefox-2.0.0.4

    # move the runtime app's link

    cd /usr/local/bin
    /bin/rm -f /usr/local/bin/firefox
    ln -s /local/opt/firefox-2.0.0.4/firefox /usr/local/bin
    ls -al /usr/local/bin

    # test as root, run firefox, exit it, run again, exit firefox

    cd
    pwd
    /usr/local/bin/firefox

    # If needed, add libs for firefox/thunderbird
    urpmi libstdc++5

    #****************** end firefox-2.0.0.4_install.txt *************************

  3. Re: mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 04:54:51 +0100, Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > I also have, from the Mozilla site, firefox-2.0.0.4.tar.gz ... There are
    > supposedly instructions on the Mozilla web site on how to install this,
    > apparently by copying the contents of the directory it creates when
    > unpacked over existing mozilla files. But which ones, and where?
    >
    > Assistance, please? System is running mandriva2000, patched currently.
    > Thanks.

    You can keep mozilla-firefox anywhere you like. When you untar the tarball
    it will create a directory "firefox" and will put all the files there. You
    can keep the firefox directory in your home directory if you wish. Within
    that directory there is a file "firefox". You click on that file to run
    firefox. I had untarred the tarball within my hone directory and then
    moved the firefox directory, as root, to /opt directory. I have created a
    desktop icon linked to /opt/firefox/firefox and run firefox from there. It
    is easier to install the tarball version than the .rpm version as there is
    no dependency problems.

    --
    jabali

  4. Re: mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 04:15:23 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > #****************** end firefox-2.0.0.4_install.txt
    > *************************

    Thanks. I now have 2.0 running. Appreciate it.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630N 117.754195W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org
    "The two most abundant substances in the Universe are hydrogen

  5. Re: mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 23:06:16 -0700, Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > Thanks. I now have 2.0 running. Appreciate it.

    And I have reverted to 1.5 ... the Doonesbury/Slate page (among others)
    crashes 2.0. Gak.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630N 117.754195W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org
    "The two most abundant substances in the Universe are hydrogen

  6. Re: mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 16:50:02 -0700, Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > And I have reverted to 1.5 ... the Doonesbury/Slate page (among others)
    > crashes 2.0. Gak.

    what is the url you are using??

  7. Re: mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

    http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/dail...doonpromo.html
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630N 117.754195W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org
    "The two most abundant substances in the Universe are hydrogen

  8. Re: mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 20:23:19 -0700, Gary G. Taylor wrote:

    > And I have reverted to 1.5 ... the Doonesbury/Slate page (among others)
    > crashes 2.0. Gak.
    >
    > http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/dail...doonpromo.html

    Works for me.
    Dailydose page indicates it uses flash and I did enable java.

    #********** start Shockwaveflash playser install *********
    #*
    #* Shockwaveflash player 9 install
    #*
    #* Download tar file from
    #*
    #* http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash
    #*
    #*
    #* The following assumes you have setup global environment for
    #* Firefox plugins. If not, you use the Firefox plugin's directory.
    #*
    #* Example snippet from my /local/bin/xx_local.sh. Permissions:
    #* -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2964 Feb 25 17:23 /local/bin/xx_local.sh
    #*
    #* xx_local.sh has a link to it from /etc/profile.d
    #*
    #* #********************************************
    #* # set global firefox/mozilla plugin directory
    #* #********************************************
    #*
    #* export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    #* if [ "$HOME" ]; then
    #* export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=$MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH:$HOME/.mozilla/plugins
    #* fi
    #*
    #************************************************* **********

    # close all email/browser accounts/apps
    # click up a terminal

    su - root

    mkdir -p /root/tmp
    cd /root/tmp
    /bin/rm -rf *flash_player*
    tar -xvzf /accounts/downloads/install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
    cd *flash_player*

    ../flashplayer-installer
    /usr/lib/mozilla

    cp flashplayer.xpt /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    cd
    /bin/rm -r /root/tmp/*flash_player*

    exit

    # to test flash

    click up a browser in your user account and click red button to roll
    dice at http://sprojects.mmi.mcgill.ca/help/flash_test.htm

    #**************** end Shockwaveflash playser install ***************

  9. Re: mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 20:23:19 -0700, Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> And I have reverted to 1.5 ... the Doonesbury/Slate page (among others)
    >> crashes 2.0. Gak.
    >>
    >> http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/dail...doonpromo.html

    > Works for me.
    > Dailydose page indicates it uses flash and I did enable java.
    >
    > #********** start Shockwaveflash playser install *********
    > #*
    > #* Shockwaveflash player 9 install
    > #*
    > #* Download tar file from
    > #*
    > #* http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash
    > #*
    > #*

    I see that's the download link for v31. Flash for Linux still lags
    behind Windows. I'm a farmer, and I like to watch the video of
    the local TV weather forecast (9wsyr.com) if I happen to miss it on TV.
    Up until about two weeks ago, I had no problem doing so, but not any
    longer. The station updated their Flash software, and it doesn't work
    with Flash Player 9.0 v31 for Linux. Oh, the preliminary ad plays OK,
    but it doesn't move on to what I really wanted to see. I complained to
    the station and suggested they roll back to the previous version until a
    newer one became available for Linux. They politely informed me that
    they were sorry but that wasn't possible.

    Anybody have any idea when the next flash update will come out for Linux?

    TJ

  10. Re: mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

    On 2007-07-02, TJ wrote:

    > I see that's the download link for v31. Flash for Linux still lags
    > behind Windows. I'm a farmer, and I like to watch the video of
    > the local TV weather forecast (9wsyr.com) if I happen to miss it on TV.
    > Up until about two weeks ago, I had no problem doing so, but not any
    > longer. The station updated their Flash software, and it doesn't work
    > with Flash Player 9.0 v31 for Linux. Oh, the preliminary ad plays OK,
    > but it doesn't move on to what I really wanted to see. I complained to
    > the station and suggested they roll back to the previous version until a
    > newer one became available for Linux. They politely informed me that
    > they were sorry but that wasn't possible.
    >
    > Anybody have any idea when the next flash update will come out for Linux?

    Are you sure the station isn't using Flash for the
    preliminary ad and then changing to a format specific to
    Windhose Media Player for the feature content? My local
    station (kptv.com) appears to do that for some stories.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  11. Re: mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > On 2007-07-02, TJ wrote:
    >> I see that's the download link for v31. Flash for Linux still lags
    >> behind Windows. I'm a farmer, and I like to watch the video of
    >> the local TV weather forecast (9wsyr.com) if I happen to miss it on TV.
    >> Up until about two weeks ago, I had no problem doing so, but not any
    >> longer. The station updated their Flash software, and it doesn't work
    >> with Flash Player 9.0 v31 for Linux. Oh, the preliminary ad plays OK,
    >> but it doesn't move on to what I really wanted to see. I complained to
    >> the station and suggested they roll back to the previous version until a
    >> newer one became available for Linux. They politely informed me that
    >> they were sorry but that wasn't possible.
    >>
    >> Anybody have any idea when the next flash update will come out for Linux?

    > Are you sure the station isn't using Flash for the
    > preliminary ad and then changing to a format specific to
    > Windhose Media Player for the feature content? My local
    > station (kptv.com) appears to do that for some stories.

    Nope, I don't. All I really know is one week it worked fine, the next it
    no longer did. I do remember that the broadcast network sites where you
    can view shows did the same thing, until I was able to upgrade to Flash
    9.0. Then, they worked fine. However, it's been a while, and I now see
    that ABC, at least, requires a Win 2000/XP or Mac version of Firefox to
    work.

    So maybe I'm just out of luck.

    TJ

  12. Re: mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

    On 2007-07-04, TJ wrote:
    > Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >> On 2007-07-02, TJ wrote:
    >>> I see that's the download link for v31. Flash for Linux still lags
    >>> behind Windows. I'm a farmer, and I like to watch the video of
    >>> the local TV weather forecast (9wsyr.com) if I happen to miss it on TV.
    >>> Up until about two weeks ago, I had no problem doing so, but not any
    >>> longer. The station updated their Flash software, and it doesn't work
    >>> with Flash Player 9.0 v31 for Linux. Oh, the preliminary ad plays OK,
    >>> but it doesn't move on to what I really wanted to see. I complained to
    >>> the station and suggested they roll back to the previous version until a
    >>> newer one became available for Linux. They politely informed me that
    >>> they were sorry but that wasn't possible.
    >>>
    >>> Anybody have any idea when the next flash update will come out for Linux?

    >> Are you sure the station isn't using Flash for the
    >> preliminary ad and then changing to a format specific to
    >> Windhose Media Player for the feature content? My local
    >> station (kptv.com) appears to do that for some stories.
    >>

    > Nope, I don't. All I really know is one week it worked fine, the next it
    > no longer did. I do remember that the broadcast network sites where you
    > can view shows did the same thing, until I was able to upgrade to Flash
    > 9.0. Then, they worked fine. However, it's been a while, and I now see
    > that ABC, at least, requires a Win 2000/XP or Mac version of Firefox to
    > work.
    >
    > So maybe I'm just out of luck.

    Depending on what they're actually sending, there may be a
    chance installing some codecs might help. However, that's
    just based on my lurking and not from any experience of my
    own.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  13. Re: mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

    On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 21:57:09 -0400, TJ wrote:

    I do remember that the broadcast network sites where you
    > can view shows did the same thing, until I was able to upgrade to Flash
    > 9.0. Then, they worked fine. However, it's been a while, and I now see
    > that ABC, at least, requires a Win 2000/XP or Mac version of Firefox to
    > work.

    http://ll.static.abc.com/streaming/j...20.js?20060502
    would seem to suggest flash 8.0.0 or better should work.

    It is a pretty tough piece of code. Using agent switcher from
    and it did not like IE 7 Vista.

  14. Re: mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 21:57:09 -0400, TJ wrote:
    >
    > I do remember that the broadcast network sites where you
    >> can view shows did the same thing, until I was able to upgrade to Flash
    >> 9.0. Then, they worked fine. However, it's been a while, and I now see
    >> that ABC, at least, requires a Win 2000/XP or Mac version of Firefox to
    >> work.

    > http://ll.static.abc.com/streaming/j...20.js?20060502
    > would seem to suggest flash 8.0.0 or better should work.
    >
    > It is a pretty tough piece of code. Using agent switcher from
    > and it did not like IE 7 Vista.

    I did this: I went to abc.com, then clicked on the link that said
    something like "watch episodes." I was immediately taken to a page that
    said (again paraphrasing), "Sorry. Our new episode viewer will only work
    with Windows 2000/XP IE7, Firefox 2.0.something, and something else, and
    Mac Firefox and Safari. Please download one of these browsers and come
    back."

    Maybe if I changed my Firefox "signature" to look like IE it would work,
    but I kinda doubt it. Anyway, I didn't feel like going to all that
    trouble last night. I spent years unable to watch weather forecasts
    unless I actually caught them on TV. I can do that again.

    TJ

  15. Re: mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > On 2007-07-04, TJ wrote:
    >> Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    >>> Are you sure the station isn't using Flash for the
    >>> preliminary ad and then changing to a format specific to
    >>> Windhose Media Player for the feature content? My local
    >>> station (kptv.com) appears to do that for some stories.
    >>>

    >> Nope, I don't. All I really know is one week it worked fine, the next it
    >> no longer did. I do remember that the broadcast network sites where you
    >> can view shows did the same thing, until I was able to upgrade to Flash
    >> 9.0. Then, they worked fine. However, it's been a while, and I now see
    >> that ABC, at least, requires a Win 2000/XP or Mac version of Firefox to
    >> work.
    >>
    >> So maybe I'm just out of luck.

    > Depending on what they're actually sending, there may be a
    > chance installing some codecs might help. However, that's
    > just based on my lurking and not from any experience of my
    > own.

    Yep, it's probably some kind of Windows thing. Yesterday afternoon I
    tried booting into Windows 98SE, and after my antivirus program scolded
    me for not updating my database for two months, I was able to watch the
    videos using Firefox 2.0.0.2 and Flash 9.0 v28. Those were what I
    happened to have installed. It worked just fine. So I can watch the
    videos if I want to badly enough. I just have to put up with that bad
    taste Windows always leaves in my mouth.

    TJ

  16. Re: mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

    On 2007-07-05, TJ wrote:

    > Yep, it's probably some kind of Windows thing. Yesterday afternoon I
    > tried booting into Windows 98SE, and after my antivirus program scolded
    > me for not updating my database for two months, I was able to watch the
    > videos using Firefox 2.0.0.2 and Flash 9.0 v28. Those were what I
    > happened to have installed. It worked just fine. So I can watch the
    > videos if I want to badly enough. I just have to put up with that bad
    > taste Windows always leaves in my mouth.

    Sometimes, several strong mints will help with that. :-)

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  17. Re: mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.4-5mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

    On 2007-07-05, TJ wrote:
    > Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    [...]

    > Yep, it's probably some kind of Windows thing. Yesterday afternoon I
    > tried booting into Windows 98SE, and after my antivirus program scolded
    > me for not updating my database for two months, I was able to watch the
    > videos using Firefox 2.0.0.2 and Flash 9.0 v28. Those were what I
    > happened to have installed. It worked just fine. So I can watch the
    > videos if I want to badly enough. I just have to put up with that bad
    > taste Windows always leaves in my mouth.
    >
    > TJ

    You might be interested in 'Crossover Office'
    . Not 'free', but it does
    allow some Windows-only browser plugins (and other things) to be used with
    Linux systems. 'Wine' is the free and open-source product associated with
    it, but isn't as easy to set up and won't necessarily do all that the
    commercial product can do.

    If you require the commercial product for your business, then I think in
    most countries the cost could be off-set against tax.

    --
    -- Whiskers

+ Reply to Thread