Genealogy program for Mandriva? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Genealogy program for Mandriva? - Mandriva ; (Re-posted, as original sems to havev gone astray...) Looking for a genealogy program for Mandriva (2007). Having Googled, I've seen a reference to a port of Gramps to Mandriva, but MCC doesn't seem to know about it. Also looked at ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

  1. Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    (Re-posted, as original sems to havev gone astray...)

    Looking for a genealogy program for Mandriva (2007).

    Having Googled, I've seen a reference to a port of Gramps to Mandriva, but
    MCC doesn't seem to know about it.

    Also looked at the Gramps site, which said that - with Mandriva - one just
    did "urpmi gramps", but the response when I tried that was:

    "No package named gramps"

    (and I have 'contrib' as a source in urpmi setup).

    Ideas welcome!

    --
    Maurice

  2. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:31:45 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Also looked at the Gramps site, which said that - with Mandriva - one just
    > did "urpmi gramps", but the response when I tried that was:
    >
    > "No package named gramps"
    >
    > (and I have 'contrib' as a source in urpmi setup).

    Hmmm, looking at 2007.0 and 2007.1 contrib mirrors I find
    contrib-2007.0.idx:gramps-2.0.11-3mdv2007.0.noarch.rpm 5623977 Apr 11 20:57
    contrib-2007.1.idx:gramps-2.2.6-1mdv2007.1.noarch.rpm 15142666 Mar 29 12:20
    contrib_backports-2007.0.idx:gramps-2.2.4-1mdv2007.0.noarch.rpm 12369352 Jan 05 20:27

  3. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:31:45 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > (Re-posted, as original sems to havev gone astray...)
    >
    > Looking for a genealogy program for Mandriva (2007).
    >
    > Having Googled, I've seen a reference to a port of Gramps to Mandriva,
    > but MCC doesn't seem to know about it.
    >
    > Also looked at the Gramps site, which said that - with Mandriva - one
    > just did "urpmi gramps", but the response when I tried that was:
    >
    > "No package named gramps"
    >
    > (and I have 'contrib' as a source in urpmi setup).
    >
    > Ideas welcome!

    Well, 'gramps' is in contrib:

    # urpmq --sources gramps
    ftp://ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/ma....1/i586/media/
    contrib/release/gramps-2.2.6-1mdv2007.1.noarch.rpm

    Try my mirror if it's not in yours.

    HTH
    --
    Registered Linux User #: 222896
    Larry W. Hatcher

  4. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On 2007-06-30, Maurice Batey wrote:
    > (Re-posted, as original sems to havev gone astray...)
    >
    > Looking for a genealogy program for Mandriva (2007).
    >
    > Having Googled, I've seen a reference to a port of Gramps to Mandriva, but
    > MCC doesn't seem to know about it.
    >
    > Also looked at the Gramps site, which said that - with Mandriva - one just
    > did "urpmi gramps", but the response when I tried that was:
    >
    > "No package named gramps"
    >
    > (and I have 'contrib' as a source in urpmi setup).
    >
    > Ideas welcome!

    Update your contrib 'source'? I can FTP to both

    MandrivaLinux/official/2007.0/i586/media/contrib/release/gramps-2.0.11-3mdv2007.0.noarch.rpm

    and

    MandrivaLinux/official/2007.1/i586/media/contrib/release/gramps-2.2.6-1mdv2007.1.noarch.rpm

    on the urpmi mirror I use (use the 2007.0 or 2007.1 version depending on
    which version of Mandriva you are using).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  5. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On 2007-06-30, Maurice Batey wrote:
    > (Re-posted, as original sems to havev gone astray...)
    >
    > Looking for a genealogy program for Mandriva (2007).
    >
    > Having Googled, I've seen a reference to a port of Gramps to Mandriva, but
    > MCC doesn't seem to know about it.
    >
    > Also looked at the Gramps site, which said that - with Mandriva - one just
    > did "urpmi gramps", but the response when I tried that was:
    >
    > "No package named gramps"
    >
    > (and I have 'contrib' as a source in urpmi setup).
    >
    > Ideas welcome!

    As other posters have said, the Gramps binary package for
    Mandriva should be in the contrib branch. I got mine from
    there for 2007.0. If you have difficulty finding it, I'd be
    happy to help you get a copy.

    Gramps is a good package. If by some chance you have some
    reason to prefer PAF (Personal Ancestral File), it runs
    quite well under WINE, as the AppDB page tries to describe.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  6. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > (Re-posted, as original sems to havev gone astray...)
    >
    > Looking for a genealogy program for Mandriva (2007).
    > Having Googled, I've seen a reference to a port of Gramps to Mandriva, but
    > MCC doesn't seem to know about it.
    > Also looked at the Gramps site, which said that - with Mandriva - one just
    > did "urpmi gramps", but the response when I tried that was:
    > "No package named gramps"
    >
    > (and I have 'contrib' as a source in urpmi setup).
    >
    > Ideas welcome!

    [root@jb zcensuslists]# urpmi --no-install gramps
    ftp://ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/ma...ficial/2007.1/
    x86_64/media/contrib/release/gramps-2.2.6-1mdv2007.1.noarch.rpm
    /* The above was all one long line, of course */

    A check of /var/cache/urpmi shows:
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15142666 Mar 29 12:20 gramps-2.2.6-1mdv2007.1.noarch.rpm

    Looks like you need to update your mirrors. As root,
    urpmi.removemedia -a
    and then launch mcc, go to Manage Software, Sources,
    and add new sources.

    Or go to http://www.geneweb.org/ and download/install
    GeneWeb 5.00 (or later, if a new version has come out).

    Cheers!

    jim b.
    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  7. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 20:38:28 +0000, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > If by some chance you have some reason to
    > prefer PAF (Personal Ancestral File), it runs quite well under WINE,

    I used to use PAF many years ago, when it was distributed on floppies!

    --
    Maurice

  8. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    Maurice Batey a écrit :
    > (Re-posted, as original sems to havev gone astray...)
    >
    > Looking for a genealogy program for Mandriva (2007).
    >
    > Having Googled, I've seen a reference to a port of Gramps to Mandriva, but
    > MCC doesn't seem to know about it.
    >
    > Also looked at the Gramps site, which said that - with Mandriva - one just
    > did "urpmi gramps", but the response when I tried that was:
    >
    > "No package named gramps"
    >
    > (and I have 'contrib' as a source in urpmi setup).
    >
    > Ideas welcome!

    If you are adept at installing on a server you may also want to look at
    TNG (The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding) which is an awesome
    programme.

    http://lythgoes.net/genealogy/software.php

    Marc

  9. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 20:22:06 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

    > MandrivaLinux/official/2007.0/i586/media/contrib/release/
    > gramps-2.0.11-3mdv2007.0.noarch.rpm

    What should the front end of that be to get Firefox to fetch the RPM?

    (Tried it with "ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu.. "
    but failed: "550 Failed to change directory"

    --
    Maurice

  10. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 01:38:56 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Looks like you need to update your mirrors. As root, urpmi.removemedia
    > -a and then launch mcc, go to Manage Software, Sources, and add new
    > sources.

    Thanks, Jim. The problem is that I don't have broadband.
    (A few weeks ago it took 7 hours on a dial-up connection to set up
    my urpmi system, so I'm disappointed it can't find gramps.)

    When you say "urpmi.removemedia -a .....Add new sources", how big an
    operation is that?
    (urpmi is still new-fangled for me since moving to Mandriva
    (2007.0)
    earlier this year, so the significance of those op's eludes me.)

    (Actually, my MCC's "Select from where software pacakes are d/l..."
    leads on to 'Media Manager', which doesn't show "Add new sources"
    option.sp can't see what you mean by "Add new sources"...)

    Guess the simplest thing to do would be to download the RPM separately
    from somewhere, if I could only figure out how to navigate Firefox to
    it.

    --
    Maurice

  11. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On 2007-07-02, Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 01:38:56 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> Looks like you need to update your mirrors. As root, urpmi.removemedia
    >> -a and then launch mcc, go to Manage Software, Sources, and add new
    >> sources.

    > Thanks, Jim. The problem is that I don't have broadband.
    > (A few weeks ago it took 7 hours on a dial-up connection to set up
    > my urpmi system, so I'm disappointed it can't find gramps.)
    >
    > When you say "urpmi.removemedia -a .....Add new sources", how big an
    > operation is that?
    > (urpmi is still new-fangled for me since moving to Mandriva
    > (2007.0)
    > earlier this year, so the significance of those op's eludes me.)
    >
    > (Actually, my MCC's "Select from where software pacakes are d/l..."
    > leads on to 'Media Manager', which doesn't show "Add new sources"
    > option.sp can't see what you mean by "Add new sources"...)

    The button should be labelled 'Add...'; it is one of several arranged on
    the right-hand side of that window.

    In that 'Media Manager' window, you should see a list of all the sources
    currently installed and 'enabled'. Click on the one called 'Contrib' and
    then click on the 'Edit' button, and look at the contents of the URL box.
    That should be an ftp or http address, if you have succesfully set up your
    on-line 'urpmi sources'. That is the place where you can point a web
    browser to download individual files if you don't want to let the
    automated software do it for you. I don't know why your Contrib
    repository doesn't have the RPM for gramps, if it is a valid mirror for
    Mandriva 2007.0.

    > Guess the simplest thing to do would be to download the RPM separately
    > from somewhere, if I could only figure out how to navigate Firefox to
    > it.

    That is certainly one way to do it, but if your mirrors are set up
    properly then there should be no need to do that if the package you want
    is included in the 'Contrib' repository (which a few people have posted
    here it is).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  12. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:42:11 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 20:22:06 +0100, Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> MandrivaLinux/official/2007.0/i586/media/contrib/release/
    >> gramps-2.0.11-3mdv2007.0.noarch.rpm

    > What should the front end of that be to get Firefox to fetch the RPM?
    >
    > (Tried it with "ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu.. "

    If you have your mirror set correctly it would pull
    gramps-2.0.11-3mdv2007.0.noarch.rpm 5493 KB 04/11/2007 08:57:00 PM

    If you are going to do it by hand, here
    ftp://ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/ma...ontrib/release

  13. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On 2007-07-02, Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 20:22:06 +0100, Whiskers wrote:
    >
    >> MandrivaLinux/official/2007.0/i586/media/contrib/release/
    >> gramps-2.0.11-3mdv2007.0.noarch.rpm

    > What should the front end of that be to get Firefox to fetch the RPM?
    >
    > (Tried it with "ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu.. "
    > but failed: "550 Failed to change directory"

    ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.mandri...7.0.noarch.rpm

    HTH

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  14. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:42:11 +0100, I wrote:

    > What should the front end of that be to get Firefox to fetch the RPM?

    Although FTP failed, I was able to steer Firefox through the directory
    levels at gtlib.cc.gatech.edu, and successfully download the gramps rpm for
    2007.0.

    However, when I tried to install it, it appears the mirror I have set up in
    urpmi for 'contrib' (anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk) is missing files, and the
    installation failed:

    "retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with 9 or 0
    Installation failed; some files are missing. You may want to update your
    urpmi database."

    So, is that as simple as replacing the 'anorien' mirror with the 'gtlib'
    mirror, or is some deeper operation needed to complete the installation of
    gramps?

    --
    Maurice

  15. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 19:42:05 +0100, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > "retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with 9 or 0

    I recommend you get into the Global options in the mirror management
    screen and set /wget/ instead of /curl/.

    Changing mirrors is easy just delete it.
    You can pick another mirror from http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    once you have hit step 3 from easyurpmi, click up a terminal

    su - root

    and cut from browser and paste in root terminal.
    After it gets the new *hdlist.cx files, you just do a
    urpmi --wget gramps --auto

    exit

  16. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > However, when I tried to install it, it appears the mirror I have set
    > up in
    > urpmi for 'contrib' (anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk) is missing files, and
    > the installation failed:
    >
    > "retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with 9 or 0
    > Installation failed; some files are missing. You may want to update
    > your
    > urpmi database."

    Warwick University no longer mirror Mandriva. The only UK mirror is now
    http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/c...MandrivaLinux/
    (though the Mandriva site thinks it is in the US for some reason).
    --
    Dave

  17. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 15:33:59 -0400, Dave Pickles wrote:

    > Warwick University no longer mirror Mandriva. The only UK mirror is now
    > http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/c...MandrivaLinux/
    > (though the Mandriva site thinks it is in the US for some reason).

    Whois agrees with them ...
    Domain Name: PSU.EDU
    Registrant:
    Pennsylvania State University

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  18. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 01:38:56 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> Looks like you need to update your mirrors. As root, urpmi.removemedia
    >> -a and then launch mcc, go to Manage Software, Sources, and add new
    >> sources.

    > Thanks, Jim. The problem is that I don't have broadband.
    > (A few weeks ago it took 7 hours on a dial-up connection to set up
    > my urpmi system, so I'm disappointed it can't find gramps.)
    >
    > When you say "urpmi.removemedia -a .....Add new sources", how big an
    > operation is that?
    > (urpmi is still new-fangled for me since moving to Mandriva
    > (2007.0)
    > earlier this year, so the significance of those op's eludes me.)
    >
    > (Actually, my MCC's "Select from where software pacakes are d/l..."
    > leads on to 'Media Manager', which doesn't show "Add new sources"
    > option.sp can't see what you mean by "Add new sources"...)
    >
    > Guess the simplest thing to do would be to download the RPM separately
    > from somewhere, if I could only figure out how to navigate Firefox to
    > it.

    urpmi.removemedia -a requires a fraction of a second after you hit the
    key.

    Assuming 2007.0 is similar to 2007.1, in MCC, Software Management --> Select
    from where software packages are downloaded when updating the system --> Add...
    (button on the right side). You then get a pop-up box offering two sets of
    mirrors. Select one, and after going through the choice of mirror and the
    associated update with that one select the other and go through the routine
    again. I think there are a couple of 600KB files, maybe more or maybe bigger,
    so you are talking 10 minutes or so minimum, and maybe 30 minutes or an hour.
    You will have to enable each, which may repeat the download of the list of
    files available for each.

    To minimize time on line, after removing your sources, use your browser to go
    to easyurpmi.zarb.org and select only the mirrors you need. Main updates and
    contrib are mandatory, and you really should have the plf-free and plf-nonfree
    for commercial/proprietary-in-some-countries packages, but to get gramps you
    could add contrib only. Do the others when you have more time.

    Or, get and use GeneWeb, as I do. I am not familiar with gramps, but Geneweb
    does a fine job for me and does an excellent (better than any other, including
    gramps, according to what I have read) creation of a gedcom file for backup
    purposes or to provide to others. Even GeneWeb is not 100-percent compliant
    with the specification for creating a gedcom, but it is very very close.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  19. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 00:26:53 +0000, Jim Beard wrote:

    > get and use GeneWeb,

    I did take a look at their site, but couldn't see an RPM option.
    (Not into installing from source code or whatever... )

    --
    Maurice

  20. Re: Genealogy program for Mandriva?

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:25:33 +0000, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > tp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.mandriva.com/.......

    Thanks, Robert, but as you may see elsewhere I eventually managed to
    download the RPM. (Although it won't install because a set of python
    files it needs to fetch can't be found (because the mirror site I had
    set up is no longer a mirror site...)

    --
    Maurice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast